Make a donation

Author Topic: tte420 or lo400 or mdx507 or TurboZentrum EFR6758 or something else??  (Read 19896 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 676
Re: tte420 or lo400 or mdx507 or TurboZentrum EFR6758 or something else??
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2016, 03:40:51 pm »
My TTE480 didn't run 480 though when we were testing and what it maxed out at. The comparison between the 2 turbos were chalk and cheese. Don't get caught up in figures as thats not real time driving.

That is what I'm curious about.  Would the TTE420 make a good road car turbo with good punch and spool characteristics compared to the standard KO4?  And it does suffer the same surging at 3000rpm @ 24psi that the K04 does? 

The KO4 is OK, but I can't help thinking there a better turbos out there for a road going MK5 now that technology has improved.  And they don't seem to last long when running way over standard boost pressure.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Gti_Mad

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2016, 05:07:24 pm »
My TTE480 didn't run 480 though when we were testing and what it maxed out at. The comparison between the 2 turbos were chalk and cheese. Don't get caught up in figures as thats not real time driving. My car was set for purely track so we backed it down to a safe 1.6 bar but generally i ran over 500hp with the 480. Its all down to the spec on your engine, and i can tell you the power in the tfsi engines is in the head work. Im building another development car now so will be almost replicating the head work on this one to the stage 4. Niki being a good mate of mine and souly being a track car i just leave it with him until he finishes it. The 420 took around 3 weeks but i left the 480 with him for around 5-6 weeks but only because i was developing various things along the way. The torque delivery is key and thats what it was built for. So the 420 was backed down to 442 for track and the 480 was down to 470 for track. Both turbos exceeded the figures.

@Orc do u develop stuff solely for yourself or to research and sell/offer these to other ppl

Had the ED30, but not got the balls.

Mk5 silver 5door Ed30 1707- now sold
Mk6 silver 3door Golf R- current

Offline Orc

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 25
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2016, 06:29:52 pm »
My TTE480 didn't run 480 though when we were testing and what it maxed out at. The comparison between the 2 turbos were chalk and cheese. Don't get caught up in figures as thats not real time driving.

That is what I'm curious about.  Would the TTE420 make a good road car turbo with good punch and spool characteristics compared to the standard KO4?  And it does suffer the same surging at 3000rpm @ 24psi that the K04 does? 

The KO4 is OK, but I can't help thinking there a better turbos out there for a road going MK5 now that technology has improved.  And they don't seem to last long when running way over standard boost pressure.

There is no surge on the 420 at all, its an absolute brilliant drivable turbo for daily and road. You won't go wrong and seeing other turbos on the market and having first hand experience in stripping them down to investigate the TTE is one of the if not THE best on the market imho.

Offline Orc

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 25
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2016, 06:33:17 pm »
My TTE480 didn't run 480 though when we were testing and what it maxed out at. The comparison between the 2 turbos were chalk and cheese. Don't get caught up in figures as thats not real time driving. My car was set for purely track so we backed it down to a safe 1.6 bar but generally i ran over 500hp with the 480. Its all down to the spec on your engine, and i can tell you the power in the tfsi engines is in the head work. Im building another development car now so will be almost replicating the head work on this one to the stage 4. Niki being a good mate of mine and souly being a track car i just leave it with him until he finishes it. The 420 took around 3 weeks but i left the 480 with him for around 5-6 weeks but only because i was developing various things along the way. The torque delivery is key and thats what it was built for. So the 420 was backed down to 442 for track and the 480 was down to 470 for track. Both turbos exceeded the figures.

@Orc do u develop stuff solely for yourself or to research and sell/offer these to other ppl
Generally for myself and i enjoy keeping build threads etc off the view of the public as I'm kinda not into that. Saying that my name has gone a little viral from building friends and family on fb and the scenes out their so i seem to be getting more and more builds to do in my own time. this sometimes is a little too much and currently i have 4 full forged builds to do in January. I have a full time job and a busy one at that, but with the knowledge i have and gain from tinkering people seem to hear about me and ask if i can work on them. I suppose on the other hand not doing it as a company i don't really know what to charge and because i enjoy helping folk out I'm probably extremely cheap.

Offline ducman77

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2016, 08:54:16 pm »
Little bit off topic here guys but just want to mention something another member on here brought to my attention...

NF Octane Booster

It's a South African product and it claims to increase your RON by up to 6 points (if you used a full bottle in one tank). Initially I presumed that was just marketing bullsh*t and couldn't possibly be true. But, I was keen to give it a try all the same as any increase in Octane will help avoid knock/detonation/pre ignition whatever you like to call it.

Holy sh*tballs. This stuff has blown me away!! I've a simple set up being just stage 1.5 on a K03. There's been a HUGE hike in midrange punch since I've started using it. Was talking to my tuner and he was confirming he's seen big hikes on the rollers for cars running this stuff. Can't wait to get mine back on the rollers so I can quantify the difference it's made.

Anyways, just thought it might be of interest to some of you guys looking to get the most from your setup

Cheers,
Dave
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 08:37:09 am by ducman77 »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2016, 09:44:31 am »

There is no surge on the 420 at all, its an absolute brilliant drivable turbo for daily and road. You won't go wrong and seeing other turbos on the market and having first hand experience in stripping them down to investigate the TTE is one of the if not THE best on the market imho.

Brilliant, just what I wanted to hear, thanks  :smiley:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2016, 09:45:02 am »
Little bit off topic here guys but just want to mention something another member on here brought to my attention...

NF Octane Booster

It's a South African product and it claims to increase 95 RON petrol to 103-106 RON. Initially I presumed that was just marketing bullsh*t and couldn't possibly be true. But, I was keen to give it a try all the same as any increase in Octane will help avoid knock/detonation/pre ignition whatever you like to call it.

Holy sh*tballs. This stuff has blown me away!! I've a simple set up being just stage 1.5 on a K03. There's been a HUGE hike in midrange punch since I've started using it. Was talking to my tuner and he was confirming he's seen big hikes on the rollers for cars running this stuff. Can't wait to get mine back on the rollers so I can quantify the difference it's made.

Anyways, just thought it might be of interest to some of you guys looking to get the most from your setup

Cheers,
Dave

Where does one purchase this magical motion potion?

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2016, 11:24:49 am »

NF Octane Booster

It's a South African product and it claims to increase 95 RON petrol to 103-106 RON. Initially I presumed that was just marketing bullsh*t and couldn't possibly be true. But, I was keen to give it a try all the same as any increase in Octane will help avoid knock/detonation/pre ignition whatever you like to call it.

Cheers,
Dave

Where does one purchase this magical motion potion?

Very interested too since I only get BP Ultimate 98 RON here or similar.

I've looked online and found this official distributor in the UK:
Roger Clark Motorsport
19-20 Brindley Road
Leicester United Kingdom United Kingdom
Suburb: Hinckley
Phone: +44-1455-610728

http://rogerclarkmotorsport.co.uk/store/category/154-lubricants-consumables?

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2016, 12:06:10 pm »
Just ordered these:
NF Nitrous Formula Octane Booster 300 ml - 6 Pack

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2016, 12:21:04 pm »
few questions -

1-Is there such things as too high of octane

2-Can you run meth with it

3-What octane rating does a car running meth producer in theory

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2016, 02:11:40 pm »
Just ordered these:
NF Nitrous Formula Octane Booster 300 ml - 6 Pack

Nice!  Let us know how you get on with it.  It doesn't say what the concentration needs to be to get the full 6 octane, but I'm sure you will find it out  :smiley:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2016, 02:18:37 pm »
few questions -

1 - I've wondered that myself.  I suppose there is a law of diminishing returns once you get to a certain octane on our compression ratio.  The higher the octane, the more you can squeeze it before it goes bang (uncontrollably).   Sunoco race fuel is popular in high compression (15:1) drag engines, I think that goes up to 120 octane!

2 - You can run meth with anything I reckon.

3 - A quick bit of googling puts Methanol at 110 octane, but I don't know how that translates into an overall octane when mixed with petrol, but E85 is about 104 octane I think.

Offline AJP

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 392
  • -Receive: 316
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2016, 03:12:31 pm »
Interesting last few posts. I always thought these octane boosters were snake oil. They've been around for years. Also interesting where the company is based.. surely a coincidence!

There must be a catch??

Offline Paradox1

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2016, 03:49:03 pm »
few questions -

1 - I've wondered that myself.  I suppose there is a law of diminishing returns once you get to a certain octane on our compression ratio.  The higher the octane, the more you can squeeze it before it goes bang (uncontrollably).   Sunoco race fuel is popular in high compression (15:1) drag engines, I think that goes up to 120 octane!

2 - You can run meth with anything I reckon.

3 - A quick bit of googling puts Methanol at 110 octane, but I don't know how that translates into an overall octane when mixed with petrol, but E85 is about 104 octane I think.

I agree there will come a point when the meth reachest its limit of doing another other than wasting.

Reason i asked if you can run meth with it was more of would there be any point of the octane booster and Vpower for example made the same octane as meth would. I guess it also depends on the mix of meth in the wmi injection too. very interesting.

So the next question is.... who has a dyno near them???  :driver: :driver:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2016, 04:06:45 pm »
I think meth is used more for it's cooling properties.  Have you ever spilled some on your hand? :laugh:

I often read about guys running E85 don't worry about upgrading their intercoolers because it burns so much cooler than neat petrol.

What you really need is Nitromethane  :grin:   That stuff is evil!

I used an octane booster years ago, can't remember the make, but it was popular with Subaru boys.  Can't say I noticed anything tbh, but anything that stops the ECU pulling timing in boost will make it feel a bit perkier.