Make a donation

Author Topic: Decision time ....... old car or brand new Golf R ?  (Read 5774 times)

Offline Stevemartin911

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Decision time ....... old car or brand new Golf R ?
« on: March 05, 2018, 08:14:50 am »
Good morning, we are returning full time time to the UK in October and will hopefully have about £8.5k to get a car when we arrive, here's the question ...
Option 1
Lease a brand new golf R for two years total cost about £7k,  the deposit is about £2k might get cheaper the nearer the Mk8 gets ! Then invest the £6.5k I still have in my pocket on the stock market and try and get some monthly income towards the 23 payments or
Option 2
Go and blow it all on a nice R32, Ed30 or Pirelli ?
OK so I get to own the car but it's still not a nice sparkling new R is it ?
Sorry can't promise to take your advise !
Have a good day now the weather is improving for you all.

Offline Roczen

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
Re: Decision time ....... old car or brand new Golf R ?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 09:56:26 am »
My 2 pence.

Old car (like the ones you mention) won't depreciate much, if at all. So you'll always have the money in the car - an asset worth £8k.

Lease a car, at the end of the two years you don't have it and you've lost your deposit (I think £5k on an R). Your asset is now gone - £0.

I have a mk5 gti, my friend down the road has a brand new 7.5 R. Of course the R is a rocket-ship but when you drive to the shops or work it makes no difference. The R is an amazing car but too fast for public roads.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 11:36:34 am »
I'll throw a few pence into the hat also.....

Option 2 for me!

The MK7 and 7.5 are not much of an upgrade over a MK5.  I'm sorry, but they are not.  I'm not one for being won over by softer plastics and thicker sound insulation.  The driving dynamics are more important.  Look at the interior for example.  It's all very familiar isn't it, apart from the silly digital dash which is a 4 figure bill waiting to happen.  They are not much different to drive either, and have even less steering feel.  WAY less. 

I was considering a 7.5R but I think the MK8 will be a bit more of a noticeable leap forward over the MK5, instead of just hopping from one lily pad to another.

I'm also waiting to see what VW are going to do with their damaged reputation.  Cheaper deals, more standard kit, better warranties etc etc?  Might be worth waiting.  The far east have caught up with the Germans and are about to surpass them very soon, so that might also be a viable alternative.

Anyway, I wouldn't blow that capital on borrowing a 7R.  Manuals are heading towards the £15K mark now, which is doable with some savvy finance.

Depending on where you move to in the UK, hot hatches and fast Bimmers etc are theft magnets.  Something else to bear in mind.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 100
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 01:31:07 pm »
Option 2 all day long, I just can't get my head around why some people are prepared to pay so much just to drive around in the latest car, no wonder debt is such a problem these days.

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 02:08:54 pm »
Mine earlier, spot the progress.....

« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 02:12:50 pm by colesey »

Offline 19TW80

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 02:43:16 pm »
Option 2 all day long, I just can't get my head around why some people are prepared to pay so much just to drive around in the latest car, no wonder debt is such a problem these days.

100% agree with you on this, and I feel the same way about mobile phones, in fact. Still loving my iPhone 5S, which does everything I need it to do from a phone, plus I pay £15/month for an all-singing, all-dancing contract.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 02:46:39 pm »
Is that your well manicured hedge as well?   Looks like a nice street. 

I think a lot of what you said is down to the British attitude towards car ownership.  In America, 200K miles is nothing.  In the UK people are thinking about shifting their cars at 50K miles because 'things are going to start breaking'.  At 100K car, cars are worthless.  And let's not even go there with badge snobbery and status symbols on the drive.

The chef at work bought a Passat W8 recently for £1K.  Absolutely nothing wrong with it and it was an absolute beast in the snow.  One heck of a lot of car for £10K, let alone a tenth of that.  It's waste on a biblical scale that people throw perfectly good, well specced cars away through being wimps about potential bills, but as said, think nothing of spending £1200 on a stupid phone that scans your face.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 02:51:34 pm by Pudding »

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 02:59:39 pm »
Option 2 all day long ......

Heard it from quite a few folk now that there’s more debt in cars now than the debt in property before the last recession .... time bomb

It’s the Instagram generation .... look at me and what I’ve got , a thin veneer of glamour over a thick layer of dirt
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 03:59:23 pm by Bodyboarder81 »

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 03:33:24 pm »
It’s the Instagram generation .... look at me and what I’ve got , a thin veneer of glamour over a think layer of dirt

Couldn't have put it better myself.  The UK is getting infected by the shallow, self obsessed, attention seeking culture from the far east, and west.   

Offline GTI DAZ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
  • My Ride: Previous: Mk7.5 Fiesta ST, Current: None, future: MK5 GTI
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 03:43:51 pm »
my input:

i had a brand new Fiesta ST. wrote it off after 2 years (first crash) worked out it cost me nearly £6,500 over 2 years and had to fight the pay out to break even. got a loan and got the GTI as a repalcement. best idea i ever had. a nice shiny new toy would be nicer but can you afford to lose all that money. and also the leasing company will props shaft you on return. every scuff, scratch inside and out will cost you to repair after. the small print is a sod, could end up costing £10,000 over 2 years, theyres a reason you can lease / finance so easily.

Offline Pesky jones

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 19
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 03:47:10 pm »
a thin veneer of glamour over a think layer of dirt

Well put!

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2018, 04:02:03 pm »

Well put!

Other than my spelling !  :ashamed:
I’m dyslexic ( yes I did need to look up how to spell it !!)

Offline Fletch..gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 07:47:08 pm »
Trust me life is to short if you can afford it get a mk7.  Your along time dead

Offline Juliand

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2018, 07:48:47 pm »

Well put!

Other than my spelling !  :ashamed:
I’m dyslexic ( yes I did need to look up how to spell it !!)

I assume that you are having us on, but reminds me of that graffiti from years back.....Dyslexia Rules - KO  Ha ha. No offence intended, whatsoever, if you are actually dyslexic - ooopps!

Back on topic, I agree about the huge losses on brand spanking new cars - I lost  £20,000 of my own money on a new 911 Carrera  4S (couldn't spell that either) bought in late 2002 for £67,000 - sold back to the dealer who I bought from  in early 2005 for only £47,000, with only 19,000 miles and all Porsche servicing - I loved it at the time, but was crazy really. I don't think that I would ever buy a new car again - older and a bit wiser - maybe?

Oh, picked it up from showroom on the Wednesday, and by Friday Morning it had a massive stone chip on the rear quarter picked up from from construction rubble on the M42 where the M6 Toll Road was being built - was not a happy chappie, with a paint job needed on a 3 day old car - now that is Sod's Law.....

Offline Bodyboarder81

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2018, 10:15:55 pm »
..... no I’m genuinely dyslexic. My mum diagnosed me way back when it wasn’t very well heard of in the mid 80’s ( I was 6) she worked an extra day a week to fund a class for me every morning before school..... so now I’m actually not too bad at reading, spelling and writing and I will look after my mum in any financial way I can to show I’m eternally grateful........

Sorry completely off topic  :ashamed:

.... maybe that’s why I can’t get my head around all this pcp, finance stuff , as it’s just not that important to me to have the very latest / new stuff