Make a donation

Author Topic: Oil leak  (Read 4948 times)

Offline ramallahrambler

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Oil leak
« on: December 05, 2023, 10:52:18 am »
Hi all,

Took my MK5 into VW because of a recall and they found two oil leaks in their diagnostics test. One is to do with the valve cover gasket and the other the vacuum pump. They are quoting £700 to fix both. The full price is £1148, but they messed up the recall - an upgrade on the ABS - and are now offering this discounted price as compensation. I'm just wondering whether I should bite the bullet and pay this, or take it to my local mechanic? I did call him but he said he couldn't give me a quote from that information, so maybe this is still too vague - apologies if so. What do you guys think?

Offline skkane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
Re: Oil leak
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2023, 04:21:39 pm »
700 for changing two gaskets is just nuts.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 04:24:03 pm by skkane »
2007 ED30

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2023, 04:41:25 pm »
Not sure on the vacuum pump but for the valve cover gasket my mechanic wanted £50 labour (genuine part cost me about £15 if i remember rightly).

Offline OllieVRS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2023, 08:20:53 pm »
Took me an two hours to take off the vacuum pump to change the gasket and put it back. Also two hours for the valve cover gasket, because getting the old one out was tough, it was so stuck in place.

But I'm no mechanic, so I took a bit longer.

Agreed though, £700 is nuts. What are they charging, £150 an hour? Mad.

Get it done by an independent if you're not that much into DIY, as one of the bolts on the high pressure fuel pump can be annoying if you have an earlier MK5 (upside-down banjo bolt with M8 Spline bit) when getting to the vacuum pump.
'06 Skoda Octavia vRS TFSI

Offline ramallahrambler

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2023, 03:52:19 pm »
Thanks all