Make a donation

Author Topic: Funny sound coming from air intake  (Read 2786 times)

Offline Dij303

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Funny sound coming from air intake
« on: November 22, 2018, 05:41:44 pm »
Installed a Ramair induction kit on my Mk5. Makes a sputtering noise in low revs accelerating gently, sounds ok when accelerating hard. Anyone else had this or is this normal? Cheers in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
Re: Funny sound coming from air intake
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 10:31:35 am »
Welcome to induction kits.  They sound utterly w@nk and embarrassing at any revs, imo of course  :smiley:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 69
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 12:16:05 pm »
I have the same induction kit... I am experiencing a loud turbo flutter and high pitched air squeal but my friend and cousin both have the exact same induction kit on BWA & AXX but theres ONLY makes a psshhhh noise and that's it! ive read online people moaning about noises but more harmonic air turbulence... which I am more than happy to live with I know what that exact sound is but this is just weird with mine.

is your sputtering the same words as i'd call chatter/flutter ?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 01:28:03 pm »
Do the others have the same map as you?  A remapped engine will make more noise than standard, or a map with less boost request.  If you are hearing compressor surge under acceleration, the boost request is too high for that rpm/load point.  It's air the engine can't consume being bounced back to the turbo blades.  Not good for turbo life span.  Fluttering when letting off the gas is normal, but it shouldn't be excessive.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 02:38:14 pm »
Do the others have the same map as you?  A remapped engine will make more noise than standard, or a map with less boost request.  If you are hearing compressor surge under acceleration, the boost request is too high for that rpm/load point.  It's air the engine can't consume being bounced back to the turbo blades.  Not good for turbo life span.  Fluttering when letting off the gas is normal, but it shouldn't be excessive.

at the time... identical map

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2018, 12:14:34 pm »
Hi Dij303 I just wanted to apologise if it seems like I stole your thread, I just have a feeling we could both be experiencing the same issue.

Offline Dij303

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2018, 05:10:50 pm »
Hi Dij303 I just wanted to apologise if it seems like I stole your thread, I just have a feeling we could both be experiencing the same issue.

No worries. Yeah it does sound like you could be describing the same sound. It’s only in low revs when accelerating normally, and it sounds like it’s coming through the vents. At first I thought it was something to do with the AC. When I accelerate hard it sounds fine. It could be normal but I have no idea!

Offline muff1991

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 05:55:27 pm »

No worries. Yeah it does sound like you could be describing the same sound. It’s only in low revs when accelerating normally, and it sounds like it’s coming through the vents. At first I thought it was something to do with the AC. When I accelerate hard it sounds fine. It could be normal but I have no idea!

See if you can get a sound clip? I posted a sound clip of my chatter on another thread, but I don’t think there the same as what you’re experiencing.