Make a donation

Author Topic: Very budget track build  (Read 63423 times)

Offline JoshB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
Re: Very budget track build
« Reply #75 on: December 02, 2021, 12:06:12 pm »
Do you not fancy chucking a eBay special £100 downpipe on it before you go to R-Tech? Would get you another 25bhp.

B14’s are a great choice. Your tyres will make a bigger difference on track than upgrading those to be honest.
Getting too old for this...

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=llt1br7ctlf7u9bc4a93dpqcq6&/topic,131272.0.html
« Reply #76 on: December 02, 2021, 12:15:52 pm »
Do you not fancy chucking a eBay special £100 downpipe on it before you go to R-Tech? Would get you another 25bhp.

B14’s are a great choice. Your tyres will make a bigger difference on track than upgrading those to be honest.

Nah I know what you mean but then I go down the path of while I'm there I may as well go ko4 conversion and s3 intercooler as well and then things ramp up. Main reason for going is to clean inlet valves and clean/replace a and any other dud injectors, just the fact they have a deal on that they can chuck a tune on as well for only 650 in total,  would be silly to say no. Plus I can't be asked with taking it on/off for MOT each time.

Yeah will be sticking ns2r's on in spring while I've just got a single set of wheels.

Offline JoshB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #77 on: December 04, 2021, 10:01:56 am »
That’s fair enough.
I’ve just had that done last week and I didn’t want stupid power. The only reason I replaced my CAT with a 200cel sports CAT is because the stock one was playing up and could do with replacing, so I thought why not.

You get switchable maps as standard so I’m happy to keep mine on either map 2 or 3. But nice to know I can ramp it up to full power if I want to.

There’s a company on eBay at the minute that fabricate exhausts and do a decat downpipe for £100. Would be interesting to ask how much they’d charge to weld in a Magnaflow 200cel CAT in as well...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK5-MK6-GTI-FSI-T304-DECAT-AND-DOWNPIPE-3-BORE-SUIT-70MM-2-75-SYSTEM-/133943135534?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0
Getting too old for this...

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #78 on: December 04, 2021, 01:06:25 pm »
I came across this book recently, Great Xmas read for any setup geeks. Most interesting part I found was how it debunks a lot of poly bushes as when the grease gets pushed out after said weeks or months they start to bind to the inner steel tube and don't offer proper rotation anymore (squeaking noises are evidence of this apparantally). I notice super pro seem to have a couple of differences to most other manufacturers to keep hold of grease for longer periods and stop it being pushed out, in my mind anyway they sound far superior after reading this.
Chassis Engineering HP1055 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1557880557/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_29GYX4G6BS1QF386VW3C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure if that book mentions it, but the worst thing about poly is a problem known as 'creep and set', which is where the bushes compress/squish into a particular position and stay like that, almost like plastic. My Whiteline ALK did exactly that.  Basically, the hole in the middle of the bush ovalised, causing all sorts of nasty tramlining and twitchy steering, especially over winter when the bushes are less compliant.  I currently have the SuperPro ALK in and they'll be coming out for rubber bushes when I get around to it.  Most like Audi A2 as they're solid rubber and much thicker than the S3 bushes.

As always, it comes down sales fluff convincing you rubber is cack and poly is best, when the exact opposite is true.  You never see OEMs using it.  It's either rubber, or rose joints on the high end track focused cars  :happy2:

Anyway, those coilovers were a steal!  They might irritate you a bit of harsh roads but on the track they'll do well  :happy2:

Another good read - https://balancemotorsport.co.uk/car-suspension-repair-maintenance-and-modification-book-by-julian-spender.html

He's a top man and the Custom Gaz Golds he tuned for me were bloody brilliant.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 01:09:15 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2021, 04:08:06 pm »
So car feels a little sluggish in 3rd and up at about 3.5k onwards. Its currently got about 80/100kg of tools/equipment in boot and back seat so maybe that's a contributor but I swear I can hear boost escaping at about 3500 rpm occasionally.

Checked the DV which has covered under 1000 miles and had this small crease which looked bad at first. But took it apart and the crease had sorted itself, just refitted and made sure it was tight enough with some loctite this time, no change.

I had the same issues, which seemed to be DV related.  Really flat off boost and needing more throttle than usual to hold a steady speed.  I remember R-Tech saying they experimented with stiffer springs in the Rev G, so instead, I stretched the standard one a bit which seemed to do the trick. It's a lot more responsive and punchy now.  Worth a go on yours.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=llt1br7ctlf7u9bc4a93dpqcq6&/topic,131272.0.html
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2021, 11:47:53 am »
I came across this book recently, Great Xmas read for any setup geeks. Most interesting part I found was how it debunks a lot of poly bushes as when the grease gets pushed out after said weeks or months they start to bind to the inner steel tube and don't offer proper rotation anymore (squeaking noises are evidence of this apparantally). I notice super pro seem to have a couple of differences to most other manufacturers to keep hold of grease for longer periods and stop it being pushed out, in my mind anyway they sound far superior after reading this.
Chassis Engineering HP1055 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1557880557/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_29GYX4G6BS1QF386VW3C?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure if that book mentions it, but the worst thing about poly is a problem known as 'creep and set', which is where the bushes compress/squish into a particular position and stay like that, almost like plastic. My Whiteline ALK did exactly that.  Basically, the hole in the middle of the bush ovalised, causing all sorts of nasty tramlining and twitchy steering, especially over winter when the bushes are less compliant.  I currently have the SuperPro ALK in and they'll be coming out for rubber bushes when I get around to it.  Most like Audi A2 as they're solid rubber and much thicker than the S3 bushes.

As always, it comes down sales fluff convincing you rubber is cack and poly is best, when the exact opposite is true.  You never see OEMs using it.  It's either rubber, or rose joints on the high end track focused cars  :happy2:

Anyway, those coilovers were a steal!  They might irritate you a bit of harsh roads but on the track they'll do well  :happy2:

Another good read - https://balancemotorsport.co.uk/car-suspension-repair-maintenance-and-modification-book-by-julian-spender.html

He's a top man and the Custom Gaz Golds he tuned for me were bloody brilliant.

Not that I recall... yeah it seem poly bushes solve the problem of deflection and loosing geometry but is then the cause of quite a few more issues that can sometimes defy the reason for getting them in the first place. Maybe you're right, the full works or nothing, you don't see it on expensive oem track cars like a cayman gt4 out the box do you (I'm pretty sure anyway!), which I'm sure they would gladly add poly bushes to being as its a drop in the ocean of a 70 grand-ish car anyway if they served the purpose well enough.

Just ordered that book :happy2: I'm aware of balance motorsport but I cannot remember where I've come across them.

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2021, 11:50:54 am »
So car feels a little sluggish in 3rd and up at about 3.5k onwards. Its currently got about 80/100kg of tools/equipment in boot and back seat so maybe that's a contributor but I swear I can hear boost escaping at about 3500 rpm occasionally.

Checked the DV which has covered under 1000 miles and had this small crease which looked bad at first. But took it apart and the crease had sorted itself, just refitted and made sure it was tight enough with some loctite this time, no change.

I had the same issues, which seemed to be DV related.  Really flat off boost and needing more throttle than usual to hold a steady speed.  I remember R-Tech saying they experimented with stiffer springs in the Rev G, so instead, I stretched the standard one a bit which seemed to do the trick. It's a lot more responsive and punchy now.  Worth a go on yours.

Interesting idea. I had a rev g on before this one and it looked fine when I took it off and still looks fine now but did notice a difference sticking the new one in, maybe the spring is the trick on this occasion then. I'll mess about with the spare one I think.

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #82 on: December 23, 2021, 06:36:14 pm »
Nothing too much exciting going on. Oil change and Fitted the new genuine seals and clips, no difference in how it's boosting however, running some logs it looks fine to me but I know somethings up. As R tech is approaching and don't know how much time il get (and when it's not raining for a change) to mess with the DV so just ordered a new one. If that does it then would be good to investigate messing with the springs on the spares ones later in the year as Pudding mentioned, if it's not split I guess a badly sealing spring because of wear and tear could cause it (in my head anyway).

New Hel stainless Steel brake line also on, I was surprised just how insecure these are with the oem clips, it took a mixture of bending oem clips, reversing oem clips and a couple cable ties to get these really secured and even then it's not stuck solid like the oem ones were but good enough I think.

No interesting pictures as of late and with Xmas in a few days I have to put the tools away for the rest of the year to avoid being shouted at so will leave you all with a rubbish one i just took with a gin and tonic in one hand and my phone in the other. Cheers!

Offline Mekaniko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2021, 10:04:58 am »
An update is always an update! The last revision of the DV is quite differnt, I bought it directly from Pierburg as it's the same as OEM original.

Have a nice Xmas!

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2022, 06:20:31 pm »
Great Xmas this year, Mrs car got broken into and took over a week to get sorted and they did such a bad job I had to end up sorting their shoddy work myself anyway and both isolated after catching covid.

Anyway.... swapped the DV out and seems to stop letting go of boost for a 10th of a second randomly as it did before so that's sorted now.

Bonnet pins fitted, tbh I don't like how they look but I prefer them to a smashed windshield and damaged bonnet/a pillars. Aero catches are definitely better but at 10 quid thought I'd give them a go.

Been keeping an eye on the golf over last few weeks and finished all my jobs pre r tech appointment so she's supporting her own weight for a change and actually being used. Just realised a couple hours ago after popping to a mates house that the rear driver side caliper is siezed and the passenger side i think isn't quite perfect either.

That's an extra 200 odd quid for new trw ones that I could have done without, and got about a week to sort in pitch black after work when I get hold of a new set as I'm away on the weekend. So currently frantically researching my options for the rear calipers, any suggestions feel free to share!

To be honest I'm partly tempted to just cancel or post pone r tech for much later in the year, getting a bit tired of the costs coming out on what is meant to be a budget build, it was only to cure a idling misfire after all, not sure if that does any real engine damage and is worth fixing imminently hmmmm.

Offline FatWelshBoy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2022, 08:44:14 pm »
Search for aacore2015 on eBay, I had a pair of 41mm rear pistons from them for £125. I only needed the rear near side but changed both as the receipt, from previous owner, for my off side caliper was from ECP and they state 38mm pistons. I run 7R brakes upfront and the balance seems better since replacing both rear calipers.

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2022, 08:47:41 pm »
Search for aacore2015 on eBay, I had a pair of 41mm rear pistons from them for £125. I only needed the rear near side but changed both as the receipt, from previous owner, for my off side caliper was from ECP and they state 38mm pistons. I run 7R brakes upfront and the balance seems better since replacing both rear calipers.

Thanks will take a look. Are they the caddy calipers do you know? Think I heard they had a larger piston but same pad and disc size?

Offline FatWelshBoy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2022, 08:59:04 pm »
I messaged them for Caddy calipers and they got back to me saying that GTI calipers are avaliable in 38mm or 41mm pistons and they will supply the 41mm type if you specify them in the notes.

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2022, 09:00:56 pm »
I messaged them for Caddy calipers and they got back to me saying that GTI calipers are avaliable in 38mm or 41mm pistons and they will supply the 41mm type if you specify them in the notes.

Looks like they refurb and sell on then, I'd be a bit wary on a refurb firm on ebay with such quick turn around time but reviews look good and if your experience is only good then maybe that's a good option, 100 quid saved also!

Offline RBS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 46
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2022, 11:59:07 am »
Great progres :happy2: