Make a donation

Author Topic: NQS BBK A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit..NQS Rear mods now.....  (Read 424516 times)

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
Re: NQS BBK A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit..With Install Pics
« Reply #555 on: February 09, 2012, 02:54:23 pm »
Only a little when my last pads were new on (DS2500s) but I have the Porsche 'anti rattle shims' fitted into caliper pistons and use CeraTec as an anti-squeel compound (copper grease rots the rubber dust seals on the pistons!). The previous low-speed squeel went away after about a week or two.

I just fitted Pagid RS4-2s and new discs at the weekend and have only had the tiniest amount of squeel but that was only with light breaking when cold at about 30 mph and I'll bet that it will dissapear soon.

How do you find the blues  :driver:  there ace!

So far so good but really only been driving on them for 3 days so still bedding in a bit - initial impressions are that they are great; they are equivalent to my DS2500s even at a pre-bedding in stage so we will see how much they improve over the days to come.

I followed the Pagid bedding-in procedure as closely as I could and got some reasonable heat in them but there was a limit to what I could do on a public road at the time  :chicken:

I also put some Black Diamond discs on. The J-hooks with DS2500s were great but I kept building pad deposits on the discs which caused vibration when braking and which kept getting reported as 'warped' discs on servicing and MOT. A good rub down with an abrasive always sorted it for a while but I will keep the J-hooks as spare for the moment.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 03:01:03 pm by muckipup »

Offline Dan648v

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,39823.0.html
« Reply #556 on: February 13, 2012, 06:17:22 pm »
I'm collecting parts for my nqs bbk and need/want new pads

Can anyone recommend a pad for fast road no track use? And also a link to where to buy from would be great! Going in 986 calipers
Revo Stage 2+ Edition 30 No.1089 with added carbon

Offline Deako

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #557 on: February 13, 2012, 06:33:18 pm »
I'm collecting parts for my nqs bbk and need/want new pads

Can anyone recommend a pad for fast road no track use? And also a link to where to buy from would be great! Going in 986 calipers

You can get OEM Porsche Textar pads for £50 a set on eBay with free delivery.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #558 on: February 13, 2012, 08:45:11 pm »
Do you know the part number or link?

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG

Offline mkviken

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #560 on: February 14, 2012, 03:48:18 pm »
DaveB1870 - been trying to contact you regarding supplying this kit.

could you PM me please

cheers

Offline rex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
« Reply #561 on: February 18, 2012, 12:01:33 pm »
Dave, I have done some calculations and the area covered by the 4 pistons from the NQSBBK (36/40) is sightly less than the area covered by the 54mm radius OEM Piston. The difference is very small so I think we can say it is virtually the same area.
Does this translate into: The nqsbbk and OEM GTI setups have the same stopping power? Is the area covered by the pistons similar to "stopping power"?
I know the differences in weight and pedal feel are huge, but is the stopping power identical?

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #562 on: February 18, 2012, 01:02:08 pm »
Pad area to consider also Rex! :wink:

Milltek tbe, Forge intercooler, AMD map, Eibach Sportlines, Porsche 996 over AMG 330mm homegrown BBK

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #563 on: February 18, 2012, 01:31:52 pm »
Pad area doesn't take into account. It only improves thermal capacity and lowers wear.

http://www.pagidracing.com/techinfo.html#bigger

But it's even more complex. The fixed 4-pot caliper provides much better (lower) hysteresis
and so improved efficiency.
"You get what you pay for."

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #564 on: February 18, 2012, 01:42:13 pm »
Hi Rex

Opposed piston calipers have a much better pedal feel than floating calipers, brand new or recently serviced floating calipers can work well but tired slide bushes and corroded pins and the fact that the single piston needs to deal with all the braking just means you don't find them on many race cars...!

The split in piston sizes  is to give some feedback, the small piston will deploy first giving initial bite and a positive pedal and the bigger piston will provide the depth of braking, that said we're talking fractions of a mm here. They re also staggered to avoid pad taper. The 996TT takes this to the next level with 36/44mm pistons which give a great pedal and a lot of pedal in reserve

NQS has many benefits, pad choice, light weight and a great pedal. They'll also give great performance over a long time where the OEM setups do wear out if not serviced.

Used to break my heart people hanging S3 setups from £1500 quids worth of KW's finest

In addition they look great and give you a step up from OEM without the £1200-£2000 price tag

I had a guy drill his own discs a couple of weeks ago, this is the sort of guy this kit would appeal to, yes people can buy all the stuff of me such as refurbed calipers, NQS Discs but I envisaged people having a go to keep the costs down?

pad area just improves heat headroom bigger pad doesn't mean better stopping, you shouldn't underestimate the weight of big pads.....

Offline rex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
« Reply #565 on: February 18, 2012, 04:07:34 pm »
Thanks guys for the clarification!
 :drinking:

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #566 on: March 22, 2012, 12:45:14 pm »
hi all im new to this forum so cant advertise in classifieds so here is a link to my Porsche boxster s rear calipers for sale.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?65665-Porsche-brembo-calipers-and-eurospec-rear-280-brakes

http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?474638.post

They are the wrong calipers for this conversion, and according to Dave area very dangerous if fitted to the front of a VW.

Offline mvb12

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 64
  • VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
    • Email
« Reply #567 on: March 22, 2012, 01:22:14 pm »
i'm quite keen to get this setup but i've contacted daveB ..... but lets just say he's too busy.

tried the site www.vagbremtechnic.com (which i asume it's daves site) but it don't work.

ideally i just want to buy the whole kit 1 time as i can't be asked to troll the net ect.

any ideas people.
VCDS HEX NET / VCP / ODIS - COVERING LONDON AND MIDLANDS
VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
Canbus Gateway - Supply and fit (Stop battery drain issues)

black dub

« Reply #568 on: March 22, 2012, 02:49:53 pm »
hi all im new to this forum so cant advertise in classifieds so here is a link to my Porsche boxster s rear calipers for sale.

They are the wrong calipers for this conversion, and according to Dave area very dangerous if fitted to the front of a VW.

i thought that is what people were using according to the first load of pages on this topic?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 07:36:07 pm by SteveP »

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #569 on: March 22, 2012, 04:08:14 pm »
No, the correct caliper is the Boxter 2.5/2.7 front caliper.