Make a donation

Author Topic: xs2man's Mk5 GTI Edition 30...  (Read 9985 times)

Offline xs2man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 15
xs2man's Mk5 GTI Edition 30...
« on: August 11, 2016, 11:35:23 pm »
So, I picked this up yesterday.  And I love it already.  Drove it home last night (late) in the pissing rain, in the dark, at the speed limit (mostly).  Had the kids all day too, so only had it out for a little while, but not had a chance to blast it yet.

Anyway, have some of my own pics now, finally.  So thought I'd pop up a quick thread on the car.  Plans are currently to do something with this.  However, we will see if it pans out or not.  Hopefully so.  Certainly wont be a lightning quick build though, as I will enjoy it as is for a while first.

So, pics...

Pretty decent spec on this too...

MFD2 Sat nav head unit
Xenon self levelling headlights
Headlight washers
Auto lights
Auto wipers
Come home lights (Think that's what its called), headlights come on when opened in dark & stay on when locked in dark
ipod dock under centre console
Half leather seats with heated fronts
Cruise control
Folding mirrors with puddle lights
Auto dim rear view mirror
Tyre pressure monitoring system
Rear parking sensors
Parrot hands free phone kit
H&R 30mm lowering springs
APR Carbonio induction kit
Miltek st/st cat back exhaust (Resonated, not loud just a nice note)
Tinted rear windows

Offline Martin_jk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
Re: xs2man's Mk5 GTI Edition 30...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 12:09:03 am »
Looks like a nice clean example mate, good choice on the colour :) Nice set of mods and extras from the factory too. Enjoy!

Sent from my Letv X500 using Tapatalk

Offline ChrisGT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 40
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,106577.0.html
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 01:55:39 am »
Looks really tidy and good spec, great example  :smiley:

Enjoy it!

Chris
It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

Offline xs2man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 08:55:36 am »
Thanks guys...

I have done my first "upgrade" already though. If you could call it that. Updated the Satnav firmware, unlocked it, and put in the latest 2016 (V13) maps. Still looks dated as hell, but will do for now at least. Until I decide if I want to upgrade again and go for an RNS510...

Offline Rippers

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 20
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,105772.0.html
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 09:00:45 am »
Very nice mate, that's my 2nd fav colour after black  :happy2:

Have fun.

Offline xs2man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 05:12:56 pm »
Anyway, had it out today, had the wife and kids with me, so couldn't hoof it anywhere.  But I did manage to get some bird to a dirty big sh*t all over it.  It was minging.  Anyway, excuse for a clean / pics I guess.  (Couldn't be hooped doing the wheels though, and it was starting to rain).

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 08:41:27 pm »
Sounds as though you've got a well specified example there! It is manual or DSG?

What are the plans you make mention of?!

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline xs2man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 09:51:45 pm »
It's a manual.  I've been in autos for too long now, and while I have nothing against a DSG box, it's nice to change a gear.

Plans aren't set in stone.  Thinking full polybush kit (including anti-lift), R32/S3 brakes, decat and remap (already has turbo back miltek and APR induction).  Maybe H&R ARB's too depending on how the poly's work out.  And then enjoy...

Offline Dave J

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 63
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,55935.0.html
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 10:40:53 pm »
I can well understand! I didn't expect to like DSG, but I did. I tried a manual Pirelli before mine, and it was very good but the DSG won me over. Don't get me wrong, I miss the 2nd gear boost to the line and then changing to fourth, or skipping gears down the box to match braking.

I like your plans - have done most of these except the decat and remap! All of those seem to improve on the ED30's weak points IMHO. The brakes as standard are poor for a 230+bhp car. It also rolled a bit more than I thought it would as standard, but that was coming from my very modded mkiv.

Edition 30 - no. 1387

Offline xs2man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 11:24:39 pm »
I'm in no way adverse to an auto box.  I really love the one in my BMW, but then again, that's the ZF8 speed box, which is one of the very best auto boxes in the world.  Leagues ahead of the 6 speed in my old 335d.  And all my Range Rovers (all both of them) had auto's, as well as one of my A4's, lol. 

And I would have had a DSG if one had come up with the right spec and price.  But as it was, this car was right spec and price, and relatively close.  And I didn't care so much about the transmission that I would leave an otherwise tidy example.  Of course, I'll no doubt have to do the clutch and flywheel with the manual, instead of a DSG remap.  But I can live with that.

Offline S800BRN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 27
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2016, 04:26:45 pm »
As said on Eastside - looks a tidy example.
Handy to have gotten one with some mods already done.
Solid sounding plans, too!

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 04:57:08 pm »
Seems like a very well cared after motor! Good luck with it and hope you can enjoy it a lot! :drinking:

I'd do brakes and suspension with anti-roll bars included. I fitted H&R 26/22 mm with soft setting at the front and hard setting at the rear. Most here seem to prefer stronger bars and chose the 28/24 mm version. I don't know how are the stronger bars so I really can't compare. I use it as a daily and I'm not aiming at a full track car. :smiley:

Offline xs2man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 05:38:15 pm »
As said on Eastside - looks a tidy example.
Handy to have gotten one with some mods already done.
Solid sounding plans, too!

Yeah, already having the exhaust, intake and springs were a big selling point to me, as I never intended to keep it standard anyway.

Seems like a very well cared after motor! Good luck with it and hope you can enjoy it a lot! :drinking:

I'd do brakes and suspension with anti-roll bars included. I fitted H&R 26/22 mm with soft setting at the front and hard setting at the rear. Most here seem to prefer stronger bars and chose the 28/24 mm version. I don't know how are the stronger bars so I really can't compare. I use it as a daily and I'm not aiming at a full track car. :smiley:

Yeah, wasn't sure which bars to go for.  It's not a daily driver for me, but then I will be unlikely to track it either.  I just want it sorted for when I want to play really.  Probably go for similar to what your saying anyway.

Wasn't planning to do the shocks either, but ECP appear to do B8's at what looks like an incredibly competitive price.  I may just have to do them too.  Probably needing done anyway.

Offline Rob1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 24
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 05:50:49 pm »
Congrats look like a very nice Ed30, if you don't mind me asking did you buy it via dealer or was it a private sale.
Black Ed30

Offline xs2man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 06:37:32 pm »
Congrats look like a very nice Ed30, if you don't mind me asking did you buy it via dealer or was it a private sale.

It was a private sale.  Wasn't advertised anywhere, as far as I know, one local car forum.