Make a donation

Author Topic: Forge Twintercooler  (Read 2254 times)

Offline Bradley Torrance

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Forge Twintercooler
« on: May 14, 2021, 11:02:57 am »
Morning all

Last week i handed my car into a local tuning company for stage 2 Remap and also an intercooler because they recommended it for stage 2...

So i chose a Forge Twintercooler and they said they'd fit it... here i am a week and a half later still without my car and they couldn't fit the hoses because they "kinked" and they tried cutting the pipes and it didn't work? They said they are getting another set of hoses delivered for tomorrow and they are going to try again..... :thinking:

Has anyone got any specific fitting instructions for it so i can send to the garage because it's been really stressing me out now...

Any help would be appreciated

Bradley Torrance

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
Re: Forge Twintercooler
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 07:46:20 pm »
Looks to me like the forge pipe is the culprit and an incorrect fit? I’m assuming you’ve a standard I/C?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bradley Torrance

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 07:50:26 pm »
@ljc19630
So you think it is dodgy pipe work? And yeah standard intercooler and this is just going in front? I believe?
Bradley Torrance

Offline ljc19630

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 07:52:32 pm »
Seems odd that it’s a bespoke kit and it’s not fitting correctly. Have you spoken to Forge directly as I’m assuming they’ve sold a load of these kits?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2021, 08:10:15 pm »
Typical aftermarket shodiness. All you need is an OEM S3/6R intercooler.  They make the numbers and do a decent job with the IATs.  Quick recovery rate compared to the GTI cooler and not oversized to the point of increasing lag.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Bradley Torrance

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2021, 09:06:47 am »
@Pudding
I should have gone for the S3 option... I was looking at it for a long time but decided to go for this for ease and quickness from the tuning company but it didn’t go my way haha
But I appreciate that! I will see what happens and if it doesn’t get sorted I’ll look at the S3 intercooler, thank you
Bradley Torrance

Offline Hypertuned

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2021, 09:38:54 am »
@Pudding
I should have gone for the S3 option... I was looking at it for a long time but decided to go for this for ease and quickness from the tuning company but it didn’t go my way haha
But I appreciate that! I will see what happens and if it doesn’t get sorted I’ll look at the S3 intercooler, thank you
S3/GolfR cooler are actually better from an efficiency stand point. But fitting is a PITA compared to the Forge Twin cooler.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

Offline Bradley Torrance

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2021, 09:42:57 am »
@Hypertuned
I think if this second set of hoses doesn’t fit again then, I’ll look into the S3 one because that was originally what I wanted anyway! I’ve read a LOT of these forums about how the S3 intercooler is one of the better options
Bradley Torrance

Offline Hypertuned

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2021, 09:48:17 am »
Best thing about it is that there are loads of them floating around as many S3/Golf R owners upgrade to aftermarket ones.

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2021, 12:13:07 pm »
Hoses look pre-loved - where was this kit sourced - are you sure it is a Golf one?

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2021, 12:09:29 am »
I didn't find fitting the S3/6R cooler too bad tbh, but the pay off is it bolts right in like only a factory part can :happy2: 

I could be wrong but I believe the later S3/6R plastic end tanked version is also a more efficient bar & plate design vs the GTI's heat soak prone tube and fin design. 

Certainly from the very low IATs I've data logged on my car, I can see no benefit in fitting anything bigger.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline bobby_fodge

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 38
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2021, 09:26:33 am »
I didn't find fitting the S3/6R cooler too bad tbh, but the pay off is it bolts right in like only a factory part can :happy2: 

I could be wrong but I believe the later S3/6R plastic end tanked version is also a more efficient bar & plate design vs the GTI's heat soak prone tube and fin design. 

Certainly from the very low IATs I've data logged on my car, I can see no benefit in fitting anything bigger.

I bought a brand new plastic end tank S3 intercooler. It was cheaper than a 2nd hand all metal end tank one.

Was ok to fit, just take the front off.

Offline Bradley Torrance

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2021, 09:43:53 am »
Hoses look pre-loved - where was this kit sourced - are you sure it is a Golf one?
It was brand new from Forge, defo for the mk5 golf
Bradley Torrance

Offline Hypertuned

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2021, 09:45:47 am »
Have Forge Motorsports dropped the ball on their products or were you unlucky & got a bad batch of pipes?

Offline Bradley Torrance

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2021, 09:59:43 am »
Have Forge Motorsports dropped the ball on their products or were you unlucky & got a bad batch of pipes?

I'm going to be honest... i think the company who fitted them didn't have a clue what they were doing... i've got my car back and the day after on my second drive, which was 20 minutes (and didn't once put my foot down because it was bad weather yesterday)... the "STOP Low Coolant" light came on... looked under the car and it's literally just pouring out... my front bumper is also not sat correctly and all the clips are broken... :( i am very disappointed with it all:( i've looked after my car inside and out and then a company who i put my trust in has clearly not cared...
Bradley Torrance