Make a donation

Author Topic: Jay's Golf Coupe "racek0r" project  (Read 154268 times)

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
Re: Jay's "Race Car" Project. "it's like a golf but not a golf"
« Reply #150 on: January 26, 2015, 05:11:46 pm »
Enjoy Bedford great venue, my Rocco was superb around there  :evil grin:

Aren't the VWR wheels just Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.3 without the writing on them and VW centre caps? They do look good...

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline Biano44

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 14
  • The CC GT 200
« Reply #151 on: January 26, 2015, 05:32:08 pm »

Aren't the VWR wheels just Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.3 without the writing on them and VW centre caps? They do look good...

I thought the VWR wheels were 1.2's with no writing. It was posted else where that the 1.3's are heavier than 1.2's.

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #152 on: January 26, 2015, 06:02:13 pm »
Looks cracking on those wheels. have to admit i've spotted the car on google search a few times  :happy2: :happy2:

cheers fella seems a long time ago now

I thought the VWR wheels were 1.2's with no writing. It was posted else where that the 1.3's are heavier than 1.2's.

The VWR 8x18s were pro race 1.2s in satin finish, no writing and no plastic spigots, they were engineered to have the 57.1 centre bore, the 1.3s were if you went wider

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #153 on: January 26, 2015, 09:28:47 pm »
Thanks for that, clear now. :happy2:

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #154 on: January 27, 2015, 11:41:15 pm »
Raced a Focus ST tonight
He beat me. But he also got the jump on me (gave it the guns before I went) and pulled about two car lengths from 30 to 120.

Come 20 days time and we will be saying bye bye to all but the fastest hatchbacks!  :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #155 on: January 28, 2015, 01:30:20 pm »
Got some white TD's on order from the group buy.

This is what sold me on the white ones.. bearing in mind he has not lowered and I have more acceptable arch gap, with my 12mm spacers I should still get almost identicle poke (stock rocco wheels are 18x8 et41) which is perfect for a square stance on the road.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #156 on: January 28, 2015, 04:15:32 pm »
Really looking forward to having a look round it in a couple of weeks Jay :happy2:

That forum signature though  :surprised: are you trying to win brownie points with the trumpet player? . . .  with a pic of your rear end - complete with all your brands listed   :ashamed:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
« Reply #157 on: January 28, 2015, 05:02:22 pm »
Brand whore... :P

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ntddb8s7rhd9lh9ocpv9pkf896&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #158 on: January 28, 2015, 05:10:35 pm »
Really looking forward to having a look round it in a couple of weeks Jay :happy2:

That forum signature though  :surprised: are you trying to win brownie points with the trumpet player? . . .  with a pic of your rear end - complete with all your brands listed   :ashamed:

Jays just a copy cat. He'll be in a 5dr ed30 soon.  :laugh:

Offline Tejinder

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 6
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,81786.0.html
« Reply #159 on: January 28, 2015, 05:27:08 pm »

Jays just a copy cat. He'll be in a 5dr ed30 soon.  :laugh:

Quite like the idea of your guys signatures...  :P

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #160 on: February 14, 2015, 02:40:17 pm »

:signLOL: :signLOL: :signLOL:

Big update time!!!

In the mean time... this went on today. (And I immediately stalled it twice and my leg now actually hurts).

Helix 6 paddle clutch & pressure plate and new DMF (believe it's a Golf R one because the clutch assembly would not work with a CR170 DMF). Alex very kindly spent a whole load of time researching and measuring on various cars over the last couple of weeks to ensure it was going to work..it as he found out that the normal DMF for these engines when mated to a Helix clutch didn't provide the correct "height" (in effect the clutch would not disengage ... same issue I had with my original Darkside clutch kit back on my old 1.9 TDI). - This one went on and fitted nicely!

In addition to this, a few other general transmission related upgrades, the bleed valve had the restrictor removed from it, which basically is put in place to make the clutch pedal less springy - if you press your clutch down and lift your foot off it at speed you'll probably notice that the pedal is slightly delayed coming up...(it wasn't ever "bad" before...but we could improve it..) so you get a much better clutch feel. Despite the very bitey and grabby nature of any uprated clutch, the benefit is that it's such a "positive" pedal feel, you know exactly what's going on - in addition it makes for rapid gear changes as the clutch engagement is basically instantaneous.

Further more Alex shoe-horned me into getting the complete 42DD shift linkage kit... along with metal side to side linkage from a Mk1 Cupra R I believe..which is metal rather than the CRAPPY, wobbly and pathetic plastic one fitted as stock to the Rocco..which already broke previously and I had to replace it when I could go from 2nd to 4th in one fell motion. He also modified the bolts on my quickshifter to eliminate excess "wobble"...

due to a monumental cock up on my part regarding scheduling dates and what not, I wasn't able to be on hand to assist with the clutch change (THANK FCUK - Alex) hence the generic lack of pictures..although as a by product I did get a ride in the Octavia Estate which is around the 400bhp mark...slippy diff and lambo brakes.. yummy. Sounded awesome and it's just insane and hilarious when a pimped out estate Racekor comes blaring past at 120...reminds me of the old Volvo BTCC estates but I'm getting distracted..

After another cock up, with me being very poorly lately and not really with it, leaving without the inter cooler at home...meant a 180 mile return journey to pick up my new cooler from home but this doubled as a chance to get to know my new clutch and shifter and i can honestly say i've never been more pleased with how my knob feels in my hand. it feels very slick and positive (not HIV) and again just adds to the driving pleasure. :) infact i find moving my knob more and more just for pleasure.

I started the day with a premier inn buffet breakfast..hehe.

So day two...
Intercooler time

20150212_110249 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

The whole front end comes off nicely leaving plenty of room to work.

20150212_124513 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

On went the new Darkside intercooler... some interesting facts RE Intercooler...

Stock IC weight.. 3.8kg..
Peron IC ....7kg
Darkside IC... 11kg lol

Also we determined it's basically a THS Intercooler..

Also, the new intercooler being a bit bigger, pushed the whole assembly forward, meaning it wouldn't fit behind this section of the bumper.. basically a tough plasticy piece, can't see any practical purpose...so we chopped it off.

Off came the air conditioning rad too, which we determined that we may as well replace it, because it was very stonechipped and buggered. So was discharged and the condensor replaced with a new one and then re-gassed as appropriate.

20150212_114433 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

20150212_135539 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Also given new Millers Nanodrive CFS 5w40 oil and gen filter.

Intake temps are well down and now as low as 0.5 degree above ambient (vs 3 degrees above ambient) on a cruise and greatly increase speed in recovery of temperatures, and keeping temps down during acceleration. So well chuffed with that.
The DsD supplied pipework was OK, one side was too long (fine, just cut it down, although needed to be slightly better angled) and one side was very nearly too short..needed to be a bit longer.. luckily Alex was able to get it to work.

Bring on Monday...

« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 04:14:04 pm by vRSAlex »

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: Jay's Golf Coupe "Race Car" Project.
« Reply #161 on: February 14, 2015, 03:02:06 pm »

Nice progress!

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #162 on: February 14, 2015, 03:42:09 pm »
Impressive built! :drool:

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #163 on: February 14, 2015, 04:31:59 pm »
Great update and some cracking mods.  :happy2:

......and those wheels will look great.....no........they will look EPIC, brilliant contrast!!  :notworthy:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline stuart-88

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101197.0.html
« Reply #164 on: February 20, 2015, 04:20:06 pm »
How'd it go at darkside?

Instagram: stu_nc88