Make a donation

Author Topic: Potentially looking for a mk6 GTI DSG - General questions and advice  (Read 2505 times)

Offline jedi-knight83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
So I've just agreed the sale and taken a deposit for my beloved MK5. A house purchase means it has to go (partly funds, partly I won't have space for a 3rd car).

But I'm feelings pretty pi**ed off about having to sell it so I'm already wondering what to get next (will probably have to wait 6 months or so but I may as well start researching now :) )

So I'm guessing the MK6 is fairly similar to the MK5 in terms of chassis so the usual upgrades apply? Springs, ARB, WALK etc?

How good is the engine and are there particular engine codes to aim for? One of the mechanics at work says the MK5 engine was stronger than the MK6 and to avoid them... but he isn't much of a VW fan so may just be scare mongering??

How tuneable is the engine with a stage 1 map?

Any other buying advice and general info appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Nathan
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline NikerGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Potentially looking for a mk6 GTI DSG - General questions and advice
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 11:37:16 pm »
So I've just agreed the sale and taken a deposit for my beloved MK5. A house purchase means it has to go (partly funds, partly I won't have space for a 3rd car).

But I'm feelings pretty pi**ed off about having to sell it so I'm already wondering what to get next (will probably have to wait 6 months or so but I may as well start researching now :) )

So I'm guessing the MK6 is fairly similar to the MK5 in terms of chassis so the usual upgrades apply? Springs, ARB, WALK etc?

How good is the engine and are there particular engine codes to aim for? One of the mechanics at work says the MK5 engine was stronger than the MK6 and to avoid them... but he isn't much of a VW fan so may just be scare mongering??

Thanks in advance

Nathan

Hello mate, had mine over a year now its been great.

not too sure on engine codes etc but I'm pretty sure its best to try and get a 2010 plate onwards a lot of the earlier ones had problems with the cam chain tensioner, a few for sale when i was looking had new engines fitted when it went. Some not being covered by VW, pretty sure theres a few topics on different forums advising of it!

I've been mapped to Stage 1 @ R-Tech in June with a pre cat delete, milltek catback and panel filter. Car goes really well now (261hp 300ftlb) completely changed the car!

I was really picky with my spec when looking wanting 5 door , leather( wears really well cars done a fair few miles and looks brand new), dsg being key, however mines got the xenons with daytime lights which really set the car off and the upgraded LED rear lights. The diamond cut monzas as well look great but be careful a lot have been kerbed and I'm pretty sure its £100+ each wheel for a refurb!

i've drove a mk5 before but prefer the cabin on the mk6 a lot more just find it a nicer place to be and seems to feel a bit more solid!

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 11:42:19 pm »

Thanks in advance

Nathan

not too sure on engine codes etc but I'm pretty sure its best to try and get a 2010 plate onwards a lot of the earlier ones had problems with the cam chain tensioner, a few for sale when i was looking had new engines fitted when it went. Some not being covered by VW, pretty sure theres a few topics on different forums advising of it!

I've been mapped to Stage 1 @ R-Tech in June with a pre cat delete, milltek catback and panel filter. Car goes really well now (261hp 300ftlb) completely changed the car!

I was really picky with my spec when looking wanting 5 door , leather( wears really well cars done a fair few miles and looks brand new), dsg being key, however mines got the xenons with daytime lights which really set the car off and the upgraded LED rear lights. The diamond cut monzas as well look great but be careful a lot have been kerbed and I'm pretty sure its £100+ each wheel for a refurb!

i've drove a mk5 before but prefer the cabin on the mk6 a lot more just find it a nicer place to be and seems to feel a bit more solid!

Thanks.

Xenons and LEDs are a MUST for me.

It might not be the car for me TBH as my MK5 had more power from a stage 1 and i'd upgraded my interior to look and feel like a MK6 so I guess its not going to be much of an upgrade. Maybe I should aim for the Mk7 GTI or R.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline NikerGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 11:49:19 pm »

Thanks in advance

Nathan

Thanks.

Xenons and LEDs are a MUST for me.

It might not be the car for me TBH as my MK5 had more power from a stage 1 and i'd upgraded my interior to look and feel like a MK6 so I guess its not going to be much of an upgrade. Maybe I should aim for the Mk7 GTI or R.

yeah seen your GTI mate, looks spot on! must be sad to see it go!

I've had a mk7 gti over a weekend last year, was great to drive, obviously a lot better than mine everything just felt so tight and new haha. felt really torquey too

all the sat nav, speedos etc looked brilliant, lights on the door cards aswell,

only thing for me with the new r's as silly as it sounds is they're just too common, i've only seen a few of MK7 GTIs the rest are Rs or GTDs. The performance pack GTI would be cool.

what about a MK6R?

Offline shoaybmakda

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 09:03:53 pm »
I'd second that - the 7R's seem so common now I see more of those than I do GTI's!

The 6R would be my shout too - love the way it looks the front end is so aggressive.