Make a donation

Author Topic: NQS BBK A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit..NQS Rear mods now.....  (Read 424520 times)

Offline rex

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
Re: NQS BBK A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit..With Install Pics
« Reply #270 on: July 22, 2011, 07:52:46 pm »
OFFTopic My point was the drilled discs crack under intense braking (laurent for example experienced this on his A3 with brembo floating discs). And I have heard other people say this. This never happened to me since I never bought drilled discs for the reason above.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 07:58:11 pm by rex »

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #271 on: July 22, 2011, 08:19:35 pm »
yeh good point they do, its not the intense braking per se but the intense heat that the braking causes, I find on my track car you get little cracks radiating out from the holes over time (due to the extreme heat cycles) but you don't get any fade or loss of brake performance, I guess solid disks last longer because they tell you when they are overheating (by loss of performance). On my old brake set up (on my 911), I came in once at Castle combe and I actually had smoke coming out from the front brakes  :laugh: drew a small crowd!

anyway, back on topic, the NQSBBK with solid disks is ideal IMHO as no cracking, great performance and no fading, BUT my mkV was only running 275HP and 315lbft so don't know what they would be like on a 360HP ed30 tracked v hard??

Offline andyboygsi

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #272 on: July 22, 2011, 10:27:30 pm »
awesome, i need these in my life

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #273 on: July 23, 2011, 10:27:26 am »
yeh good point they do, its not the intense braking per se but the intense heat that the braking causes
Well that is what I meant  :innocent:. intense braking causes intense heat and that causes the cracks to appear.

anyway, back on topic, the NQSBBK with solid disks is ideal IMHO as no cracking, great performance and no fading, BUT my mkV was only running 275HP and 315lbft so don't know what they would be like on a 360HP ed30 tracked v hard??

True, exactly my point also!
BUT, I think it all comes to the driver. A friend of mine has a 400+ bhp Polo GTI. He still has his stock 288mm discs and stock calipers (only DS2500 + race fluid + metallic brake line). He had no problems with this setup on a track day because he new he had a problem with the brakes and he did not push them that far. This was my philosophy also before getting these NQSBBK. I knew I had bad brakes and I did not brake as hard as I could have.
Anyway, this setup is miles better than the stock GTI one.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #274 on: July 23, 2011, 04:41:41 pm »

Might be a retarded question but....

Will my caliper rewind tool be okay for this setup or do I need a new one?

If not Ill package it up with my Cupra 345 setup and let the buyer have it Gratis

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=sg60t3u0ovib9fuha1g8p9l16q&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #275 on: July 23, 2011, 04:42:43 pm »
You don't need not for the fronts as far as i know.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #276 on: July 23, 2011, 04:46:18 pm »

Do they rewind okay by hand?

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=sg60t3u0ovib9fuha1g8p9l16q&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #277 on: July 23, 2011, 04:49:39 pm »

Do they rewind okay by hand?

Someone who knows will tell you.. but AFAIK you don't need to rewind the fronts.

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #278 on: July 23, 2011, 05:22:33 pm »
Does rewind mean pushing the pistons back? If this is what it means I use a screwdriver to take the pads out and than push the pistons back using a bigger wrench.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #279 on: July 23, 2011, 05:44:43 pm »
Does rewind mean pushing the pistons back? If this is what it means I use a screwdriver to take the pads out and than push the pistons back using a bigger wrench.

Thats all I needed to know, ta.   :happy2:

Need a rewind tool for the big old cupra calipers.  thinking about chucking it in with my setup Ive sold but may need it for rears..

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #280 on: July 23, 2011, 10:33:19 pm »
Don't need rewind tool for the porsche front brakes, but I would keep it for your standard rears as you do need a rewind tool on the std rear brakes. HTH cheers John

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #281 on: July 24, 2011, 02:48:43 am »
I would also be interested in peoples thoughts on this. I'm thinking of it for the PoloGTI but not 100% sure about the cylinder size match as my understanding is that the pedal would have to travel further to get full braking?

+1

i know alot of guys are looking into new brakes at the moment on the various 1.4TSI forums but none want BBK's. so this would be ideal

Hurdy am i right in thinking you have alrwady looked into this?  If so what calipers and discs were you thinking.  danza made an interesting pst in Blades Polo thread ref Mk1 cupra R 4 pots with readily available 2 piece discs

Yeah, I interrogated a few chaps I know in the business and they said that the master cylinder sizes for the Polo/VRS/Boc meant that the Boxster brakes would work, but not as "feelsome" as brake sets designed for the MK4 would. For the prce difference I may go for the TAROX 6 pot brakes and a 312mm solid disc or even AP 4 pots and a 2 piece 330mm disc. I must admit I didn't look into a match for the Golf though, but it would be good to know if the master cylinders for the POLO GTI and the MKV Goolf GTI/ED30 are the same or not?.......aprt numbers anyone?
Golf R gone.

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #282 on: July 24, 2011, 04:36:19 am »
Mk4 gti & m5 gti ed30 & polo & fabia & Ibiza all 23.8mm

Boxster fronts would be perfect, as would Leon cupra R calipers

Boxster fronts on polo Gti is work in progress matey getting to the mock up stage will need a wheel soon

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #283 on: July 24, 2011, 04:40:19 am »
And just further to that, you need to look at the single piston size. Polo gti uses mk4 disc and mk5 calipers. So hydraulically it's mk5

Also just started work on the lightweight NQSBBK bracket, this bolts to S3 hubs and the whole package weighs the same as a packet of maltesers

Offline playback

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #284 on: July 24, 2011, 07:44:13 am »
Also just started work on the lightweight NQSBBK bracket, this bolts to S3 hubs and the whole package weighs the same as a packet of maltesers

Wow... Setup and reviews look awesome. Currently I am running a mk5 GTI AXX K04 that got upgraded a few years back make just on 300hp on the wheels.
Which on our fuel is about right .Nothing over the top or strongest around. Currently she uses stock everything except race fluid but she has just ticked over 100 000km and is feeling rather spungy.
I know shocker with the hp and lack of brakes.... I should also mention the car does not get tracked and now that I have a little one hooning is far less but I am sure with some better brakes the odd breakfast run may start happening more often :)
The wife drives it daily so nothing over the top is required but not squeling would be a must.

So...Dave
1st. Being in S.A. Could I just send u the cash, once you have it , u purchse from e-bay ,referb and the post them on down ?
2nd. As I am on the limit of what you would recommend for this upgrade eg 300hp I was thinking it would be awesome to get the 2 piece disc at the same time.

I am not sure what you meant by "lightweight NQSBBK bracket" but in my world I am guessing you are now looking into the 2 piece design ?
I am also guessing that besides the weight saving a 2 piece design would aid in heat dissapation ?

Again awesome for helping develop this solution.

I also saw you posted a pic of the 2 Piece discs this month in the post on pg 12.... The photo label says "apracing-j-rotors-002" and look awesome. Can only imagine these behind my current stock 18" mags.