Make a donation

Author Topic: Whose kept their oem air intake?  (Read 25644 times)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Whose kept their oem air intake?
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 09:11:39 pm »
It's a slippery slope!

Offline Vwgtiking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2015, 10:11:03 pm »
What about using say a universal enclosed air filter for £30? Would they be ok? Obviously I will buy the pipe work to match.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2015, 11:04:57 pm »
Wasting your time with a panel filter and fiddling with the air feed guys, been there and tried it. Also, adding any kind of vent to atmosphere DV will just make your car slower

If you want noise then get a decent intake, plenty to choose from. If you want performance, with less noise, then get an enclosed intake.
After fitting a pipe and filter I'm very much doubting them now unless the cars had a very minimal stage 1 which I'm not contemplating at the moment. I can't understand why they are selling these DV'z if they cause problems as the big tuners sell them and don't mention anything regards losing power  :confused: Not saying you don't know but I'm just shocked at this. My tt had mods Badger5 v3 tip, Cone filter FMIC relentless down pipe de cat cat back milltek de baffled charge pipe and no issues with power before a re map in fact a little bit throatier and after the remap it was very quick.

Just a few pics not showing off :)

« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 11:07:19 pm by r5gtt »

Offline Vwgtiking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2015, 11:21:36 pm »
Can anyone confirm which kits are the quietest?

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2015, 08:17:49 am »
After fitting a pipe and filter I'm very much doubting them now unless the cars had a very minimal stage 1 which I'm not contemplating at the moment. I can't understand why they are selling these DV'z if they cause problems as the big tuners sell them and don't mention anything regards losing power  :confused: Not saying you don't know but I'm just shocked at this. My tt had mods Badger5 v3 tip, Cone filter FMIC relentless down pipe de cat cat back milltek de baffled charge pipe and no issues with power before a re map in fact a little bit throatier and after the remap it was very quick.

Gains on a stock map are minimal, often find you lose some low down torque and gain a small amount of top end HP. Only really worthwhile when remapped at a minimum. There are also good designs/intakes and bad ones, and the MAF housing size & diameter along with the MAF calibration in the software are critical for optimising performance and need to be matched.

Revo software for instance (and this is from experience) - When upgrading to Stage 2 software, I used the original MAF housing cut from the airbox, and as a result saw poor response/performance, high fuel trims (+15%!) and low MAF readings. Swapping to an aftermarket intake and MAF housing (same MAF housing diameter and sensor placement as the Revo intake) saw the car run much better. Even swapping from my current MAF pipe to that of another manufacturer (the Ramair kit which positions the sensor slightly differently) results in a big drop in performance. This is due to the MAF calibration being matched to their intake.

Why do 'big tuners'/companies do anything? To turn a profit. There is a gap in the market for people wanting the dump valve noise and they fill it, make it sound as good as possible to maximise sales and profit. Since when is any company 100% truthful about how good a product is? How often do you see those electric fans that go in your intake claim an extra 25hp? Or those fuel magnetiser things that go over the fuel pipe and claim to increase performance and fuel economy?

The difference with your TT is that you used the original MAF and MAF housing, so you'll see nothing but gains by removing restriction with the filter and TIP, the MAF reading and scaling would still be 100% correct
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 08:20:30 am by Dan_FR »
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline K9

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 14
  • VW LifeStyle
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2015, 09:32:22 am »
I'm selling my neuspeed P-flow pipe and Ramair filter as my DSG isn't happy with it not driving properly.
Going to buy the above replacement panel filter instead. don't want the noise as I'm going to make noise from the forge DV i have lol

M
Why didn't it drive well?

Writen with my fingers

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2015, 12:08:46 am »
I've got the enclosed VWR intake on my ED30 running APR software and DSG box.

Works brilliant......not noisy at all....slight whooshes and odd chirp but not intrusive at all !
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.

Offline rashg60

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 41
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2015, 08:48:21 am »
I have k03 just stage 1 remap. Not sure on plans really. Just wanted a nice grunt will better flow. Or the if there is a whoosh then only come in at 4k or something so it's not noisy for town driving.
You thought about going Stage 2 with a good downpipe and sports cat/decat instead?

There's more to gain flow wise getting gas out than air in on these engines. It'll sound good, and if anything help the turbo spool a bit quicker rather than just pushing the torque curve up the revs like an intake would.

Someone in another thread went from 247bhp to 273bhp and 290 odd lb/ft to over 340 lb/ft, that's with a full Powervalve exhaust and map tweak to Stage 2 at R-Tech. And that was with a K&N panel in the standard airbox incidentally.

Yes it's a more expensive option, but maybe it'd suit what you're after more than an intake.

And that someone was me - thanks AJP  :smiley:

I'd say exhaust system every time. I'm really happy with my current set-up and love the panel air filter. It does the job.
Previous motors (in order of succession since 1994):-

VW Golf MK2 GTi 8v
Peugeot 205 1.9 GTi
VW Corrado G60 Supercharged
Volvo C70 2.0 Turbo Convertible
Audi TT MK1 1.8T quattro (225)
Mercedes CLS 320 V6
Audi TT MK1 3.2 V6 Quattro
Audi A4 Convertible 1.8T Quattro
VW Golf MK5 GTi 2.0 Turbo

Offline Scottymon

• Thank You
  • -Given: 83
  • -Receive: 125
  • UnNaturally Aspirated
  • My Ride: http://www.voodish.co.uk/misc/6n/6n-alive1.jpg
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2015, 08:58:32 am »
My tuned K03 felt more torquey lower in the rev range with the standard air box over a couple of CAI's I tried... Felt free-er at the top though and sounded better.

Offline Vwgtiking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Whose kept their oem air intake?
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2015, 09:39:01 am »
Scotty, that sounds good but I want to replace the pipe from turbo to maf. Have you kept the plastic pipe? What filter have you used and any noise difference?

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2015, 10:33:49 am »
Slight concerned with the loud noises - I've just bought a revo intake and I didn't want the loud wooshes but from what I read it isn't as loud as the others in the market?

On the other hand I probably wouldn't hear it much inside the cabin as I have my stereo on  :signLOL:

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=qje25qm1fnt529daevrkru13a9&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2015, 11:14:46 am »
Slight concerned with the loud noises - I've just bought a revo intake and I didn't want the loud wooshes but from what I read it isn't as loud as the others in the market?

On the other hand I probably wouldn't hear it much inside the cabin as I have my stereo on  :signLOL:
I thought the revo intake was loud kept it 3 months then got passed on to another forum member.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2015, 11:28:12 am »

I thought the revo intake was loud kept it 3 months then got passed on to another forum member.

As long as it's not too fast and furious style I should be ok with it...

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=qje25qm1fnt529daevrkru13a9&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2015, 11:50:34 am »
As long as it's not too fast and furious style I should be ok with it...

IMO the revo intake was very fast and furious. It was fun for a few days.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline edition30jmr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
  • ED30
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2015, 01:41:01 pm »
Revo intake is the loudest I think due to the aluminium pipe work etc! I have one and sometimes it does my head in but it's a really good intake, supposedly the best bolt on intake on the market!
Ed30 Beast!