Make a donation

Author Topic: Steering wheel buttons not working on retrofit RCD330 stereo  (Read 2084 times)

Offline Monza19

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Steering wheel buttons not working on retrofit RCD330 stereo
« on: February 22, 2021, 05:21:17 pm »
Hello fellow GTI friends

I'm new here as I have been searching far and wide for an answer and hoping this community can help.

I recently fitted an RCD330 stereo to my 2006 model Mk5 GTI. Upgraded the Canbus to the right version to prevent battery drain and coded the VCDS without issue. All good except that the steering wheel buttons do not work. I bought a steering wheel adapter off  Aliexpress https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32888260904.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.64df4c4dwFdTej but it doesn't work. The seller says works with some Golf 5 and not others  :confused:.  I have an 8 button MFSW and the steering wheel adapter is 1K0-953-549-AG.

I am mainly trying to work out if he sent me a dodgy adapter or the buttons will not work no matter what adapter I buy because I need a steering wheel module upgrade or something.

Offline daedos

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
Re: Steering wheel buttons not working on retrofit RCD330 stereo
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2021, 05:19:46 pm »
Hello fellow GTI friends

I'm new here as I have been searching far and wide for an answer and hoping this community can help.

I recently fitted an RCD330 stereo to my 2006 model Mk5 GTI. Upgraded the Canbus to the right version to prevent battery drain and coded the VCDS without issue. All good except that the steering wheel buttons do not work. I bought a steering wheel adapter off  Aliexpress https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32888260904.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.64df4c4dwFdTej but it doesn't work. The seller says works with some Golf 5 and not others  :confused:.  I have an 8 button MFSW and the steering wheel adapter is 1K0-953-549-AG.

I am mainly trying to work out if he sent me a dodgy adapter or the buttons will not work no matter what adapter I buy because I need a steering wheel module upgrade or something.

Hi. Did you get this sorted? I've used a RCD330 (E) for about a year and this weekend retrofitted a MFSW (incl Bodenla adaptor).  Fortunately the buttons worked for me straight away though I did also change my steering controller (->CH) as part of the retrofit.  That said they mostly work, sometimes the track doesn't change and annoyingly they changes the MFD display too.  Whilst googling I came across THIS about coding the stereo for steering wheel buttons that may help you.

Offline BillyTahir

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • ED30 #1011
    • Email
Re: Steering wheel buttons not working on retrofit RCD330 stereo
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 02:40:05 am »
What steering control module have you got, what that adapter you bought it should of worked, did the buttons work before? Have you retrofitted mfsw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk