Make a donation

Author Topic: General rules for cutting and polishing  (Read 2043 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
General rules for cutting and polishing
« on: June 17, 2016, 10:27:21 pm »
Is it true to say microfibre pads for cutting foam to polish ?

'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
Re: General rules for cutting and polishing
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 10:07:16 pm »
No you can use foam for both compound and polish. Mf pads offer more/faster cut than a foam pad I'm lead to believe.

Offline Deako

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 05:46:53 pm »
I love MF pads. I use them exclusively. So much quicker to work with than foam.

I also use a refining MF pad which is so much softer after cutting. I use the Flexipads range.

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 40
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,106577.0.html
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 06:09:46 pm »
I usually use microfiber pads for cutting and foam pads for refining however It is possible to use foam or microfiber pads for the whole process.

I generally use meguiar's and flexipads microfiber cutting pads. For foam pads I generally use chemical guy's hexlogic, 3m and lakecountry ccs pads but I like to keep trying new types and they're all better for different things. Different paint and polish/compound can make a huge odds. I have had good results with the meguiar's finishing microfiber pads but for some reason I just prefer to use foam for finishing, it's such an individual thing.

Just remember and always do a test patch first starting with the least aggressive combination of pad and polish and working up from there until you find what works for that paint  :drinking:

Chris
It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.