Offline frasermk5

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
VCDS
« on: January 20, 2024, 04:13:41 pm »
Can someone please explain to me how to obtain VCS in the UK? Is it a case of just buying the dongle and the software is free? Where do you download the software from? Etc

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 100
    • Email
Re: VCDS
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 08:36:05 pm »
I got mine from Gendan a well known supplier for diagnostic tools. If I remember rightly you get the hardware with a code to download the software from VCDS website.

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2024, 09:59:59 pm »
There are three types of licence. 3, 10 or unlimited car VINS allowed for full module access.

General fault checking and code clearing does not use one of the VIN allocations.
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 62
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2024, 02:02:53 am »
Yep, http://www.gendan.co.uk next day delivery for the cable, price depends as above how many vins you use. You can upgrade vins, I've got a 3 vin which I upgraded with direct to Ross-Tech for $129 to 10 vins.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 05:06:52 pm by GVK »

Offline Gull

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2024, 07:51:24 pm »
You can find a list of UK distributors on the RossTech website here https://www.ross-tech.com/distributors.php

The software is free to download direct from the ross-tech website (https://www.ross-tech.com/vcds/download/) , the license to use it is built into the VCDS dongle.
By registering the serial number of the dongle you get RossTech technical support and forum access - you _must_ register the dongle within something like the first 30 uses.

You can buy second-hand dongles (watch for fakes as they won't work with the newer versions of the software) but bear in mind they will be registered to the previous person. i.e. They'll work fine, you can upgrade the software etc but you won't get forum/tech support unless you get it re-registered with ross-tech, this involves a $200 fee and the previous owner to be compliant.

As someone pointed out here you can get three types of license, a 3 VIN, 10 VIN and Unlimited VIN, the VIN count goes down with each new car you use it on and perform a 'major' operation e.g. an adaptation or a global clear of DTCs (fault-codes), so you can clear individual DTCs and do diag scans on your mates VW without using up a precious VIN slot.

As GVK mentioned, you can pay to upgrade your VIN count. It might not seem obvious but going from 3 to 10 doesn't give you 10 more VINs, it gives you 7 more, once you've gone to 10, you can upgrade again for the same price to unlimited. You must be the registered owner to do this.

Offline Gull

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2024, 08:18:03 pm »
Forgot to say, I have an *unregistered* 3 VIN HEX-V2 dongle with 2 VINs left sitting about if you're interested?  :smiley:

I picked it up a while back and then a couple of weeks later got a really good deal on a HEX-NET unlimited (the built in wi-fi interface means you can use it without a PC) so never actually got round to registering the HEX-V2.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2024, 08:11:59 pm »
I got it from Ross-Tech direct. Hex-Net with 10 VIN limit. Quick shipping, and great support if registered with them  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D