Make a donation

Author Topic: midline to highline  (Read 21054 times)

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
midline to highline
« on: January 06, 2009, 06:46:12 pm »
Hi guys, i wonder if i could call upon some help on going from midline to highline.

Now, i have a MY08 golf. the car was brand new when i bought it but it wasnt built to my specification, so i am without highline.

I just wanted a few questions answered if poss.

Is it possible to do a cluster swap on a MY08??

The car is a TDI and it seems a highline TDI cluster is like rocking horse sh*te. i think im going to have to buy a brand new one from the dealers, because its probably impossible to put a gti one in?

Ive seen maloosheck on vwvortex has done this mod but he has also said somewhere you cant do the swap on my07 onwards cars??

thanks guys

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
Re: midline to highline
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 07:01:56 pm »
JPC, not an expert by any means, but I've been looking into this for a couple of months for my car as well an (05 MY GT TDI).

From what I have read (and advice given to me by the stealers) it seems that 08my onwards can be done, but due to coding changes within the new cluster and immobilser section, it's a dealer fit only as only they have the proper equipment it would seem (of course I could be talking out of my a*se  :happy2:).

I was lucky enough to locate a pretty new 05 MY highline cluster and one of the members from here and uk-mkivs, Darren  (Mortygttdi) and I are going to give it a go soon.

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 07:06:07 pm »
lucky guy. thanks for the input. i will see if i can get someone with half a brain at my dealers to see if they know anything about it.

enter stu? hehe

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 07:22:38 pm »
its expensive is all i know but as you say Enter vRStu to answer  :wink:

Offline RunRabbit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 07:47:58 pm »
What does Highline give you over Midline? I specc'd it on mine because it sounded good :jumping:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 08:56:14 pm »
how much was the msfw and highline from the dealers?

i know the highline was 50quid extra! i think the wheel was near 400.

i wish whoever spec'd mine wouldnt have been a tight arse now!

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 08:16:26 am »
IIRC, the higline to spec from new was about £50.00 and the MFSW about £300.00.

I spoke to a local stealer and he agreed to put a new hiline cluster in with labour and programming for £355.00. This was before I managed to track down a used cluster from fleabay.

As regards functionality, well it obviously gives you the overview graphic of the car showing which door is open but also the following:

Access to the convenience and lighting menus, which allows you to change things like:
auto door locking - unlocking
whether the drivers doors only opens on the first click of the remote or all doors.
The coming home / leaving home auto lights and their delay.
Turn on or off and change the delay of the footwell lights.

It also has new menus items that the midline doesn't have such as:

If you have factory Navi unit, it shows the turn signals on the display as well as the road name and compass.
In radio mode, it shows the radio station playing, or if on CD or Ipod, the track number, as well as let the MFSW control track advance.

If you have a BT phone kit fitted, then you have a dedicated phone menu, which shows the phonebook of the mobile it's paired with, caller name, missed calls, etc.

All in all not bad for only a £50.00 option at the time of ordering. Like you JPC, I wish the original owner of my motor, who specced everything else (leather, cruise, Climate, Winter Pack, Storage Pack, 18's, centre armrest), hadn't been so tight and just spent that little extra !

I think one of the reasons though why so many cars come with midline, is that the highline option wasn't very well advertised. Even my local dealer didn't know it was an option until I pointed it out to them !

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 08:19:10 am by Norbreck21a »

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 01:18:17 pm »
thanks for the info mate,

so you got your dealer to do it in the end?

i think i may have to get that done too... the new clocks are "uncrackable" boo! :(

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 01:35:30 pm »
I've done loads of these on Octavia, generally without a problem.  I have tried to do it with VCDS and failed and currently there is a guy on Briskoda trying it but not having any success at the moment.

A dealer can do it, it's a peice of cake for them they just need to follow VAS Guided Functions for an insert replacement - Effectively as if they were replacing a defective one.   It's takes a maximum of 15 minutes so an hours labour should cover it.

I did one a little while back on an 08MY car which had a new ABS controller which and Long Coding, replacing the cluster wipped this unit and the VAS  online system couldn't code it.  So make sure you have a full autoscan of the car before you start.

You'll need to ensure that when they do it you provide them with both keys.  They cannot change the mileage so if you give them a used insert the miles on that will stay, a new cluster will be coded with the correct mileage during the process.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 02:13:03 pm »
thanks for that Stu, i think ill leave this one with the dealer. i have quite a good relationship with them so hopefully they wont come back and say "it cant be done"

That was as well, there will be at least some form of warranty.

im expecting it to be 400quid, ish...but im not too bothered about that

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 03:11:42 pm »
right, im currently looking at second hand cars with highline, CC and MSFW,  tdi's and getting there number plate, then chassis number. all to see what clocks they have fitted! then i should be able to get a price

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 03:21:48 pm »
^^^ I am currently driving a MK5 1.9TDI with Multi function Wheel, CC and Highline if you need any details from that let me know  :happy2:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 03:42:14 pm »
thanks for the offer mate, ive just got a part number and its 210quid plus vat for highline clocks for a TDI, which isnt too bad at all!

they wanna charge me £130 for fitting tho, they charge 1.5hrs for it! :(

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 05:18:45 pm »
Hi Stu Im fitting a set of highline clocks in for andrew(norbreck21a) ive got vcds with microcan and vag commander, are you saying that vcds is now not capable of doing the swap? will I need to find a copy of the older vag-com 709?

Cheers

Darren

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 05:23:14 pm »
its probably more of a case the older ones have less chance of working

i think its more to do with Vag commander not being able to read Immo Pins from MY08 clocks.

if its an older car with older clockers being put in, it should be ok