Make a donation

Author Topic: Quantum Oil  (Read 9656 times)

Offline monte

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
Quantum Oil
« on: January 11, 2010, 12:24:38 pm »
Well I went into my local VW Dealers the other day to book my car in, so they can diagnose the rattle from my engine when cold.
I was waiting aroung and I noticed that all the shelves that used to have Castrol on, have now been replaced with Quantum Oils.
The longlife 5-30 was £35 for 5L. When I enquired they said it was as good as the Castrol Edge 5-30, just alot cheaper. I then asked that when I have my next service, can I have Castrol or supply my own Castrol. The guy said no, and that was that.

Has anyone heard of this Quantum? Is it any good? Do you think I should go elsewhere that does Castrol, or should I see the service manager and ask him to use Castrol?

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
Re: Quantum Oil
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 12:26:56 pm »
our own T_T says good things about it. take that how you will, but im a bit of a brand whore, i dont mind paying a bit more for castrol.

Quantum has probably only been brought in to make a bigger margin for VW, as they will be buying it a lot cheaper. Hence lining their pockets further.

Wow, that was cynical wasnt it?!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 12:28:44 pm »
Well I went into my local VW Dealers the other day to book my car in, so they can diagnose the rattle from my engine when cold.
I was waiting aroung and I noticed that all the shelves that used to have Castrol on, have now been replaced with Quantum Oils.
The longlife 5-30 was £35 for 5L. When I enquired they said it was as good as the Castrol Edge 5-30, just alot cheaper. I then asked that when I have my next service, can I have Castrol or supply my own Castrol. The guy said no, and that was that.

Has anyone heard of this Quantum? Is it any good? Do you think I should go elsewhere that does Castrol, or should I see the service manager and ask him to use Castrol?

quantum has something to do with VAG, its their official oil. At the end of the day however its your car and if the dealership mugs wont do it for you take it to another dealer that will. Cant believe some stealers, run by complete imbecieles.

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 01:15:54 pm »
TT's link on gtiforum.co.uk
(in fact TT states it is Castrol oil anyway ...)

no problemo  :happy2:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline bondy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 01:29:17 pm »
weve been using quantum products for ages with no problems in varied performance/ standard cars, like what tt has stated i think its made by castrolanyway. if vw have gone to the extent to provide this oil and even more so put there name to it them im 100% sure its up to the job.

But its all down to what the customer wants, its stupid that they are willing to push customers away for something as minor as oil. well it alls plays in our favor so im not complaining. :signLOL:

If its castrol branding that you want and they wont do it then take your business to a company that will. :happy2:

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 01:40:36 pm »
As said Quantum is Castrol oil.

Oddly mine has removed a lot of it and is selling Mobil instead...
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2010, 04:03:52 pm »
It has to meet the same standards as the Castrol branded stuff, so where's the issue? If you're worried about the quality of the oil, just have it changed more often.

I'm all for using quality products but when something has to be tested to conform to a standard before any claims can be made, there's little to worry about. And you dont get much more stringent the VW's standards when it comes to oil grades.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2010, 09:08:17 pm »
Yep Quantum is in all my local VW Trade parts place and my two local dealers.

Offline pazz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 09:10:45 pm »
And again....Quantum is made by Castrol.  :innocent:

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2010, 10:33:03 pm »

Before you buy any, make sure that that Mobil oil is fully synthetic and conforms to the VW 504 and 507 spec
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2010, 10:38:18 pm »
Well its good to know its decent stuff then, especially if it is Castrol. Thanks for your replies, I see what some of you are saying about passing VW's tests etc,etc, but not all oils are the same just because they have the same 504/507 stamp on.  :ashamed:

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 07:49:33 am »

Before you buy any, make sure that that Mobil oil is fully synthetic and conforms to the VW 504 and 507 spec

Indeed, it seems to be the ESP stuff which is apparantly the only VW approved version of Mobils stuff.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 10:30:51 am »
Well its good to know its decent stuff then, especially if it is Castrol. Thanks for your replies, I see what some of you are saying about passing VW's tests etc,etc, but not all oils are the same just because they have the same 504/507 stamp on.  :ashamed:

But if it has the correct VW rating on it, it doesnt make any difference? They dont have to be exactly the same in terms of weight and ACEA rating so long as they still meet and/or exceed the required minimum 50X standard. It doesn't matter how or why they are different or who makes it, as long as an oil meets VWs' 50X standards (depending on it's intended application) - thats the whole point of the system.

The only time different weight/grade of oil will effect it's VW rating is whether it is multigrade or not. Some oils meet more than one VW standard and can be used in different engines with no ill effects. Others, are only fit for one type of engine. It's all to do with the quality of the base stock and the additives, or lack of.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator