Make a donation

Author Topic: dp for gti question??  (Read 4396 times)

Offline aidogti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
dp for gti question??
« on: February 06, 2010, 11:48:18 am »
hi lads i was just wondering is ok to just fit an uprated downpipe?

do  i need to fit full system?

will i still get performance gains?

is the rest of the stardard  system compatible wit the down pipe or is it a waste
without the full system?

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: dp for gti question??
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 11:51:57 am »
you can fit a perfomance down pie and cat with the standard system just fine, the only problem is you will get an engine check light on your dash, the best way to get a round that is to get a stage 2 remap

Offline aidogti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 11:57:51 am »
what other mods would i have to do for stage 2, my car is only standard at the mo wit a carbonio intake on the way,
do you have to stage 1 first? will i benefit wit stage 1 and a dp?

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 12:22:55 pm »
if your standard id say scrap the idea of a DP for the time being and just go stage 1.

but if you really want the DP then you need a stage 2 map. youwont need to have stage 1 before hand you can go straight to stage 2 from nothing. all that is reuqired as a minimum is the downpipe. idealy you would have an intake as well though

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 12:38:27 pm »
^^^^
I agree with Sy. Better to go Stage1 first for a couple of reasons: One so you can experience the differences and feel what suits you; Two not to hit your new car with too much at once and establish all is well with Stage1.

You don't have to change from a Carbonio when Stage2 (I didn't) but spending nearly £300 on a high-flow tubular intake will give greater performance gains, but ONLY if you have other performance mods in place. Beware the slippery slope of modding!

The only reason I changed from the Carbonio to Forge Twintake was to better compliment all my other mods.

If you haven't done modding before (I hadn't) then step by step is a great way to learn and know what does what and also, IF you have problems it's so much easier to identify what's causing them. On the other hand, if you are already experienced, you know what to do and if have funds available can hit it all at once - So, that's £25k for the new car and an instant +£10k for the mods you 'need'.

Are you still happy you joined modders anonymous this forum?  :evilgrin:
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 12:41:58 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline aidogti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 12:52:03 pm »
yeah quite new to this alright... ill just go stage 1 for now and enjoy the extra power :smiley:

like this site  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 12:54:24 pm »
Aiden,

By the way I'm not saying what I have in Reply #4 just because you are buying my Carbonio - My opinion/advice would be the same either way.

If you really want to go straight to Stage2 etc, I will cancel our agreed sale but I must ask you to confirm any cancellation by midnight tonight.

I don't want to muck up your plans. I can't be fairer than that.  :smiley:

EDIT: Just seen your Reply #5  :happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline aidogti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 01:01:52 pm »
ah no worries robin, i still want the carbonio, to be honest i didn realise the dp was only really useful with stage 2, im sure stage 1 will be enough for me... i had a couple of gti's before and then went down the wrx road, to be honest loved the power (300+bhp) and the awd but just found myself wanting to get back into a gti, maybe is the better build quality not sure, but im sure the comfort of my gti and smooth dsg with 250 bhp will keep me well happy :smiley:  :smiley:

looking forward to fitting the intake....

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 05:28:02 pm »

but im sure the comfort of my gti and smooth dsg with 250 bhp will keep me well happy :smiley:  :smiley:

....Indeed it will. Power is no good without traction and too many neddies can interfere with driveability. A nicely balanced car is preferable imo.

DSG is the best of both worlds. When away from urban areas and traffic jams, I use M-mode and shift gear exactly when I do if driving a conventional manual. The DSG offers a big variety of optional combinations and so can take quite a few miles before it becomes fluid and natural - Don't be afraid to explore all its possibilities.

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 06:39:31 pm »
^^^^
I agree with Sy. Better to go Stage1 first for a couple of reasons: One so you can experience the differences and feel what suits you; Two not to hit your new car with too much at once and establish all is well with Stage1.

You don't have to change from a Carbonio when Stage2 (I didn't) but spending nearly £300 on a high-flow tubular intake will give greater performance gains, but ONLY if you have other performance mods in place. Beware the slippery slope of modding!

The only reason I changed from the Carbonio to Forge Twintake was to better compliment all my other mods.

If you haven't done modding before (I hadn't) then step by step is a great way to learn and know what does what and also, IF you have problems it's so much easier to identify what's causing them. On the other hand, if you are already experienced, you know what to do and if have funds available can hit it all at once - So, that's £25k for the new car and an instant +£10k for the mods you 'need'.

Are you still happy you joined modders anonymous this forum?  :evilgrin:

Fuel Pump next Robin??. Surely you must be getting close to doing this with the Twintake fitted now?, or have you already done the pump?

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 06:40:50 pm »
you can fit a perfomance down pie and cat with the standard system just fine, the only problem is you will get an engine check light on your dash, the best way to get a round that is to get a stage 2 remap

Not with my Milltek I didn't.  :confused:

I even ran without a map and didn't get a CEL. Only if you have a 100 cel cat will you struggle.

I even ran stage 1 with a DP and cat and saw significant gains and with no troubles.  :confused:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 06:45:52 pm »
^^^^
No need for HPFP yet - All under control via my Revo settings. Probably intercooler next - Not for performance gain but to look after things better. The S3 rear brakes I've got need fitting first - When I'm next at VWR.

Btw, I've forgotten if I thanked you for helping me respond to Aiden's enquiry re my Carbonio.  :drinking:

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 07:06:47 pm »

Not with my Milltek I didn't.  :confused:

I even ran without a map and didn't get a CEL. Only if you have a 100 cel cat will you struggle.

How would i know which type i have purchased?? what different ones are there? which is the better to have?
 :drinking:

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 07:07:58 pm »
^^^^

Btw, I've forgotten if I thanked you for helping me respond to Aiden's enquiry re my Carbonio.  :drinking:

No worries my ole Fruit  :happy2:. See you in a couple of weeks

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 07:14:23 pm »
How would i know which type i have purchased?? what different ones are there? which is the better to have?
 :drinking:

HTF should I know what you bought.  :rolleye: