Make a donation

Author Topic: NQS BBK A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit..NQS Rear mods now.....  (Read 422479 times)

Offline the bruce

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
Re: NQS BBK A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit..With Install Pics
« Reply #525 on: January 07, 2012, 06:55:32 pm »
Good to know with my VZ there is some clearance.  :wink:
"You get what you pay for."

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #526 on: January 10, 2012, 11:45:43 am »
Ben

Its certainly cheaper, the whole point of the NQSBBK was the 75% rule.....  which was to give 75% of the performance of the normal BBK's but saving 75% of the £2k kits, the process of mounting the brembo "raw" casting in the lathe to remove the 7mm to min thickness and then remove to a vertical miller to drill or J hookand then powder coat takes quite a bit of time, with the investment I've got now its easier to do things 15 at a time than what I used to do which was 3 or 4 at a time.

So..... £225-£250 for the proper job 312's sounds expensive even to me and Im selling them! That said you'd pay £160 for some OEM R32 discs

Not withstanding that if you've got 6 or 7 track days planned for the year plus a ring trip and you're the kind of chap that gets up at 5am on a summer sunday to go for a blat around your favourite roads in your stage 2/2+ eddie then I wouldnt be without them - seriously

Our drilling CNC Program ensures no hot spots which helps to prevent premature cracking in the drilled discs and the J Hooking isnt invasive...

Somebody was asking after the 2 piece 315mm option, its going to be a non starter down to rotor cost so heres the plan......

There is a single piece billet machined caliper in development, its going to be backward compatible with the Cayman caliper but will take the larger deeper pad from the 996 Carrera 2/4 this eliminates the requirement for disc area removal as the pad and disc now match in height.

The piston height will come down allowing a slimmer caliper that will work on all OEM wheels without any spacer at all, its also going to be very tighly cowled around the pistons to weight save and might have some aero on the back for cooling purposes in true touring car styleeee....

Best bit is being able to specify my own piston sizes to really ensure we get as much out of the Master Cylinder as possible, there is a MC upgrade available for the Mk5 but it aint cheap so its nice to be specific

The Cayman Caliper tops out on disc diameter at about 320mm the new caliper will go to 330mm and maybe 28mm wide enabling an affordable AP Racing 2 piece option on the discs.

Apart from all the tech stuff it will have brembo style dust seals and be able to use the Porsche Pad dampeners for good road manners

Lots of design work to do, found myself a Draughty, worst bit will be destroying a pair of calipers for measuring purposes

Love the sound of the development.  330mm 2piece rotor and lightweight caliper matched to MC was ultimately what I was after.  :party:

Offline Dan648v

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,39823.0.html
« Reply #527 on: January 11, 2012, 10:54:58 pm »
Dave yhpm  :happy2:

In need of a caliper fitting kit!
Revo Stage 2+ Edition 30 No.1089 with added carbon

Offline tkboyle

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #528 on: January 19, 2012, 11:59:02 am »
Just trying to get my head round this and hopefully someone can help.

The brembo on a boxter is located at the back of the wheel and not the front unlike the golf.
So the larger piston is at the bottom as this should be at the leading edge of the caliper.

So when swapping them to the golf this means that you to swap over so that the brake bleed is at the top.

Is this right?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 12:03:04 pm by tkboyle »

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #529 on: January 19, 2012, 01:13:58 pm »
Yep

Here you go

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #530 on: January 25, 2012, 01:23:45 pm »
Another little aside to the nqs thread!....

Is 35/32 giving 1766mm2 too small for the front of a mk5 gti?

Milltek tbe, Forge intercooler, AMD map, Eibach Sportlines, Porsche 996 over AMG 330mm homegrown BBK

Offline mvb12

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 64
  • VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
    • Email
« Reply #531 on: January 25, 2012, 01:34:08 pm »
 :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

What a beautiful read, have now finished reading from page 1 to current.

I must admit, I can't get my head round any of clearance issues/grinding down ect, but i do like the idea of the NQSBBK.
If someone that fully understands all of this can they PM me as i have a lot of questions to get upto speed and get a full understanding of the brake situation.

Upto now i've only has an interest in oem/oem+ body kits ect so this is new terrain for me and hopefully someone can spare some time to help me out as its something i want to get to grips with!

Cheers
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 09:00:53 am by mvb12 »
VCDS HEX NET / VCP / ODIS - COVERING LONDON AND MIDLANDS
VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
Canbus Gateway - Supply and fit (Stop battery drain issues)

Offline vRS_Pagey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 59
« Reply #532 on: January 25, 2012, 01:46:55 pm »
Just trying to get my head round this and hopefully someone can help.

The brembo on a boxter is located at the back of the wheel and not the front unlike the golf.
So the larger piston is at the bottom as this should be at the leading edge of the caliper.

So when swapping them to the golf this means that you to swap over so that the brake bleed is at the top.

Is this right?

I'm by no means an expert but surely if you swap the caliper side to side rotating horizontally 180 degrees it would be correctly orientated?

His: MK2 Black Magic Skoda Octavia vRS Estate
Hers: MK5 Graphite Blue Pearl VW Golf GT140 -

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32783.0.html

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #533 on: January 25, 2012, 04:58:15 pm »
It wouldn't work Lee, have a look at DaveB's diagram as it's kinda hard to explain...the calipers are usually fitted to a Porsche but behind the disc with the bleed nipples up and the smaller piston at the bottom (which is where you want it as the smaller piston should 'see' the rotating disc first). If you imagine rotating the calipers round to the front of the disc, then the bleed nipples are at the bottom (not good for bleeding) although the smaller piston is at the top where you want it. Now imagine if you swap the caliper over to the other side of the car, you would have to turn it upside down to line up the bolt holes - the bleed nipples are now at the top which is good but the smaller piston is at the bottom, which is bad (for progressive braking and feel). The only way to get around this is to keep the calipers to the correct side but put the bleed nipples where the fluid pipe ports are and vice versa. I hope that makes sense  :confused:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 05:01:51 pm by muckipup »

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #534 on: January 25, 2012, 07:26:35 pm »
Another little aside to the nqs thread!....

Is 35/32 giving 1766mm2 too small for the front of a mk5 gti?

No good for a Mk5 Jim, if you divide by Pi then square root it and times by two it comes to a single piston equivalent size of 47mm which will give a very sharp pedal with no stopping power at all

Standard piston size on a Mk5 is 54mm you're ok 7% either side of design size IMHO many wouldn't put anything on smaller at all. Smaller is the safety case Bigger is the shoddy pedal case.

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #535 on: January 25, 2012, 08:57:38 pm »
Thanks Dave - I think the caliper I mentioned is a db9 rear, I thought it would be too small. Will give it a miss.

I thought you mentioned 20% is ok, sorry if I'm wrong but I have read so much on this that I am forgetting what I have taken in!

It is said that the 996TT are good for the mk5, but they come out at 2655mm2 , which is about 15% greater than standard (dia54 giving 2291) , +20pc gives a max allowable of 2749mm2.

996 being 2275mm2 so about bang on standard so should give a factory pedal - disregarding physical fitment of the thing.

Milltek tbe, Forge intercooler, AMD map, Eibach Sportlines, Porsche 996 over AMG 330mm homegrown BBK

Offline JimmyMature

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #536 on: January 25, 2012, 09:07:04 pm »

Hi DaveB, what's the current price on everything needed for the NQSBBK? I have a MK6 GTI.

Cheers,

Jim
MK6 GTI | DSG | Leather | Cruise Control | 18 Monza Shadow | Reversing Camera | Smoked LED Rears | RNS510C | Parking Sensors Front & Rear | R Mirror Covers | Reflex Silver | Bluefin |

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #537 on: January 25, 2012, 09:23:18 pm »
Thanks Dave - I think the caliper I mentioned is a db9 rear, I thought it would be too small. Will give it a miss.

I thought you mentioned 20% is ok, sorry if I'm wrong but I have read so much on this that I am forgetting what I have taken in!

It is said that the 996TT are good for the mk5, but they come out at 2655mm2 , which is about 15% greater than standard (dia54 giving 2291) , +20pc gives a max allowable of 2749mm2.

996 being 2275mm2 so about bang on standard so should give a factory pedal - disregarding physical fitment of the thing.

Check your numbers on the 996tt caliper buddy and don't forget R32 calipers are 57mm on the same master cylinder.

DB9 rears are 34/38 and are the proper config (leading) also the pad size is 54mm tall so I'm toying with the idea of making a carrier for the Polo GTI with cupra R discs, that would be great.

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #538 on: January 25, 2012, 10:07:10 pm »
Jim, besides from piston sizes keep in mind 996 calipers require larger rotors.
Larger rotor diameters increase brake torque.
So (from theory) with larger discs you need smaller piston sizes if the front brake
has to mate existing rear brake system to preserve balance.

The NQSBBK provides slightly larger pad area and much better pad pressure
distribution, so increased brake caliper efficiency. I bet the slightly smaller piston
area won't weaken balance.

:wink:
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 10:12:30 pm by the bruce »
"You get what you pay for."

Offline mkviken

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #539 on: January 30, 2012, 04:58:46 pm »
if i were to get some used brembo boxster calipers and discs who/where make and sell the hardware i need to fit these such as brake lines, brackets and bolts?

the past few times I've driven the car I've been really pissed off with the poor OEM brakes. I've got to get these upgraded.

thanks