Make a donation

Author Topic: Greetings from Birchanger!  (Read 1381 times)

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 4
Greetings from Birchanger!
« on: March 31, 2022, 05:03:15 pm »
Hey there...got rid of my company car after years of 40-50k a year to work from home..needed a run around and bought a Mk5 GTI 5 door to fill the gap. Was briefly on Golfgtiforum.co.uk but found it very unfriendly tbh..this seems far more chilled! Not done much so far..missed having a centre armrest so fitted one, did a basic service as I wanted a line in the sand and fitted 4 new CV joints too while I was there! No grand plans as it only moves once a week currently but want to make it as good as possible.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
Re: Greetings from Birchanger!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2022, 04:14:48 pm »
Welcome to the forum. Can’t quite tell but is the car black or shadow blue? I have a shadow blue one myself so always nice to see another one . Any plans for the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2022, 04:29:41 pm »
She is a metallic black with extra rusty bits! No major plans though I'm sure that'll change..came out of more powerful cars but they were gratis from work so maybe a remap in time..which will lead to exhaust...intercooler..ffs! Had MR2's before ( 4 of the buggers) and did engine swaps etc. so not afraid of hard work on the drive, but getting a little old for it all now

Offline RBS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 46
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2022, 07:54:32 pm »
 :happy2: nice one and welcome :wink:

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2022, 08:11:38 pm »
Thanks all!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2022, 12:17:41 pm »
40-50K a year, sheesh, I thought I had it bad at 20K commuting a year  :grin:  MK5s make for great daily drivers and are cheap and easy to fix, aside from the big stuff like gearboxes and turbos, but that's common to all cars.

Don't bother with hardware, just get a Stage 1 remap. Wakes up the car somewhere close to it's max potential without breaking the bank. A remapped GTI/ED30 can still keep up with current hot hatches, so you're not losing out much there.  Focus more on the suspension as that is one area that really brings them alive on B roads. It's a VERY stiff bodyshell for VWs of the period, so lends itself well to chassis mods.

The golfgti forum has been around for years and can be a cold to newbies.  This place is one of the easiest going, friendliest forums I've used to date  :happy2:

My mate is currently putting a 1.9 Golf TDI engine into his MK3 MR2.  Should make an interesting little project in such a light car!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 12:23:46 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2022, 01:40:39 pm »
Hey Pudding...Good advise..was just looking at downpipes and sports cats but will put that idea on ice. Yeah I don't miss the miles at all...it was nice having the nice cars on the drive for the neighbours to look at but am very content with my cash allowance and Adolf the Golf! Dare I ask what is the end goal for the diesel MR2 conversion? The little 1.8 petrol engine is pretty light and fizzy, plus you can stick a tubby on there if you so desire for more power..hell, it takes all sorts I guess! Thanks to you all for the friendly welcome, some great threads on here too...am now looking at the underbody plastics to clean up airflow under the car ( always very important on MR2's too....air in from under and out of the top..be wary of any MR2 with a high level air scoop,it stalls airflow) plus it did have an advisory for weeping dampers last MOT so can see some uprated shocks and springs going on it too now.