Make a donation

Author Topic: What to do with Edition 30  (Read 5741 times)

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 8
What to do with Edition 30
« on: November 14, 2023, 05:21:57 pm »
After almost 10 years of ownership and coming up to 200k miles it’s time to for me to start thinking about moving onto something else. An uninspiring fuel-efficient family car beckons and I’ve been wondering what to do with the Golf. Given it’s age and mileage I don’t think I’d get much for it anywhere. Part ex and webuyanycar values will be minimal I’d assume so I’m thinking selling privately could be the best option as I’m sure even a breaker would be interested.?

It’s a 2007 Edition 30, full service history, numerous cam belt and dsg services over the years plus all the regular things like dv, pcv and cam follower etc. Bodywork is to be expected for it’s age with rust starting show through on the sills and one rear arch. Front wings were replaced 3 years ago along with a front end respray. It’s been really well looked after and maintained but is starting to look a bit tired and showing signs of its age now.

Another option is just to keep it as weekend/project car but I know it will end up being a money pit.

Anyone else been in a similar position and what did you do? Also if anyone has any recommendations on sensible cars that aren’t a Nissan Qashqai that’d could help too  :signLOL:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
Re: What to do with Edition 30
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2023, 11:33:41 am »
Yeah, me, exactly this time last year funnily enough!

Thankfully my move wasn't driven by family needs, but rather a change of job drastically increasing my mileage. I was burning through 4 tanks of V power a month, just commuting. 5 tanks a month if I had some weekend fun as well.

As much as I loved my ED30, that had to change, so I traded it in against a 2016 330d and got about £1700 for it iirc. WBAC offered £1200.  It had 178K on it and was a manual. DSGs generally fetch a little more.

The car market is slowing down at the moment, finally!  So there are some good bartering opportunities from dealers at the moment, and a trade in is quite a good bartering tool when sales are slow.

Plenty of better options than a bloody Gashqai out there  :grin:  Is the missus stipulating an SUV then?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2023, 02:01:05 pm »
hehe I think a divorce may come before a qashqai! Just require something slightly bigger and more fuel efficient than the golf as I'm getting through 4 tanks of V Power a month too :evilgrin:

How do you find the 330d? Have considered the Touring and also a 4 series. As for SUV's the only one I could probably consider is the XC40.

£1700 trade in isn't too bad tbh, I'll be sad to to part with it but needs must.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2023, 03:00:21 pm »
Good man  :drinking: :grin:   

Mine was averaging 27mpg over the 8.5 years I had it, driven normally with some overtaking blasts.  Driven hard all the time, it dropped to low 20s easily.

Yeah I really like it. I was a bit underwhelmed initially as it's so different to the GTI, but having lived with it for a year, it's actually a decent handling car, and just as fast as the ED30 (mine was stage 1 Revo) but double the mpg, literally  :grin: 
If considering one, I would definitely get the M Sport flavour with the blue Brembo brakes  :happy2:  The Touring is decent but not especially big in the back if you have prams and cots to lug about.

Yeah it is sad, especially after so many years with it, but I got over it after a week or so and haven't looked back tbh  :grin:

What about an EV?  There's bound to be some PCP deals about? The Brabus Smart #1 thingy with 500 odd brake is cheap as far as EVs go, and almost matches a current M3 Competition to the 1/4 mile  :grin:

But if you prefer outright purchases, then a BMW Touring is a good all rounder  :happy2:  I can't think of anything German in the same class that isn't a yawn fest tbh!

Offline Shielsy

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
  • Gtiii baby
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2023, 10:07:30 am »
Yeah, me, exactly this time last year funnily enough!

Thankfully my move wasn't driven by family needs, but rather a change of job drastically increasing my mileage. I was burning through 4 tanks of V power a month, just commuting. 5 tanks a month if I had some weekend fun as well.

As much as I loved my ED30, that had to change, so I traded it in against a 2016 330d and got about £1700 for it iirc. WBAC offered £1200.  It had 178K on it and was a manual. DSGs generally fetch a little more.

The car market is slowing down at the moment, finally!  So there are some good bartering opportunities from dealers at the moment, and a trade in is quite a good bartering tool when sales are slow.

Plenty of better options than a bloody Gashqai out there  :grin:  Is the missus stipulating an SUV then?

Value of cars in the uk is crazy ed30s are selling for €20,000 in Ireland at the moment and they’re not stored up these have been driven on a daily basis and have acquired quite a bit of mileage.

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2023, 02:54:43 pm »

Mine was averaging 27mpg over the 8.5 years I had it, driven normally with some overtaking blasts.  Driven hard all the time, it dropped to low 20s easily.

Yeah I really like it. I was a bit underwhelmed initially as it's so different to the GTI, but having lived with it for a year, it's actually a decent handling car, and just as fast as the ED30 (mine was stage 1 Revo) but double the mpg, literally  :grin: 
If considering one, I would definitely get the M Sport flavour with the blue Brembo brakes  :happy2:  The Touring is decent but not especially big in the back if you have prams and cots to lug about.

Yeah it is sad, especially after so many years with it, but I got over it after a week or so and haven't looked back tbh  :grin:

What about an EV?  There's bound to be some PCP deals about? The Brabus Smart #1 thingy with 500 odd brake is cheap as far as EVs go, and almost matches a current M3 Competition to the 1/4 mile  :grin:

But if you prefer outright purchases, then a BMW Touring is a good all rounder  :happy2:  I can't think of anything German in the same class that isn't a yawn fest tbh!

Yeah it’s surprising how fast you can get over them. Only cars at the end of the day but after years of spending time and money on them you do become attached.

Glad you’re liking the 3 series, seems a logical step, improved comfort and mpg - whats not to like. Began to look at the weekend but there’s so many variations/combinations. 4 Series Grand Coupe has caught my eye but may come down to boot space. Defintely wants to be some kind of M Sport version as you say. Xdrive sounds quite appealing but often don’t look as nice. Saw a lovely 330e but quickly dismissed that after reading up on potential costs for a replacement battery. :surprised:

PCP EV deals are still a bit out of budget for me, for anything decent that is.

Think I might list mine privately and see what interest it gets but part ex will just make life easier and is a good bartering tool as you say.

Thanks for all your help on here btw. It’s pretty quiet now as people have moved on but the information on this forum has helped hugely over the years.

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2023, 02:56:28 pm »
@Shielsy I'll sell mine for half of that and deliver it in person :signLOL:

Offline Rado16v

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2023, 10:09:00 pm »
We're in a similar situation here but less miles. My misses 2007 Edition 30 has been in the household for almost 14 years, on 92k miles.

I thought I'd replace it with a mk7.5 GTi (not a mk8 fan) but she's not interested in another golf, she wants something suv'ish.

Considered a Cupra Formentra but it has a similar infotainment and haptic buttons that plague the mk8 and the rest of the group and it's a deal breaker. The Cupra Ateca has the older setup but she didn't like it.

Other considerations were the XC40 and XC60, I liked them but she doesn't like the image of Volvo's, she's stuck in the yesteryears.

She quite likes the Lexus suvs so we're considering them. UX250h is let down by the small boot so nx300h is next size up, it's low on power for my liking. Nx350h, the new model, jumps up in power but don't want to spend that much on it.

So.. no decision made. Shake head.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2023, 10:43:21 pm »

Yeah it’s surprising how fast you can get over them. Only cars at the end of the day but after years of spending time and money on them you do become attached.

Glad you’re liking the 3 series, seems a logical step, improved comfort and mpg - whats not to like. Began to look at the weekend but there’s so many variations/combinations. 4 Series Grand Coupe has caught my eye but may come down to boot space. Defintely wants to be some kind of M Sport version as you say. Xdrive sounds quite appealing but often don’t look as nice. Saw a lovely 330e but quickly dismissed that after reading up on potential costs for a replacement battery. :surprised:

Think I might list mine privately and see what interest it gets but part ex will just make life easier and is a good bartering tool as you say.

Thanks for all your help on here btw. It’s pretty quiet now as people have moved on but the information on this forum has helped hugely over the years.

You certainly do get attached to them. All the ridiculous 3K oil changes I used to do, and changing the brakes and tyres if they looked even slightly worn from 10 yards away. More love and attention than the missus ever got. They were the days  :grin:

BMW life is a steep learning curve! I was equally bewildered by it, but in the end I just picked the best spec I could afford.

You can't go wrong with an LCI (facelift in English!) M sport with the Brembos, LED headlights and Harman Kardon audio  :happy2: 

Everything is an option on Bimmers, so some cars will be stingy on the extras due to the £40K luxury car tax threshold.  So some come with all of the above, but minus reversing camera, heated seats, folding mirrors, pro Navigation etc to get it down to £39,999.  TBH that's all fluff, focus on the stuff that matters like the brakes, lights and stereo  :smiley: It's often why you'll find better spec'd 320Ds than 330 and 335Ds.

Gran Coupes are lovely cars, a step up from the saloon and are sportier as standard  :happy2:

I would avoid X Drive. You can't get the diesel X drives in M Sport flavour and they are wallowy old boats as a result. X drive is also extremely picky with uneven tyre wear. The transfer box really doesn't like it at all. Personally I would stick to RWD, less weight and handle nicer. If traction is a concern, stick some winter tyres on it  :happy2:

330e just has the auxillary battery as it's main concern afaik, which is about £100 from BMW apparently. They're quick and frugal, and not as agricultural sounding as the diesel  :happy2:

The icing on the cake for me is the ZF 8 speed. It's such a brilliant gearbox. They are also incredibly easy to work on, much more so than the Golf, which really surprised me.

Yeah I know what you mean re: EVs.  I was looking at going that way with the salary sacrifice scheme at work but, naaaah, I'd rather own a car personally.

No worries, just doing my bit.  Just holla if you need any more specifics about Bimmers, but in any case, good luck with what ever you settle on and keep us posted  :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2023, 10:51:24 pm »
We're in a similar situation here but less miles. My misses 2007 Edition 30 has been in the household for almost 14 years, on 92k miles.

I thought I'd replace it with a mk7.5 GTi (not a mk8 fan) but she's not interested in another golf, she wants something suv'ish.

Considered a Cupra Formentra but it has a similar infotainment and haptic buttons that plague the mk8 and the rest of the group and it's a deal breaker. The Cupra Ateca has the older setup but she didn't like it.

Other considerations were the XC40 and XC60, I liked them but she doesn't like the image of Volvo's, she's stuck in the yesteryears.

She quite likes the Lexus suvs so we're considering them. UX250h is let down by the small boot so nx300h is next size up, it's low on power for my liking. Nx350h, the new model, jumps up in power but don't want to spend that much on it.

So.. no decision made. Shake head.

14 years, wow!

The 7.5 GTI is a great car  :happy2:

I would swerve the Formentor. My mate's got one and he's had nothing but problems with it. They look the part but they're crap I'm sorry to say! They are plagued with charging issues.

I think the Volvos are very decent. Haven't looked at the XC range but the saloons had really good interiors. They don't have an old man or family man 740 Estate image anymore.

Lexus is a brand I've never understood. Odd looking things. I'd have the Volvo over that any day!  BMW X series are naff, imo, as are Audi Qs.  I just hate SUVs in general but we all have wimmin to please eh?  :grin:

It's a tough one. Get her a Lexus and something more interesting for yourself  :grin:

Offline Rado16v

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2023, 06:09:08 pm »
Wimmin!! Indeed.
The JLR stuff is lovely looking but you just wouldn't with their reliability.

As you can tell, we tend to keep our cars for quite some time so reliability is key and no one does reliability better than the Japanese. Lexus offer a 1 year warranty each time you service your car with them for up to 10 years.

I've got my Subaru Legacy 3.0r which is interesting enough, I may one day even get my corrado back on the road but I've saying that for many years!

Offline akbarirfan

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 81
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2023, 10:41:13 pm »
Following this thread, in a similar position after over 9 years of ownership and 70k under my belt (168k on the clock now).

I've been watching mk5 GTi ads on eBay and Facebook market place to get a feel for prices. My findings are that they are all over the place!

Px is convenient but you do take a big hit I think.

Offline shail

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,99663.msg979899.html#msg979899
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2023, 07:27:43 pm »
I'm in same boat!  134k on the clock. Had mine for 8 years now.  I kind of feel like sticking it in a garage and leaving it there for a decade or so.

Currently looking at 4 series coupe as I like the look of them. Never thought I'd get a beemer!

Probably won't get one till next year as mortgage needs renewing in March, so need to figure out what I can afford!

Offline gj124

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2023, 08:50:19 pm »
My GTi will be going soon for similar reasons. I'm lucky enough to have another fun car so not too bothered about what's replacing it , as long as it's cheap to run! At the moment I'm looking at Audi A3 2010-12 sportback's. They can be had with the 2.0tdi for under 5k and are only £30 to tax.
Prices for ed30's are pretty strong even if they're a bit rough so I'd go with a private sale if I were you.

Offline Mark_DF05

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2023, 03:12:03 pm »

You certainly do get attached to them. All the ridiculous 3K oil changes I used to do, and changing the brakes and tyres if they looked even slightly worn from 10 yards away. More love and attention than the missus ever got. They were the days  :grin:

BMW life is a steep learning curve! I was equally bewildered by it, but in the end I just picked the best spec I could afford.

You can't go wrong with an LCI (facelift in English!) M sport with the Brembos, LED headlights and Harman Kardon audio  :happy2: 

Everything is an option on Bimmers, so some cars will be stingy on the extras due to the £40K luxury car tax threshold.  So some come with all of the above, but minus reversing camera, heated seats, folding mirrors, pro Navigation etc to get it down to £39,999.  TBH that's all fluff, focus on the stuff that matters like the brakes, lights and stereo  :smiley: It's often why you'll find better spec'd 320Ds than 330 and 335Ds.

Gran Coupes are lovely cars, a step up from the saloon and are sportier as standard  :happy2:

I would avoid X Drive. You can't get the diesel X drives in M Sport flavour and they are wallowy old boats as a result. X drive is also extremely picky with uneven tyre wear. The transfer box really doesn't like it at all. Personally I would stick to RWD, less weight and handle nicer. If traction is a concern, stick some winter tyres on it  :happy2:

330e just has the auxillary battery as it's main concern afaik, which is about £100 from BMW apparently. They're quick and frugal, and not as agricultural sounding as the diesel  :happy2:

The icing on the cake for me is the ZF 8 speed. It's such a brilliant gearbox. They are also incredibly easy to work on, much more so than the Golf, which really surprised me.

Yeah I know what you mean re: EVs.  I was looking at going that way with the salary sacrifice scheme at work but, naaaah, I'd rather own a car personally.

No worries, just doing my bit.  Just holla if you need any more specifics about Bimmers, but in any case, good luck with what ever you settle on and keep us posted  :happy2:

Cheers, I’ll be sure to give you a shout when I inevitably get more baffled.

Yeah xDrive is off the list now for that reason…I’ll just be budgeting for some winter tyres.

Went to see a 330e saloon this week, nice car but the boot isn’t big enough with the batteries there. Ruled out diesel now too, my commute isn’t quite suited for it. Hopefully get to test a 420i Gran Coupe in the next couple of weeks - main concern there is that the fuel economy isn’t going to be any better than the golf. Polestar 2 has also been thrown into the mix  :signLOL:

Anyway, it seems a few others are in a similar position so once I've parted ways with it I'll update here.