Make a donation

Author Topic: NQSBBK - Rear Caliper Swapout Mod  (Read 22952 times)

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
NQSBBK - Rear Caliper Swapout Mod
« on: January 24, 2013, 11:24:11 pm »
Right.....

Moving on from the NQSBBK front kit which I think its fair to say is by no means perfect but ticks many boxes for those who are running it.

An affordable rear kit is available with the S3/R32 kit but Im not sure how valid that 310mm kit is when running 312mm fronts.....

So doing what i do which is perving over ETKA making stuff fit other stuff, it became obvious that we can make Caddy 2k rear calipers fit the standard 286mm GTI discs simply by swapping them out, the handbrake arm and cable holder all need replacing on the back of them with those already fitted to the standard caliper but thats only a 13mm nut a 30Tx screw and a two prong puller. The calipers are not painted so will need some paint prior to fitting.

So lets be clear....this is doable at home, some might want to send them to jonny@brakecaliperrefurbs.co.uk for some TLC and he is carrying stock at the mo

************ AGAIN IVE NO FINANCIAL INVOLVEMENT WITH JONNY  **************

Why do it.......

The 286mm Kit is a solid disc and unvented and therefore weighs a lot less than the 310mm discs which are around 7.9kg per corner, the caddy caliper has a 41mm piston which is the same size as S3/R32 and TTRS.

So a S3 pedal with only a 12mm reduction in effective radius which is a trade off for about 7kg of unsprung weight and an OEM look, it complements the NQS front kit as its little money and can offer a tangible increase in stability.

Ive sort of had to comment on the TT Forum about why we did the 335mm 4 piston rear kit on the TTRS, theres no doubt that for racing tiny rear brakes are the way to go as it promotes trail brake oversteer for pro drivers to exploit

For us mere mortals with little talent, no roll cage or helmet, suit and gloves or hans device and traffic coming the other way then Id rather have it planted thanks very much.

So keep an eye out for these calipers on ebay or your local breakers and blast em up and paint them and your stock carriers the same colour and Bobs your mothers brother and report your findings on here......

somebody with them fitted already will eventually comment on here.....any guesses as to who it is?

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=dlqd91umobivo9ld4tdapcl6hh&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: NQSBBK - Rear Caliper Swapout Mod
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 11:53:36 pm »
Dave... are the GTI pads reused as well? Seems like a good mod to me, whats the retail on these (from VW)?

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 07:00:14 am »
So am I right in thinking these will slow down the initial bite of the rears and be more progressive, while offering a little more power at the bottom of the pedal?

Milltek tbe, Forge intercooler, AMD map, Eibach Sportlines, Porsche 996 over AMG 330mm homegrown BBK

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 08:55:22 am »
GTI Pads are reused....the ONLY difference once you've swapped over the bracketry on the back is the piston size.

I wouldn't buy new Calipers that's going to be expensive, they normally go for about £100 per pair on the bay, that said they'll probably start fetching more.

One thing that Jonny has had some success with is with swapping the smaller GTI Caliper onto Caddys, he's got a caddy and is on the caddy forums.

The caddy sharpens up a bit with the smaller rears and let's face it you won't find a caddy keeping up with a GTI on a B road.

GTI rears are a bolt on upgrade for caddy owners once you've put the handbrake bracketry on taking the caddy from 232mm to 286mm which is important when you're riding on 20s with a mattress and a 3ft square sub in the back

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 09:08:55 am »

I guess the Rotors will be cheaper than the S3 ones too?

How would you say this compares to the S3 setup when mated with the Aston 4pot/ 362mm ,Dave?  :happy2:

Offline Jaywoo-GTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 09:27:46 am »
Very interested in these.

Offline daz_pd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 7
  • My VRS
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 07:25:22 pm »
thanks for this info Dave! do you have any idea if it would be interchangeable with the newer Bosch setup thats on the rear of my VRS and MK6 GTI Golfs?

