Make a donation

Author Topic: hi spec brakes  (Read 15034 times)

davidwizard

hi spec brakes
« on: December 26, 2009, 11:08:17 pm »
hey all, i have gti mk5, I like track days (when weather is ok) and thinking about brake system upgrade. The dilema is what to choose: r32 brakes with 2 piece discs or hi spec (which i like becouse of price) what do you think about 4 pot monsters, are they trouble-free? :driver:  thanks
« Last Edit: December 26, 2009, 11:17:16 pm by davidwizard »

Offline paulk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
Re: hi spec brakes
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 11:54:53 pm »
iv heard mixed feelings on the high spec brakes...some love them some dont....most seem to agree there better as fast road upgrades but not quite good enough for track day abuse...trouble is with most big brake upgrades alcon ap tarox etc the prices are very high ...

Offline chungster

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 10:54:24 am »
i would stay well away from Hi Spec if I were you.....plenty of horror stories out there.

Stick to AP's / Alcon's / VWR, or have the brake god that is DaveB1970 sort out a custom set up for you.

Unfortunately the old adage of "if you want to play, you have to pay" is very true especially when it comes to proper brakes for use on track.

My R32 345mm set up will be ok for the odd track day here and day, and providing you dont hammer it too much and leave them to cool, but as Dave will say they can and will fade if abused! They're not designed for track use remember.

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 04:27:56 pm »
As said above with hispec TBH they do work well but im not sure about reliability. I done major research in to these for my M3 and decided against them, pad choice is ok but not the best
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

davidwizard

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 04:11:47 pm »
i would stay well away from Hi Spec if I were you.....plenty of horror stories out there.

Stick to AP's / Alcon's / VWR, or have the brake god that is DaveB1970 sort out a custom set up for you.

Unfortunately the old adage of "if you want to play, you have to pay" is very true especially when it comes to proper brakes for use on track.

My R32 345mm set up will be ok for the odd track day here and day, and providing you dont hammer it too much and leave them to cool, but as Dave will say they can and will fade if abused! They're not designed for track use remember.

thanks guys, and what you think about calipers from TT mk2 (340x30)? I know that they are almost the same as R32, but i didn't found 2-piece rotors on them :sad1: Do somebody produce them? thanks

Offline davv

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 06:52:14 pm »
it is interesting, why do everybody use R32 calipers and doesn't use tt 3.2?
maybe tt32 calipers are the same as r32, and only discs are differ??
does anybody knows?? :smiley:

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 07:22:01 pm »
I can confirm from personal experience of the reliability and quality issues with Hi-Spec. 

Interestingly, I am still going for them - purely based on an offer they have extended due to my traumatic experiences - some of which were life threatening!!!  :driver:

Will let you know how it goes...

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 07:24:12 pm »

thanks guys, and what you think about calipers from TT mk2 (340x30)? I know that they are almost the same as R32, but i didn't found 2-piece rotors on them :sad1: Do somebody produce them? thanks

x2 - Dave B is the resident brake guru.  i am running porker 996TT calipers on a 350x32mm disc, and they work.  I mean really work!  got them under a 18"x8" BBs VZ (shoe-horned is the term i think)  they are really progressive, but when needed, by god they work, allied with the S3 rear set up I have they are fantastic.  the mod was not without problems, but Dave B has an OCD for brakes, so sorted out in no time.

give dave B a PM.

:happy2:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 07:27:31 pm by stokeballoon »

Offline davv

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 07:53:52 pm »

x2 - Dave B is the resident brake guru.  i am running porker 996TT calipers on a 350x32mm disc, and they work.  I mean really work!  got them under a 18"x8" BBs VZ (shoe-horned is the term i think)  they are really progressive, but when needed, by god they work, allied with the S3 rear set up I have they are fantastic.  the mod was not without problems, but Dave B has an OCD for brakes, so sorted out in no time.

give dave B a PM.

:happy2:

i would with pleasure, but i live in Moscow... in addition for 1000 pounds i can get here custom bbk, quality of which is very good, but i don't have a lot of money to spend them (for new season i should spend 2000 pounds: tyres, forged wheels, eibach springs and maybe tt 3.2 kit,) how much do 996 turbo kit costs, and are they the same as Cayenne turbos calipers??

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 08:05:47 pm »
i dont think i would waste my money on Hi spec after seeing  what happened to the brakes MO had  :surprised: :scared:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline davv

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 08:12:26 pm »
we have discuss about tt 3.2 (340x30) calipers actually :happy2:
im trying to figure out do they fit r32 brake discs (345x30)...

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 08:13:45 pm »
i dont think i would waste my money on Hi spec after seeing  what happened to the brakes MO had  :surprised: :scared:

Agree, unless you're able to get the ridiculous offer that I'm getting them at  :pomppomp:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 08:15:28 pm »
i know mate but just keep an eye on them   :smiley:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 08:16:22 pm »
I realise I'm going to be a guinea pig....  :jumping:

Offline davv

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 08:30:09 pm »

you say that hi-specs are not reliable, than you say to keep an eye on them  :smiley:
or you mean that i should sidestep?
or you mean that i need 996 kit?
im confused :scared: