Make a donation

Author Topic: Smoothed boot latch  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Superflisoul

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Smoothed boot latch
« on: January 22, 2016, 01:50:56 pm »
I want to completely smooth the boot on my Mk5. I have already removed the GTI badge but also want the VW logo boot latch handle smoothed. Does anyone know how I go about this or has carried out the mod? I have seen the boot pop mod which operates with the key fob but does this mean the handle can be fully removed? My other option I thought was to install an actuator to pop the boot latch using power from the recently removed rear wiper. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciate

Offline r5gtt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
Re: Smoothed boot latch
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 12:12:29 am »
The boot badge handle is for you to be able to open your boot manually so I wouldn't see an issue with having it smoothed over.
It's the latch and actuator that do the locking and unlocking.
Same as door lock and handle removing and smoothing although the doors use a separate solenoid to pop it open. A friend did his E30 door handles locks and boot lid and it was a smart trick and looked amazing.

IMHO you'll need a fail safe if things happen to go wrong later on with wires snapping in the boot rubber grommets.

Offline Superflisoul

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Smoothed boot latch
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 07:13:52 am »
Good thinking about the fail safe. There is a plastic cap on the inside of the boot that gives access to a small manual lever for the latch. You'd have to climb into the boot from inside which is a bit of a pain but certainly do-able

Appreciate the reply