Make a donation

Author Topic: NQS BBK A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit..NQS Rear mods now.....  (Read 424517 times)

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
Re: NQS BBK - A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit... Another Guinea Pig
« Reply #120 on: June 03, 2010, 09:58:52 am »
John, I guess you've bedded in those brakes by now so what's the final verdict?  :wink:

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email

Offline alex_chung

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: June 04, 2010, 03:15:05 pm »
Don't tempt me man  :grin:
Alex

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #123 on: June 04, 2010, 03:16:47 pm »
i bet come july when ive got loads of money available, none wil be available

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #124 on: June 04, 2010, 03:43:12 pm »
Awww jeez, I've commited myself to something else otherwise these calipers would have done. I'll need to let things run and see how I get on.

Hey Sy - I  like that second picture from the Ring. Was the photo taken a few seconds before you took him on an outside line and showed him your tailpipe?  :wink:

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #125 on: June 04, 2010, 03:50:09 pm »
Muckipup et al, the final verdict is  :happy2: :happy2: :happy2:

Very happy with them, an excellent upgrade, loads of pedal feel and really hauls the car down in a way that the old brakes didn't, be aware when you first bed them in with some serious high speed braking you will get lots of smoke and associated worrying smells but seems to be normal, this soon dissapears when all the crap is burnt off. I took it reasonably easy on the brakes as I didn't have sticky track tyres on the golf and you need the stopping power of the brakes of which there is lots as well as the grip of sticky tyres which is a little lacking with my dunlops.

The biggest differences are:

1) You can feel the brakes bite and start to brake very early with these brakes which enables you to control your braking so much better and scrub off just the right amount of speed to still enable you to carry speed around the corner, the feel and control is by far the biggest difference and you need to experience it to beleive the difference it makes in this area

2) Outright stopping power feels much better, how much of this is subjective I don't know but it gives you a lot more confidence you can stop

3) Finally you get more stopping p[ower earlier, i.e. as soon as you start to use the brakes you start to get serious stopping which I didn't feel at all with the old brakes.

All the above is with the ferodo's didn't get a chance to get better pads, but will only get even better with better pads.

Finally, have just changed insurance company and they liked the fact that I had done the brakes as well as all the engine mods, my insurance actually went down.

They also look awesome, I keep going to look at them and point them out to all my friends - how sad is that?

Haven't had a chance to try fitting the pescara's hopefully at the weekend, the only downside is I am still worried about the caliper / wheel clearance, but has been fine so far so will probably not go with an spacers as don't really like spacers.

So definietly highly recommended by me :smiley:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #126 on: June 04, 2010, 03:52:09 pm »
Awww jeez, I've commited myself to something else otherwise these calipers would have done. I'll need to let things run and see how I get on.

Hey Sy - I  like that second picture from the Ring. Was the photo taken a few seconds before you took him on an outside line and showed him your tailpipe?  :wink:

I did actually beat him around the track irrelevant of the fact he started behind and flew past me.  The fact that he span out a few k further on means nothing to me, i still see it as a victory for the vRS :star:

have sent you PM on briskoda BTW
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 03:53:46 pm by vRSy »

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #127 on: June 04, 2010, 04:11:07 pm »
John, again many thanks!  :congrats:

I had another very close call this morning when an old guy who looked like Santa pulled out in front of me as I was scooting along a rural road. If Santa keeps driving like that he won't see Xmas for sure! Anyways, it was damn close and another incident where my current brakes left a bit to be desired. I decided there and then that a brake upgrade is a 'must do' for me and soon.

Sy - a definite victory for the VRS. Like the ad says - 'power is nothing without control'  :laugh:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #128 on: June 06, 2010, 08:52:49 pm »
Anyone pick up some calipers from ebay by any chance?

One set went very cheap

[ebay]250641427289[/ebay]

And one not so cheap

[ebay]250641422846[/ebay]

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #129 on: June 06, 2010, 10:06:01 pm »
Anyone pick up some calipers from ebay by any chance?

One set went very cheap

[ebay]250641427289[/ebay]

And one not so cheap

[ebay]250641422846[/ebay]

Yup, that would be me Steve. Alas it was the not so cheap ones that I bought  :sad1: . Still it was around the price that Dave B suggested would be fair. I thought I was going to get a bargain until I had a bit of competition at the last minute.

I saw the cheaper ones but did not bother going for them as they are the 996 part number calipers which wouldn't work for this project as Dave mentioned a few posts ago.

However, there are still calipers to be had

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250645016724&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160441363327&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

:happy2:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #130 on: June 06, 2010, 10:10:25 pm »
ah good man :happy2: :happy2:

lok forward to seeing how his pans out for you mate.

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #131 on: June 06, 2010, 10:13:25 pm »
Muckipup had a feeling it was you that bought them, i had a sneeky bid but you beat me  :happy2:

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #132 on: June 07, 2010, 10:55:27 am »
Muckipup had a feeling it was you that bought them, i had a sneeky bid but you beat me  :happy2:

Aha, so you were the competition  :evilgrin: Did you manage to bag any of the others on ebay?

ah good man :happy2: :happy2:

lok forward to seeing how his pans out for you mate.

Yeah, me too as I'll be paying these off on the credit card. I just need to make sure that nobody on this forum ever ever gets to meet my SWMBO and tell her what I do. EVER!  :grin:

I need to track down DaveB now for one of his fitting kits.

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #133 on: June 07, 2010, 11:21:49 am »
Muckipup, if you need any fitting advice / top tips pm me. Kit just keeps getting better, did a high speed thrash (was very late for start of competition) through single track cotswold lanes towing a trailer with 2 trials bikes on yesterday up to (v fast but legal  :wink:) in places and the brakes just haul the car down so quick when you come round the corner at barely legal speeds  :wink: and faced with oncoming car / tractor, even with all that extra weight on the back  :happy2:.

am getting a little bit of squeel at moment but only v little occasioanlly at v low speed and is my fault as i didn't bother with the fancy porsche antisqueel pads, nor in my haste copaslip on back of pads, I find on my 993 that a good coating of copaslip on the back of oe pads = no squeel.

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #134 on: June 07, 2010, 11:46:00 am »
Thanks John, that's much appreciated  :happy2:

Sounds like you had a similar experience on a country road to the one I had last week that made me decide for sure that this was the way to go!