Make a donation

Author Topic: AC Issue - Can't quite put my finger on it, unless it is my compressor...  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Moble

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
So... I've been putting up with the aircon not working for awhile now, but in this heat recently it's becoming unbearable!

A friend came over the other day (works in the refrigeration industry) and plugged in all his gauges and equipment, and said my low and high side pressures showed pretty much the same pressure readings, he then drained the gas and put the system in a vacuum to check for leaks and left it before putting some new R134a gas in after he was happy it wasn't leaking. However still no cold air  :thinking:
At this point he said he's pretty sure it's my compressor, but before I commit to buying a new compressor I want to make sure it is indeed this, and not potentially an easy fix elsewhere!

So fast forward, I bought a new AC pressure sensor off Amazon to see if that improved the matter, but no success - (No guarantee that it's actually a working aftermarket part anyway at the moment)  :signLOL:

The past few months the car had sounded like it was whining when the AC was on, which made me take off the serpentine belt today to check if the compressor moves freely without any obvious tell tell signs like a dry bearing or something, but it spins free without any concerns of noise and feel. Looking at the part number showed it's a Zexel unit in question:

When I scan the car with my VCDS, it shows no faults within the system which doesn’t help the matter!  :rolleye:
These are snippets of the measuring blocks taken today:

From this my understanding is that the compressor is running, but the compressor load to me seems low - as all of the data was taken with the AC on set to 16°C

Is there something that stands out that I'm missing that would help with the fault finding? or other methods i can implement - With the way the worlds so expensive at the moment, i'm trying my hardest to avoid having to go down the route of giving it to a garage to diagnose and repair and gain the satisfaction of doing it myself :happy2:

Offline akz786

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
    • Email
Have you by any chance verified that the centre bolt of the AC compressor is spinning?, if not it could be a similar issue to what I posted a while back whereby the rubber damper that sits on the pulley is actually broken and spinning freely.

Offline FJB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 18
The problem will be the compressor solenoid valve. I have a brand new Vemo unit for sale for the Zexel DCS 17E compressor (your unit) on Facebook market place.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/548672507009218

Message me through marketplace and I will do you a deal.   

Offline Moble

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
Have you by any chance verified that the centre bolt of the AC compressor is spinning?, if not it could be a similar issue to what I posted a while back whereby the rubber damper that sits on the pulley is actually broken and spinning freely.

It is, all intact and spinning! It’s what I was hoping to see!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
Agreed, the current draw is non existent.  Looks like FJB has the solution  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=0ee9400va3ef3hdubrtb0h5hq5&/topic,19740.0.html
My AC is playing Up too. Sometimes it works, sometime is doesn't. And when it doesn't it stinks for some reason. Condenser replaced not long ago and regassed.

Stupid f*cking car.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
The stink is probably bacteria in the heater box.  Do you ever run the heater on HI?

My AC works flawlessly, but I never use it because the engine doesn't like it.  Tries to stall out at junctions and it saps significant power lower in the rev range....like properly killing it almost.  It never used to be like that, so yeah, I concur......Stupid f*cking car.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=0ee9400va3ef3hdubrtb0h5hq5&/topic,19740.0.html
Not recently due to the weather…. It been hot enough  :signLOL:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
I leave mine on full hot all year round  :grin:  It helps shed engine heat when stuck in traffic.  I'd rather get home than be chilled  :grin:

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 6
Mines a bit temperamental pretty sure it’s the same issue