Make a donation

Author Topic: GazP's White 5 door DSG Golf GTI  (Read 3889 times)

Offline Gazp172

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 0
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,111314.msg1074399.html#msg1074399
GazP's White 5 door DSG Golf GTI
« on: February 18, 2017, 08:05:41 pm »
    Heyup all!

Thought I'd share my new car and the bits and bobs I'll be doing to it.

Sorry I have no good pics of the car clean other than the one used by the seller.

I'm a total noob to the GTI scene, so will hopefully learn a few things as I go along.

My Car is a 58 plate (registered 20 something of December 2008, so nearly a 2009).
What I thought was full VW service history
57000ish miles

The options are...
  • White - Not sure on the proper name I guess its candy!? Its in Excellent condition though.
  • DSG - Enjoying it for the daily drive and I think it makes it quicker but feels a bit wierd around the corners and coming up to round abouts etc, happy with the choice though.
  • I think its got a highline MFD (think this is standard for a DSG?)
  • Leather heated seats with lumbar - unmarked :)
  • Dual zone climate
  • Auto dim rear view mirror
  • Auto lights
  • Rear parking sensors
  • Leather arm rest - think this is an option?
  • Heated wing mirrors - I think this is an option?
  • 18" Monzas I think theyre called? They have no marks but I think they've been refurbed because they dont look shiny like some of the others I've seen?

Things I've done so far (only had it 2 weeks)
  • Changed oil+filter - VW longlife dealer supplied - Dealer gave me the wrong filter, the muppets which was fun!
  • DSG service by local VW dealer - Guy who sold it said this had been done but I checked with the dealer who serviced it all its life and they say it hadn't :(
  • 4x Goodyear Eagle 3's

Things I'm doing soon

• Ordered a Kenwood DNX521DAB headunit to replace the RCD 300
  • GTI Seat stickers
  • Possibly remove precat and have a map done.
  • Rubber boot mat - is there a genuine/whats the best?

I use the car as a daily and I have 3 kids who get to go in it once or twice a week  so I'd like to keep the car standard looking and comfortable. Is there any good little mods to keep the car standard looking and comfortable.

Ive seen ...

• MFSW
  • Cruise control

anything else anyone would recommend?

Anyway thanks for looking and I'll post pics and updates as I do them! :)
[/list]
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 02:59:08 pm by Gazp172 »

Offline shoaybmakda

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
Re: GazP's White 5 door DSG Golf GTI
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2017, 10:26:56 pm »
@Gazp172 welcome to the forum mate from another candy white Gti owner :)

Feel free to check out my build thread for ideas but rest assured there's plenty of help and advice on this forum should you need it  :happy2:

Offline Gazp172

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,111314.msg1074399.html#msg1074399
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 10:44:53 pm »
Cheers shoaybmakda I'll definatley have a look!

Forgot to mention I fitted a Nextbase dash cam. Never used / had one before so went for the easy option of a Nextbase 312GW.

Really happy with the choice and would definatley recommend it.  For ayone else thinking about a dash cam, but worried about getting one with a speedo builtin the one on the next base can be disabled so its not a problem  :driver:

Its got loads of options and is really configurable so should suit most peoples needs.

I also got a hardwire kit so it turns on and off with the car, it also hides all the cables making for a neat install.

Need to move it about a bit to hide it behind the mirror I'm thinking!

Offline prp74

• Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 126
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2017, 10:59:16 pm »
Welcome. Nice candy White GTI. I have been looking at the Nextbase dash cams. Think halfords have some offers on them.
mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop - SOLD
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Self Park, Keyless, 18" OZ Ultraleggera

Offline Gazp172

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 02:25:35 pm »
Welcome. Nice candy White GTI. I have been looking at the Nextbase dash cams. Think halfords have some offers on them.

Yeah they have a few quid off them at the minute. I went for the one with wifi thinking it would be usefull but tbh, it's easier to just use the click and go mount than wait for the file to transfer really slowly over the peer to peer wifi conenction.

Offline Gazp172

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 02:41:40 pm »
I've given the car its first wash but tbh I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle at the minute. I've recently moved house onto a new estate so its like living on a building site :(
It definatley needs some attention though, going to put this off until the weathers better.

