Author Topic: LC5F's Graphite Blue GTI - Sea Dweller Edition  (Read 6579 times)

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 20
  • My Ride: GTI mk5 and TDI 2.0
Re: LC5F's Graphite Blue GTI - Sea Dweller Edition
« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2020, 06:19:22 PM »
Worth paying for a pre MOT check to avoid failure(s)  I pay £20 plus the MOT fee of £50. Both Mk5s are 12/13 yrs old with 6 figure mileage :driver:
 Also having problems with my handbrake. In my case the pivot bush for the handle has come adrift and started to chew the hb housing
 Replacement is 40 plus 2 new cables at 38 At least its an easy job and ill do it at work while getting paid :jumpmove: :jumpmove:
  Shame about the paint. Reminds me of an old pink :grin: astra i had

Offline LC5F

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2020, 08:40:57 PM »
I remember when they started logging faults with MOT's, a few VW guys were up in arms about them being recorded and even more annoyed that they were accessible by anyone - not sure what they were trying to hide!
Personally I'm not fussed, advisories were a good idea, its a lead for potential for work at the garage or a heads up for DIY mechanic and with it being online, no issue of loosing the certificate like back in the day - it's a transparent process and this time the fault was fixed the same day.

Where are you in the world that an MOT is still £50?
Full price its £29.50 for me in Edinburgh - but being a repeat user got a voucher taking it down to £25

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 20
  • My Ride: GTI mk5 and TDI 2.0
« Reply #62 on: October 16, 2020, 10:28:10 PM »
Where are you in the world that an MOT is still £50?  Local city council

Offline shannon-ob

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=jm2jdbja7985n05qumfpkcs3o4&/topic,124095.0.html
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2020, 07:28:37 PM »
Some good progress made bud!

Sadly, you’re going to struggle to roll rear arches... there’s nothing really to roll!

For anyone interested, the Passat/scirocco hubs widen the track an extra 12mm per side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline LC5F

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #64 on: October 18, 2020, 09:54:49 PM »
Some good progress made bud!
Sadly, you’re going to struggle to roll rear arches... there’s nothing really to roll!
For anyone interested, the Passat/scirocco hubs widen the track an extra 12mm per side.

Thanks Fella -
I was meaning to discreetly pull the rear lip out a bit with an arch roller to help clearance, but may look odd.
I thought Rocco hubs added 10mm a side but may have misread or got mixed up with 10mm spacers that I was initially looking at - from my research should have fitted without this issue, but I wanted something more discrete and OEM +reduced unsprung weight is a bonus too.
It seems the extra 2mm must causing the rubbing, its not constant or prolonged so it's not a big issue for me just now.