Make a donation

Author Topic: ED30 vs MK7 DSG?  (Read 3363 times)

Offline MrChin

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
ED30 vs MK7 DSG?
« on: December 09, 2023, 09:21:06 am »
Hi all - long time reader of the forum but first post.  I've had a Mk5 GTI manual for 4 years which I love.  I changed jobs last year and drive in heavy traffic far more frequently, and while I enjoy the engagement of the manual, I have decided I need to switch to an automatic for convenience and comfort on my commute.  Having been bitten by the GTI bug, the replacement will be a GTI but the question is which model & version.  I drove a Mk7.5 PP (on 51k) with DCC a few weeks ago, expected to love it but I was surprised to find the drive left me underwhelmed - it just didn't feel as quick as my Mk5 (which is unmodified btw). Despite the price premium over the standard Mk5, I am really drawn to the ED30.  Naturally they are older, less tech and will require more maintenance, but the "modern classic" nature of the Mk5 appeals to me anyway.  Personally, I've never been keen on the Mk6 so not considering them.

So the perspective I'm seeking is the ED30 DSG vs Mk7/7.5 DSG (Std or PP).  Has anyone made the switch or driven both, and could provide some insights/experience?  Much appreciated...thx!

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 12
Re: ED30 vs MK7 DSG?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2023, 07:16:13 am »
I’m not sure an Edition 30 is worth buying unless you are going to modify it. Although it has slightly more power from the bigger turbo you will lose the immediate response from the smaller turbo that your current car has. Particularly for commuting the standard GTI is great. Modified and going for power, the Edition 30 is much better.

Offline Sean_ED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2023, 04:03:37 pm »
Mk7 GTI PP for me. I own a manual Edition 30 which I love, but at some point in the near future i'll be replacing my trusty 1.6 mini cooper with something else for commuting duties and it will be a Mk7 GTI with the performance pack and hopefully DSG if I can find one within budget. The mk5 is getting long in the tooth now and finding one that isn't rotten is getting more difficult. I wouldn't have a mk5 with DSG either after seeing too many horror stories of new buyers ending up with failed gearbox control units which is a costly repair.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2023, 04:30:37 pm »
Autos are the way forward in this day and age.  Way too many traffic jams......which absolutely did my head in with my manual ED30.

I agree about MK7s being underwhelming.  It's the steering rack and more linear torque curve.  Both just dilute it down a bit compared to the more feisty MK5. They need mods to come alive.

Don't overlook the MK6.  Far less prone to rot than the MK5 and much better made interior/exterior etc.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline gj124

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2023, 09:00:44 am »
Why do you not fancy a MK6? You could get a nice Edition 35 for about the same money as a MK7 PP or even less.

Offline MrChin

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2023, 08:21:52 pm »
Thanks for all the comments.  My last drive through town prompted me to act and I went for a DSG ED30.  Its in super condition, 72K miles with full VW service history, every option on the list (Xenon's, sunroof, reversing sensors, MFD2, highlines, multi function wheel etc) and stacks of paperwork/invoices.

Regarding the Mk6, its an interesting question.  Based on research, as I understand it they are basically a Mk5 mechanically (timing chain aside) with a heavy facelift.  Visually I like the front, but the back...not so much.  The Mk6 does seem to be in the shadow of the Mk5 and Mk7, it probably deserves more credit than it gets, but it does seem to be a little overlooked by comparison with less of a following.  Maybe that will change with time...