I've also found a something I probably could do with some advice on.

Just behind the front wheel arch I can see a bit of paint has flaked off, is this something I need to recty straight away before it gets worse?

On a different note, I dont think the exhaust tip has ever been cleaned, think I need some Autosol metal polish or something. this got me thinking though, about exhausts in the future, is there any stainless systems that are nice and quiet, not much louder than standard? I'm thinking more if the one at the minute needs replacing for an MOT what are my options?

Pic below is after I cleaned it lol

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 03:14:01 pm »
Have a look into the VW corrosion warranty/goodwill issue. Lots of mk5s are affected by rusty wings and sills. You should be able to claim a repair from VW if your car is deemed eligible. The trick to this is finding a fair dealer who doesn't mess you about. There's at least one huge thread on the subject - do a search and have a good read.

You'd be unlucky if the OEM exhaust system needed replacing, they're actually quite well built and seem to last a while.

But if that's the case, there are loads of options. I'd suggest the first thing you should decide is whether you want any performance gain from a new exhaust. If so, a full (turbo back) system is what you want.

If it's just for looks (and depending what part of the knackered OEM system you want to replace) just get a cat back system, keeping your OEM downpipe and cat(s) in place.

Any real performance gain comes from a bigger downpipe and less restrictive cat/decat. This usually means more noise than a setup with the standard downpipe.

There are some very nicely made exhausts on the market that give a nice boost in power without being too loud or droney. Look into Powervalve. I'm very happy with mine.

Offline Gazp172

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 03:51:22 pm »
Cheers AJP, I'll give the dealer a try who's just done my DSG service and see how I get on (hayselden Barnsley).

If the oem exhaust is solid I'll just buff the tips up and keep it on, thinking about doing the precat for a bit of free power with minimum side effects.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 04:06:27 pm »
Cheers AJP, I'll give the dealer a try who's just done my DSG service and see how I get on (hayselden Barnsley).

If the oem exhaust is solid I'll just buff the tips up and keep it on, thinking about doing the precat for a bit of free power with minimum side effects.
If the standard tips don't come up well enough there's always the option of having a shiny new pair welded on. The standard system isn't bad to be honest, and the pre-cat delete is a nice mod.

Offline Gazp172

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2017, 10:55:00 am »
Had a quick look around the forum and seems to be hit and miss with the dealers and rust warranty, especially the sills.

So I've been thinking  :thinking:

Plan of action I think is to go to my local VW dealer Friday around 11ish (People are happier on Fridays lol) and ask about it. Be all nicey nice, chuck in the fact its got a full VWSH (plan to keep the car and continue the VWSH) and I've recently used them for the DSG service and need the rear discs and pads changing  :grin:

The car doesn't look like its ever been in a smash and I have a HPI saying so too and with no damage (dints / scuffs) to the area.

Wish me luck and I'll keep the thread updated.

Offline Gazp172

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 12:30:47 pm »
Headunit arrived today, I got a little excited thinking I'd been shipped an upgrade by accident...

but it turns out I got what I paid for...

Unit looks good apart from a bit of wear on the volume knob, feel a little bit put out because the buyer stated "there are no marks on the headunit or screen" when clearly there is...

What do you guys recon, am I being a bit picky? Anyway I have found 1 on eBay for £12 and they're very easy to replace (thanks @Octoparrot).

Weather permitting I'll be installing this at work  :smiley:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 12:42:49 pm by Gazp172 »

Offline Gazp172

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 02:02:10 pm »
Nice easy mod adding a bit of colour to the plain leather seat.

Quite a lot of people on here already done this mod. Got them off ebay, the stickers are metal and of good quality and the GTI is indented which is a nice touch. 

Offline Gazp172

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2017, 02:51:03 pm »
Installed the head unit yesterday during my lunch with my boss.

All gone fine apart from I need a double fakra to DIN adapter for my FM signal.

Basically I have this...

and this...

and have ordered one of these...

Head unit fitted...

Fits in and blends perfectly with the car, sound quality is miles better than the old unit. Happy so far  :smiley: