Make a donation

Author Topic: NQS BBK A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit..NQS Rear mods now.....  (Read 424039 times)

Offline Gaz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
Re: NQS BBK A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit..NQS Rear mods now.....
« Reply #930 on: October 01, 2015, 11:08:37 am »
What are these like for fitting behind wheels without spacers?

Im putting together an 18z BBK but think im going to struggle to fit them behind my 19x8" ET45 BBS CKs. I think i may need 10mm spacers, which i simply cant afford to do due to wheels already flush with arches. Im not getting rid of the wheels so may need to sell BBK and go down NQSBBK route if these will definitely fit behind my wheels..

Also, what caliper part numbers would i be looking for?

Offline spb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #931 on: October 06, 2015, 08:40:28 am »
You should look for Porsche Boxster non-s calipers parts no 986 351 421, 986 351 422

Behind standard ET 51 Edition 30 wheels (Rockingham or Pescara as they are named in the UK) NQSBBK doesn't fit without spacers. I use hub centric HR 8mm spacers. Only 2-3mm are required but the thinnest hub centric that you can find are 8mm. I think I will get a pair of BBS CH ET 45 or 44 to get rid of the spacers

Offline jedi-knight83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #932 on: October 09, 2015, 04:52:11 pm »
Where is the rear brake thread?

Don't quite understand what the rear brake set up consists of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline petesimcock

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #933 on: October 10, 2015, 06:44:16 am »
From the little bit of reading I did, it looked to be changing the gti calipers for ones with smaller Pistons. This I do not understand. Maybe I read it wrong

Offline AIR_CHILLED

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
    • Email
« Reply #934 on: October 10, 2015, 07:39:14 am »

Where is the rear brake thread?

Don't quite understand what the rear brake set up consists of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's the link:
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,60375.0.html

Also try searching for 'Caddy 2k rear mod'

The calipers have larger 41mm pistons, same as S3 brakes but you retain the 286 / 283mm solid disc

I have just done this mod and now have both front and rear "NQSBBK" set-up.

Offline petesimcock

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #935 on: October 10, 2015, 09:24:23 am »
Ohhhhhh so I did get the wrong end of the stick!

Do the caddy carriers fit also? I would like to get everything refurbed to match my fronts without having to take my carriers off and send them away!

Offline AIR_CHILLED

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #936 on: October 10, 2015, 09:38:07 am »
Afraid not the caddy carriers are for smaller discs, I was in the same boat and tried to source some extra gti carriers but in the end just painted mine during the install.

Offline spb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #937 on: November 23, 2015, 11:21:38 am »
Textar OEM Porsche pads and anti-rattle shims.......................VERY few squeeks if ever.  :happy2:

Got the shims and paid pads and every time i press the pedal i get noise

Are you getting the clicking noise I talked about before?  Or sqealing? 

To update my previous post, I replaced my pads and rotors (both only had ~10k miles, but the rotors were junk) and the clicking noise went away....for about a 2 weeks.  I'm assuming because the pistons didn't have to move very far due to the new pads the noise dissapeared.  Now that they have some miles on them, the clicking noise is back.  It's driving me absolutely crazy!  Anyone else have this issue, or have had it and fixed it?  I'm assuming at this stage of the game, the only option I now have is to remove the calipers again and clean/replace the seals and dust shields to see if that makes a difference.  They aren't leaking any fluid, so that seems to remove the possibility of the seals being bad and making the noise.  Only other thing I can think of is something with the dust shields. 

As for squealing, with Stoptech street pads and the vibration dampers I get absolutely zero sqeaking or sqealing.  Just the gosh darn clicking when applying the brake.  And I can only hear it when I'm stopped.

Any news on the clicking noise?

Offline AIR_CHILLED

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #938 on: November 26, 2015, 08:36:44 pm »
Bit of a long shot but have you checked and torqued up the M12 cap screws? These attach the caliper to the adaptor. (10mm Allen key head)
I was getting a knocking noise last week when coming to a complete stop and it turned out to be loose bolts!
I must of tightened them to 80 nm rather than 80 lbs ft.

Offline nick0188

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #939 on: December 17, 2015, 05:34:33 pm »
Textar OEM Porsche pads and anti-rattle shims.......................VERY few squeeks if ever.  :happy2:

To update my previous post, I replaced my pads and rotors (both only had ~10k miles, but the rotors were junk) and the clicking noise went away....for about a 2 weeks.  I'm assuming because the pistons didn't have to move very far due to the new pads the noise dissapeared.  Now that they have some miles on them, the clicking noise is back.  It's driving me absolutely crazy!  Anyone else have this issue, or have had it and fixed it?  I'm assuming at this stage of the game, the only option I now have is to remove the calipers again and clean/replace the seals and dust shields to see if that makes a difference.  They aren't leaking any fluid, so that seems to remove the possibility of the seals being bad and making the noise.  Only other thing I can think of is something with the dust shields. 

As for squealing, with Stoptech street pads and the vibration dampers I get absolutely zero sqeaking or sqealing.  Just the gosh darn clicking when applying the brake.  And I can only hear it when I'm stopped.

Fixed, just as of last night actually.  Took the calipers off and rebuilt them with all new pistons, seals and dust boots.  Used all new centric parts.  The old pistons didn't have any major visable scratching on them, but I did find a few tiny shavings inside the caliper themselves. 

I blew them out REALLY well multiple times, lubed the hell out of the new pistons before putting them back in, etc.  Anyway, drove it to work this morning and all noises are completely gone.  I really should have done this earlier, as this noise has been driving me absolutely crazy for months. 

So with about 2.5 hours of time, they are now rebuilt and noise free.  Very very happy!

Offline spb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #940 on: January 21, 2016, 12:38:00 pm »

Fixed, just as of last night actually.  Took the calipers off and rebuilt them with all new pistons, seals and dust boots.  Used all new centric parts.  The old pistons didn't have any major visable scratching on them, but I did find a few tiny shavings inside the caliper themselves. 

I blew them out REALLY well multiple times, lubed the hell out of the new pistons before putting them back in, etc.  Anyway, drove it to work this morning and all noises are completely gone.  I really should have done this earlier, as this noise has been driving me absolutely crazy for months. 

So with about 2.5 hours of time, they are now rebuilt and noise free.  Very very happy!

Do you have the parts number for the new pistons, dust seals etc. Where did you get them? What lube did you use? I plan to do the same.

Offline spb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #941 on: January 26, 2016, 11:11:52 am »
I got also the centric parts  

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Offline Kris_editon30

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #942 on: April 06, 2016, 12:40:26 am »
so if i was to put the NQSBBK's on my car what pads would i need?? (cheap but good) :smiley:
and i'm assuming it will be normal disc that fit my car which is a golf mk5 edition 30..
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 12:42:16 am by Kris_editon30 »

Offline AIR_CHILLED

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #943 on: April 06, 2016, 10:04:15 pm »
so if i was to put the NQSBBK's on my car what pads would i need?? (cheap but good) :smiley:
and i'm assuming it will be normal disc that fit my car which is a golf mk5 edition 30..

Hi mate,
Pagid is a good budget pad (£50).
Textar are the oem grade pads and about £20 more.

Offline daz_rt_04

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
« Reply #944 on: June 21, 2016, 09:43:06 pm »
Evening chaps,

I've decided to jump on the band wagon with the NQS BBK.

So far, I've got the calipers and VB Fitting kit on route from Brake Caliper Refurbs.

Now, I'm not after a track setup so will mostly settle with standard discs.

Could anyone please link me to a set of decent quality pads? I've ordered Dampening pads to coincide via ECP.

I'll also need the caliper fitting kit via Porsche as my Calipers didnt come with unfortunately.

Do I need spacers with 18" Detroits?  :thinking: