Make a donation

Author Topic: Amber steering wheel and skid light on after steering wheel removal and refit ?  (Read 462 times)

Offline Jmuir71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Hi all ,so I decided to swap my worn steering wheel with another nicer condition wheel .Before I collected the new wheel I did a trial run removal of the airbag . I disconnected the battery neg wire removed and refitted the bag . Then did the steering angle calibration sensor reset procedure. The light went off and after a short drive the skid light went off .
So next day I get to the breakers disconnect battery negative,remove my wheel and replace it with the mk5 leather wheel and airbag . (Note the only difference with the new airbag was the locator lugs were bayonet type rather than the staple looking type ) reconnected battery, started car and performed steering angle sensor procedure but both lights have not gone out . I tried to do this a couple times and even got my old steering wheel and bag and no difference? I can’t believe I would have damaged something whilst carefully removing a steering wheel and replacing it ? Drive the car 20miles but still the same .
Any ideas . I really don’t want a huge diagnostic bill .

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 48
Are you sure you did not knock the steering angle sensor or replace anything else?

Is the steering very heavy?
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline Jmuir71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Steering isn’t heavy and no nothing else changed or knocked . My mate hooked his tool up and said my steering sensor has lost its basic setting ? But he said his coder wouldn’t let him I. So I’d need to get a garage with vag com