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 07:51:12 pm »
No but your lugs are the same in the car so you just need some GTI Caliper carriers and some caddy Calipers and some 286mm discs

There's some caddy Calipers on the bay just popped up

Volkswagen Caddy Mk3 Typ 2K (2004->) Rear Brake Caliper N/S

I've had a couple of sets of these guys and they normally let them go for about £45 each if you ring up

There's a set of Mk5 GTI rears on there for £150

Its mounting up of course especially if the plan is to send them for paint.. That said if you wanted to paint them yourselves its not that bad.....let me explain.

The caddy Calipers are not painted and you could strictly speaking have them bead blasted entire and then paint them having removed the handbrake gubbins to do a good job.

The golf mk5 rear carriers could be dipped and then blasted to get rid of the OEM paint.

Paint them together with that folatec stuff and it starts to make sense

Offline daz_pd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • My VRS
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 08:14:42 pm »
No but your lugs are the same in the car so you just need some GTI Caliper carriers and some caddy Calipers and some 286mm discs

There's some caddy Calipers on the bay just popped up

Volkswagen Caddy Mk3 Typ 2K (2004->) Rear Brake Caliper N/S

I've had a couple of sets of these guys and they normally let them go for about £45 each if you ring up

There's a set of Mk5 GTI rears on there for £150

Its mounting up of course especially if the plan is to send them for paint.. That said if you wanted to paint them yourselves its not that bad.....let me explain.

The caddy Calipers are not painted and you could strictly speaking have them bead blasted entire and then paint them having removed the handbrake gubbins to do a good job.

The golf mk5 rear carriers could be dipped and then blasted to get rid of the OEM paint.

Paint them together with that folatec stuff and it starts to make sense

thanks Dave, I just happen to have a set of spare GTI rear brakes in my garage, looks like they could be getting fitted! so all I would need would be the caddy calipers and I would be good to go!

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 08:35:51 pm »
I've just fitted mk6 Gti calipers on mine this summer,.they came off a late 2010 car apparently. The piston on them is a lot bigger than what was on my mk5 ones and I must say they've made a hell of difference. Not sure if they've uprated them all but when I had to get the lines the lad at VW had to go and look at an ED35 to get the right parts as they weren't on ETKA yet. Nice little mod seeing I only paid £90 for them!
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 10:14:43 pm »
Right found thisncaddybrear beam on the bay with the brakes attached. Its collection only from Newcastle.

Its £139 or best offer, I've got a job for the caddy handbrake attach brackets on the back of the Calipers and the rear beam with a hub attached for which I'll pay the princely sum of £60

So if anybody's up for some upgrade rear calipers at handy money they'll prob need collecting and I could meet up somewhere jct 32-45 on the M6 for the remnants!

2006 Volkswagen Caddy COMPLETE REAR AXLE BEAM

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-Volkswagen-Caddy-COMPLETE-REAR-AXLE-BEAM-/170985609095?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27cf895787&_uhb=1

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 12:59:44 pm »
Nobody????????????

Offline daz_pd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • My VRS
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 12:06:59 am »
Nobody????????????

You didnt happen to pick these up Dave? if so Id have the Calipers off you?

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 12:46:43 am »
I've just fitted mk6 Gti calipers on mine this summer,.they came off a late 2010 car apparently. The piston on them is a lot bigger than what was on my mk5 ones and I must say they've made a hell of difference. Not sure if they've uprated them all but when I had to get the lines the lad at VW had to go and look at an ED35 to get the right parts as they weren't on ETKA yet. Nice little mod seeing I only paid £90 for them!

Don't mean to be obtuse here, but if The above quote is correct, why bother with the caddy mod?  Surely it's easier and more cost effective to grab Mk6 rears... Or am I missing something...

Offline daz_pd

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • My VRS
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 08:56:38 am »

Don't mean to be obtuse here, but if The above quote is correct, why bother with the caddy mod?  Surely it's easier and more cost effective to grab Mk6 rears... Or am I missing something...

You would think that, but I have the MK6 rear setup on my FL VRS, and trust me the Caddy mod is worthwhile, The MK6 piston is the same size as the MK5 GTI 288mm setup, just the caliper/disc is smaller/lighter. So it would be worthwhile, Its probably going to be my next mod when I get the cash together