Make a donation

Author Topic: Repeat offender?  (Read 3191 times)

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Repeat offender?
« on: January 08, 2019, 11:44:34 pm »
Right i had a slight miss at idle months ago and after doing a full inlet valve clean, injector testing (RTech apparently all good) I resolved it by fitting brand new packs and plugs.

I done all this in order of injectors/valve clean, packs then plugs. The packs seemed to resolve the issue. I then fitted new plugs anyway and it was fine for couple months. I now have a miss at idle again.

Ive not tested with vcds yet to confirm which cylinder its on il do that tmoro. I have previously done a comp test and all was good. Now the next problem is i sent my injectors down to Rtech marked in individual bags...R tech sent them back all in one bag unmarked  :slap:..FS so i cant even confirm i havent mistakingly refitted the suspect No2 injector in the original cylinder therefore a bit of the fault finding process has been messed up(wld have prefered fitting to a different cylinder see if the problem moved)....this did annoy me a bit when i got them back months ago i must admit....predicting this scenario.

Now i have 4 brand new OEM packs about 2 months old tops and plugs the same (BKR7EIX) surely they are not gubbed already...doubtfull but you never know.

Im thinking its an injector and hopefully tmoro when i test its only missing on one cylinder and also not back on cyl No2 as it was previously....now if its on cyl2 again that will be a bitch...got a 1 in 4 chance ive refitted it to the same cyl...f*ck me.

Not even been driving the car but had some dry sunny days up here and brought the golf out and the miss is back feckn gutted.

Ive posted elswhere about ed30 injectors vs S3 injectors are they the same? Contemplating fitting a WMI kit that i can get from a mate brand new....purely for valve cleaning purposes and maybe a little extra poke even without mapping in the wmi...not to ring the neck out the timing....got another post about that coming up seperatly tho :confused:

But im thinking 4 new Ed30/S3 injectors are about to get whipped in.....im intrigued to see the state of the valves after maybe 2k of driving if that....monster post this...any thoughts?

Just realised this is in the wrong section i think.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 01:17:29 am by csrigo »

Offline Shoduchi

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
Re: Repeat offender?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 02:12:23 pm »
All K04 engines share the bigger injectors. Your coils and plugs should still be fine, from that short use.

WMI, when used correctly, is always a good upgrade. I've bought an AEM WMI V2 kit on an end of year sales. I'm going to get it fitted before the warm weather returns. Not in a rush at the moment. It'll be used just to keep the IAT cold, mostly for track use.

I hope you can find which injector has the issue, so you don't need to replace all of them.

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2019, 05:38:27 pm »
All K04 engines share the bigger injectors. Your coils and plugs should still be fine, from that short use.

WMI, when used correctly, is always a good upgrade. I've bought an AEM WMI V2 kit on an end of year sales. I'm going to get it fitted before the warm weather returns. Not in a rush at the moment. It'll be used just to keep the IAT cold, mostly for track use.

I hope you can find which injector has the issue, so you don't need to replace all of them.

Cheers mate yeah I done a bit of digging and found they were the same...kind of thought that just wanted to be sure.

Done some compression tests again and everything is all good....about 13 bar across them all.

Ended up buying four new injectors plus baskets and seal kit for just over £525 from the VW dealer i use which is a great price compared to the the AKS and Awsome ones which fair enough they need to put a markup on I suppose. The ones from Awsome (APR Bosch) dont actually say they are OEM if you read the description...although im sure they are fine...but them plus new seal kits for all four comes in at £650ish and the AKS ones are on discount for £160 for one and with no seal and basket kit though so your probably talking over £650ish from them as well.....just putting this out there in case anyone else ever need to buy injectors maybe worth cantacting their VW dealer see if they wld do you a deal....some do some dont.

Im just changing the four of them as it makes sense whilest the manifold is off again im not doing one or two of them for the others to start playing up further down the line as its a pain taking it off and on...makes sense just to do them all now with 116K on the car im thinking.

I'll take some pics of the state of the inlet valves now after maybe just under 2k since i cleaned them up will be good indication of how quickly they start building up deposits and to what degree.....i will stick this in my own thread again.

My WMI is also an AEM kit..... I will need to buy the throttle body spacer plate from somewhere to go with mine tho as ive bought it off a mate who has his on his S3 hes just chqnged his mind for an Aquamist or something.

Anyway Golf will be sidelined till i get this done but il prob be sent away with work again soon so whenever j can get it al, done il update everything.

Offline Shoduchi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 220
  • -Receive: 429
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,95592.msg952042.html
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 01:19:42 am »
I already have the throttle body spacer that I bought from AKS Tuning last year.

I hope you get to have some free time to get the new injectors fitted. I’ll watch for news on your build thread.  :smiley:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 07:10:30 pm »
Is it actually a full misfire or just a little lumpy at idle?  They can be a bit lumpy at idle in general, especially during warm up.  Do things improve after a long drive with plenty of throttle?

New injectors will definitely improve things.  When I put new ones in mine, the idle was so smooth, I couldn't tell if the engine was running or not and had to look at the rev counter to confirm!  As I've said before, I don't believe cleaning old injectors is worth it.  No point band aiding old parts, just put new ones in  :happy2:

Also pay attention to spark plug colour.  All 4 should be the same colour and dry.  If one of them is black and/or oily, it spells mechanical wear.  Valve guide or piston related.
I'm not convinced it's piston related given your healthy compression readings though.

New injectors, long drives to get a good amount of heat through it and you'll be golden  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline csrigo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 01:22:40 pm »
Is it actually a full misfire or just a little lumpy at idle?  They can be a bit lumpy at idle in general, especially during warm up.  Do things improve after a long drive with plenty of throttle?

New injectors will definitely improve things.  When I put new ones in mine, the idle was so smooth, I couldn't tell if the engine was running or not and had to look at the rev counter to confirm!  As I've said before, I don't believe cleaning old injectors is worth it.  No point band aiding old parts, just put new ones in  :happy2:

Also pay attention to spark plug colour.  All 4 should be the same colour and dry.  If one of them is black and/or oily, it spells mechanical wear.  Valve guide or piston related.
I'm not convinced it's piston related given your healthy compression readings though.

New injectors, long drives to get a good amount of heat through it and you'll be golden  :happy2:

Cheers for the input mate I hope your right. Just back so a quick update. All misses are purely at idle none at all when running however it gets a little worse after a good run??....i came back the other day took the car out (not changed injectors yet) to take some logs and make sure i wasnt getting any misses under load and tested in varous gears and loading up scenarious etc...all good on that front...however as soon as i sit and idle it noticably misses more often (after a spirited drive)...again never enough to cause an EML.

Ive decided im going full hog to sort the car....its in for its 2nd timing belt and water pump on Thursday.

Once i get it back friday im going to town on the car over the wkend. Ive got 4 new injectors and oil strainer to fit then a full service...even new plugs again fck it.

The WMI kit can wait....but i did manage to get a hold of a brand new Quaife LSD lol :grin:. Managed to get get it off a guy on the tsfi page who happened to be local that never fitted it to his cupra and i think was desperate for cash so got it for an amzing price...I had to take it. Just ordered the ARP bolts from darkside so shld get them tomorrow.

Il update this when the injectors are done and see if it solves my issue

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 670
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 04:42:25 pm »
Sounds like injectors or MAF to me mate.  After a hard run and pulling up to a junction, does it stumble for a few seconds then sort itself out?  If so, try a new MAF but pull the battery after fitting it.  The ECU does pre and post flight checks but new MAFs don't seem to register with the ECU unless it's reset.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D