Make a donation

Author Topic: NQS BBK A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit..NQS Rear mods now.....  (Read 421368 times)

Offline Dan648v

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,39823.0.html
Re: NQS BBK A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit..With Install Pics
« Reply #510 on: January 05, 2012, 08:46:09 pm »
Now 17z calipers and r32 discs sounds like my sort of brakes!

Any thoughts on this Dave? Or reviews? I'm looking for a 4/6 pot calipers to run a 330mm disc on, for my stage 2 Eddie.
Revo Stage 2+ Edition 30 No.1089 with added carbon

Offline Been-0

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #511 on: January 05, 2012, 09:00:15 pm »
Now 17z calipers and r32 discs sounds like my sort of brakes!

Any thoughts on this Dave? Or reviews? I'm looking for a 4/6 pot calipers to run a 330mm disc on, for my stage 2 Eddie.

You can get a 2-peice floating disc thingy(sorry I dont know the proper term for it them light-weight discs) in 330mm. You may be able to take the rear calipers of the same cars mentioned in my previous post they are 4 pots. Dunno how that will work and may need a custom bracket of some short.

Offline the bruce

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #512 on: January 05, 2012, 09:13:20 pm »
I'd avoid such a hassle. I'd just do this if I feel a need to improve the brake system:

1. If I had GTI brakes:

Go for the NQSBBK and add some good rotors like Tarox + pads like Pagid.

2. If I already had S3 brakes:

Go for OEM sized two-piece rotors (AP Strap Drive or Performance Friction Direct Drive),
a set of good pads (Ferodo, Pagid, PFC, Endless) and bronze bushes for the caliper.

In each case proper ventilation and fluid will help significiently. I believe if you do more
than this you better buy a complet brake kit.
"You get what you pay for."

Offline Been-0

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #513 on: January 05, 2012, 09:19:07 pm »
I'd avoid such a hassle. I'd just do this if I feel a need to improve the brake system:

1. If I had GTI brakes:

Go for the NQSBBK and add some good rotors like Tarox + pads like Pagid.

2. If I already had S3 brakes:

Go for OEM sized two-piece rotors (AP Strap Drive or Performance Friction Direct Drive),
a set of good pads (Ferodo, Pagid, PFC, Endless) and bronze bushes for the caliper.

In each case proper ventilation and fluid will help significiently. I believe if you do more
than this you better buy a complet brake kit.

Fair point... but I thought 1 of the main points was to keep the cost down? getting a full kit would be £1,300 - £2,000(based upon ESC stage 3 & 5). Sourcing the same parts yourself would cost you around £600-£1000, just a case of knowing where to look.

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #514 on: January 05, 2012, 09:26:17 pm »
Yes, that's the point. There's no sense spending more than 1000,-
as some BBKs are below 2000,--.
You are right, the two-piece-dics are somewhere on the edge.

http://www.apracing.com/info/products.asp?product=STRAP+DRIVE+KITS+AND+SYSTEM%2D%3Cbr%3E%3Cimg+border%3D%222%22+src%3D%22http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eapracing%2Ecom%2Fpics%2Fproductpics%2Fvw%2Dlogo%2Ejpg%22%2F%3E+Golf+MK5_2979_2960

Of course there are some alternatives from Tarox, Brembo, EBC
and RacingBrake.
"You get what you pay for."

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #515 on: January 06, 2012, 12:31:37 am »
Would love to keep the thread on the NQSBBK news and reviews.

The 17Z calipers are horrible and have HUGE piston sizes which are completely incompatible with a Mk5 MC, hydraulically they are worse than the 18z calipers which I wouldnt sell to people without the MC upgrade.

They only fit 330mm discs there is not a 330mmx32mm disc with the 61mm swept area required ...well not of any known or quality make

Putting expensive rotors on single piston calipers has been done to death on here and is in my view not the way forward

Theres been dozens of kits I've walked away from, I once put Diablo calipers on a GT Tdi Mk4, the caliper family was the same as a E38 728i Sport and you could get a pair for £80, it didn't work however so it got sacked off could have sold 30 sets of those kits in a weekend they're still under my stairs which is where they're staying cos they're crap....

Offline Been-0

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #516 on: January 06, 2012, 11:25:39 am »
How come the MC would need upgrading? I've had the 18z calipers on 2 cars so far and had no issues... VW GOLF MK4 1.4 & Audi A3 2.0 GT TDI, I'm now in the process of fitting it to my VW GOLF MK5 GT TDI. Just need the bolts and ss lines...

Fair enuff about keeping this thread for the NQS-BBK, btw r u the DaveB that refurbs calipers?? If so can I have your contact details as I'd like to have mine done.

Thanks

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #517 on: January 06, 2012, 11:54:34 am »
Got bolts and lines bud

17z calipers have 30% more piston surface area which is an unsafe mismatch to the 23.8mm master cylinder imvho

18z calipers have 20% more piston surface area which is still a mismatch but one you can get away with as long as you see the fitting of those calipers as a cosmetic upgrade, stick a master cylinder upgrade on that 18z caliper and they come alive.

Its hydraulics and physics, you quickly get into dismissing returns on piston sizes....

You must also consider the master cylinder is sprung internally to help pull the pad away from the disc hydraulically when you take the foot ofthe pedal, if you have a mismatch the pad won't leave the disc fully potentially increasing pad wear and operating temperatures.

You increase surface area exponentially so a doubling in size quadruples surface area

So who with a candy white edition 30 is going to buy the white  NQSBBK calipers in classifieds?

Offline Dan648v

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,39823.0.html
« Reply #518 on: January 06, 2012, 12:13:08 pm »
Dave your a very smart man!!!!  :surprised: certainly a credit to this forum!

do you have any kits laying around? you now have me thinking of 986 fronts/312mm rotors for my stage 2 ed30
Revo Stage 2+ Edition 30 No.1089 with added carbon

Offline Been-0

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #519 on: January 06, 2012, 12:15:37 pm »
Good to know more about the MC, is this something you could upgrade for me? At the moment the brakes are more of a cosmetic thing but I do have plans of taking my GT TDI to 250-60bhp.

Can you PM me your contact details please? need the lines and bolts asap. Just noticed my front pads will need changing within 800-1000miles so about a week ekkkkk!!

Saw them NQSBBK they look really nice, isit you that did the refurb? If so I'll also want to talk to you about this aswell.

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
« Reply #520 on: January 06, 2012, 06:46:03 pm »
Totally digressing,  but what mods are you fitting to achieve that sort of power from the GT TDi?

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline Been-0

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #521 on: January 06, 2012, 07:13:22 pm »
Totally digressing,  but what mods are you fitting to achieve that sort of power from the GT TDi?

Sent u a PM with the details - don't wan to go totally off topic on the thread :)

Offline taff-turbo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #522 on: January 06, 2012, 10:01:48 pm »
@ daveb; i realise its been posted previously but what is the price on these kits currently?  :happy2:

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #523 on: January 06, 2012, 10:18:11 pm »
had mine fitted today. tbh not noticed any difference between it and my old OEM set up, but considering that these haven't bedded in and are as good i'm sure once they're bedded in they'll tear my face off!! they do feel completely OEM tho, just as smooth and not squeaky at all!! very happy :happy2:

unfortunately tho Midland VW couldn't fit my rear SS brake likes as apparently there was some problem with the thread on my OEM rubber lines - the thread is knackered so they can't be replaced without replacing the line all the way to the ABS pump? not sure it's worth the hassle so my rear lines may be up for sale soon to get some of my money back  :sad1:

any advice on bedding in guys?

PS - DaveB is a thoroughly nice bloke, definitely a credit to the forum. and if there's anyone i want looking after my braking it's definitely a pilot :signLOL:
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #524 on: January 07, 2012, 05:04:10 pm »
:ashamed:

the clearance isn't AMAZING considering that i've got 8J ET44 wheels  :confused:

2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+