Make a donation

Author Topic: Spark plug gaps  (Read 46018 times)

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
Re: Spark plug gaps
« Reply #120 on: September 01, 2016, 07:48:03 pm »
I've messaged the seller. Let's see what they say!

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 342
  • -Receive: 334
« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2016, 09:37:44 pm »
Bloody heck what a headache buying stuff  :doh:

Maybe they have two different types in our cars?. no?
quite weird though  :thinking:
Well after a bit of a closer look, the part numbers are illegible on all but one injector, where I can read 06F906036A and 0261500020. This is one of the two domed injectors (which I expect Mike will confirm is the correct type).

On one of the other two, I can just make out some faint lettering. And it says.......... 1J0. Unbelievable!
oh crappers AJP that's mental, where dyou get um from?.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #122 on: September 01, 2016, 09:41:53 pm »
Bloody heck what a headache buying stuff  :doh:

Maybe they have two different types in our cars?. no?
quite weird though  :thinking:
Well after a bit of a closer look, the part numbers are illegible on all but one injector, where I can read 06F906036A and 0261500020. This is one of the two domed injectors (which I expect Mike will confirm is the correct type).

On one of the other two, I can just make out some faint lettering. And it says.......... 1J0. Unbelievable!
oh crappers AJP that's mental, where dyou get um from?.
It's those on ebay that you linked to

He got straight back to me anyway, seems sound about it. I tried to emphasise the fact that part numbers are somewhat crucial with injectors...!

I expect a reply from him tomorrow.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #123 on: September 02, 2016, 09:26:31 am »
how embarrassing  :ashamed: sorry buddy didn't know the guy was going to send out dodgy injectors  :doh: see here's another example of dodgy trading ffs  :slap:

Offline Dan_FR

• Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: September 02, 2016, 11:34:35 am »
Haven't you already had a new one recently? Why not just buy 3 new injectors and be done with it? Especially when they are so prone to failing
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2016, 01:13:38 pm »
Haven't you already had a new one recently? Why not just buy 3 new injectors and be done with it? Especially when they are so prone to failing
It was a used one that went in Dan. As far as I know new injectors are £100+ each??

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #126 on: September 02, 2016, 04:03:41 pm »
I told you S3 ones  :slap: :signLOL:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #127 on: September 03, 2016, 09:27:08 am »

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #129 on: October 02, 2016, 03:11:51 pm »
Right, bit of an update.

After fannying around getting refunded for the mismatched ebay injectors, I went to pick up a set in person from a local VAG breakers. They initially wanted 120 quid but I got them for 80.

I sent these to Steve Biggs aka Mr Injector (not sure if he's any relation to Ronnie) on the back of @Tfsi_Mike's advice. A shade over 100 quid and a few days later I received my refurbed injectors complete with new seals and a data sheet showing before and after flow. Job's a good un.

I got these fitted at Statller along with an RS4 fuel return valve (made sense to stick one in while the inlet mani was off as I'll be going k04 in the future).

So, after six days of varied driving all seems well. Although I'm not taking the absence of misfires as proof of the fix (being so sporadic anyway) there are a couple of improvements I've noticed. One is that the car turns over in the morning with much less drama; it wasn't terrible before but it did cough into life a little bit on a cold engine. This could indicate that an injector that was causing the misfire might also have been causing a slightly rough startup. The other is that the tinkling/jangling noise I assumed was a loose wastegate is now gone. Apparently this could have been caused by the standard return valve. Who knows. But it's gone.

Big trip to Wales is now back on in a week, so I'll have a good few more miles of 'testing' (mega Welsh B-road fun) complete.

Fingers crossed.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #130 on: October 02, 2016, 03:22:00 pm »
at least seems to be looking good so hopefully all is well and no more issues now  :smiley:

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #131 on: October 02, 2016, 03:27:12 pm »
at least seems to be looking good so hopefully all is well and no more issues now  :smiley:
Cheers dude, yeah it's just a case of keeping an eye on things now. I've given it the beans on a few occasions to try and emulate the conditions that it misfired under before, and it just boosts hard and takes off without drama. Here's hoping we're all sorted.

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #132 on: October 02, 2016, 04:27:18 pm »
I reckon you've hit the jackpot and you'll be fine now mate  :jumping:

I can't wait to get my car back if at all so I can carry on with all the craziness I started but no idea how long these claims people are going to prolong the claim as the longer they delay thr more ££££ in their pockets.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #133 on: October 02, 2016, 04:53:16 pm »
I reckon you've hit the jackpot and you'll be fine now mate  :jumping:

I can't wait to get my car back if at all so I can carry on with all the craziness I started but no idea how long these claims people are going to prolong the claim as the longer they delay thr more ££££ in their pockets.
Yeah my problems certainly pale in comparison to yours. Must be soul destroying

Guess you've just got to cling on and bite your lip til it's reached a conclusion. Just think though, once it's all sorted you'll be able to jump right back on the mod wagon and build that Stage 2+ beast!

Trust me on this, if you're used to stock power you'll be in absolutely in love with a good 2+ setup. I bet your old TT was quick, but the differences between a tuned k03/k03s 1.8T and a tuned k03 TFSI are really quite noticeable. The TFSI feels so much stronger. I went round Oulton Park in a k04 engined (BAM) mk1 Octavia track car a while ago, running 280ish, and it was much more comparable in terms of grunt to my GTI than any k03/k03s 1.8T car I've owned or driven in the past. And I'm still on a Stage 2 map.

Hang on in there mate, it'll be worth the hassle in the end!

Offline r5gtt

• Thank You
« Reply #134 on: October 02, 2016, 05:30:25 pm »
Tbh with you my tt was quick but the reason I've jumped on the tfsi mod route is because I know 280bhp will be a lot more stronger than the tt's 265bhp as I won't be dragging around a quattro diff which made the tt lose at least 20hp if not more.

just got to see what the engineer says re repairs or write off and I repair as I'll do a better job of repairing my own car and will do it properly. once front end is off do al the trimmings in the bay rip the inlet off and whack the RS4 fpv in along with inlet clean RFD and off we go.  :grin: