Make a donation

Author Topic: NQS BBK A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit..NQS Rear mods now.....  (Read 421302 times)

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
Re: NQS BBK - A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit.....Now on with PICS
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2010, 08:46:17 pm »

Its looking promising for these  calipers, couple of installation issues which are far from insurmountable, which are not "engineeroutable" more to do with the differences in production of the caliper.

Dave, are you going to be making the brackets available for purchase soon? Also, what are the installation issues to watch out for?

I'm really eager to upgrade my brakes with this kit.  :happy2:

Well simply put the discs on a boxster are 24mm wide and we're using a 25mm disc so the gap between the pad pegs and the disc is fairly tight, its not a problem and we can engineer a bracket to position the disc centrally but its not interchangeable between calipers because not all calipers are the same.

Add to that a bit of track heat and its too close for comfort.

The simple answer which we achieved with Joes brakes was simply using a dremel tool remove approximately 1mm of material from the ends of the pad pegs, this gave us loads of clearance and the clearance issue didn't rear its head even after Joes best efforts in shermany.

Just to review where we're at.....

Brackets and VAG/Porsche HEL hose kit £200 delivered

In addition you'll need these off ebay item number 260600046912 or similar, porsche part number 986.351.421 & 422.

These can be purchased from Porsche Brand New for around £395 and a pad fitting kit is about £30 Pagid Pads maybe £40, 8 pad dampning shims about £30

If you buy some late model boxster/cayman calipers from ebay you'll probably pay £250 but you'll get the pad fitting kit/shims/pads probably thrown in, OEM pads are very good quality from Porsche and I personally wouldn't have any qualms about tidying them up and reusing them giving them a couple of 100 miles of very light use to give them a chance to bed in.

Brand new 312's are £60 for aftermarket ones, I've been debating whether or not OEM originals or good quality aftermarket 312's would be best but to be honest you need to treat them as disposable.

Joe for example seems to have got some pad deposits on his discs so naturally the next couse of action would be to skim them, but for an additional £30 we could get new ones - see what I mean .......affordable hooning

Joes Track pads were by RED pads by SBS, they aren't in production any more as SBS didn't really push them hard over their normal OEM aftermarket products. The Mitsubishi EVO guys rate the SBS pads for tarmac rallys and such like but Joes pads  only cost £50 and probably have got 10-12mm of material left for another couple of track days

So for as little as £500 (£200 to me, £250 to ebay, £50 ish track pads) you've got yourself a track capable 4 pot setup that appears to be holding its own. If it all goes horribly wrong and everything gets toasted/warped/cracked/fcuked you spend £60 on some new discs and put your road pads back in and drive home......

Joe was pushing (from what I hear  :grin:) and didn't get any fade, having said that the ring isn't too bad on brakes, I'd feel better if we'd had a chance to get them round Oulton. In addition joes discs were just plain items not drilled , not grooved which would also help

Stage two of development (a lightweight two piece disc option ) is going on hold for a little while as Stokey plans have changed.

Ive got a carrier/hose package here now and I've got a set of refurbed red calipers that were going to be stokeys, they are very presentable that somebody can have with a fitting kit for £300. I would do it for a little less to somebody who's got some track days planned and was running monza II's and would help with some more feedback etc

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2010, 09:05:42 pm »
does that mean that every time you change pads, you would need to dremel some material of the backing plate of the pads

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2010, 09:10:51 pm »
No the pad pegs are on the caliper give me 2 mins I'll put a pic up, do it once on install and forget about it.

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2010, 09:20:26 pm »

Its a case of removing some of the pad peg - not as much as I've shown here ....straightforward really

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2010, 09:21:21 pm »
thats not to bad then

Offline roastpuff

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2010, 10:08:06 pm »
Dave, what if I'm planning on track days, but am not in the UK and am not using Monza II's?

I'm guessing it's going to be 300 for the calipers and kit and 200 for the brackets/hoses, correct?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 11:00:02 pm by roastpuff »

Offline mo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2010, 10:39:08 pm »
Hi,
Will these fit behind pescara's?

Mo
2007 Ed30 Superchips Bluefin Stg 1
RNS510 & MDI

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2010, 08:35:15 am »

Its a case of removing some of the pad peg - not as much as I've shown here ....straightforward really

alot of the actual peg end is just excess powdercoat.

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2010, 04:06:00 pm »
DaveB pm sent  :wink: John

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2010, 06:01:30 pm »
I love the sound of this set up and the fun of the project  :happy2:

It looks like those calipers are as rare as rocking horse poo at the moment especially arounf the £250 mark. I wish I had seen this thread when there were still a bunch on ebay (thanks for pointing it out to me anyway, VRSy!).  Are they really £395 for both sides from Porsche new?

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2010, 06:36:18 pm »
DaveB pm sent  :wink: John

Replied - welcomes!!!

I love the sound of this set up and the fun of the project  :happy2:

It looks like those calipers are as rare as rocking horse poo at the moment especially arounf the £250 mark. I wish I had seen this thread when there were still a bunch on ebay (thanks for pointing it out to me anyway, VRSy!).  Are they really £395 for both sides from Porsche new?

Yep its incredible isn't it, if you look at "porsche calipers" on ebay you'll find all sorts of calipers referred to as "Big Reds" wheras in fact they were the calipers from a 993 BiTurbo - they fetch £600 caked in crap on ebay and maybe £700 for the same caliper but "Big Blacks" off a 928 GT - price from the dealer.........£280 a piece.

The calipers are current and fitted to a cayman and yes £395. They're a kind of blue black colour new, I was actually wrong in the previous post when I said that you need to buy the £35 pad fitting kit....Its actually included with the caliper. You're still into a pad wear sensor £10 and £30's worth of pad dampners which makes the kit very road civilised. Obviously you dont need dampners on track pads.

Its shaping up to be a good kit - slightly more money than an R32 setup but lighter and a great pedal.

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2010, 06:39:07 pm »
Rare as rocking horse sh*t?? Two different listings went in the last three days and I bought the second set with pads, sensors etc for less than £250  :happy2: and have just bought Daves mounting set and am at castle combe on the 3rd, will test going into camp and quarry on full chat :scared:, hope they are as good as the thread suggests (gotta be better than the std set up)

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2010, 09:58:51 pm »
sorry dumb here- each porsche new caliper - £395 per one . 2x£395 plus the £200 kit for a full front setup

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2010, 10:39:11 pm »
or £235 for two calipers in good nick of flebay and £200 to Dave, so am £435 so far plus disks and pads, (my calipers will be coming with pads but don't know what nick they are in?  jobs a good un (i hope  :happy2:)

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2010, 10:43:06 pm »
sorry dumb here- each porsche new caliper - £395 per one . 2x£395 plus the £200 kit for a full front setup

£395 is for the pair Keith  :happy2: