Make a donation

Author Topic: Jabbalad's Candy white Edition 30 build thread  (Read 71746 times)

Offline jabbalad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
    • Jabbasport
    • Email
Re: Jabbalad's Candy white Edition 30 build thread
« Reply #150 on: May 18, 2010, 09:46:42 pm »
Right, take this the right way guys, but I think everyone is waiting for these magic figures may be missing the point.. Also, try and give the guys at Jabba a little bit of a breathing space..

A hybrid K04 isn't going to make silly figures, but what it could well do is really improve on the OEM turbo's power and torque curve, translating into 'actual' real world performance, and not just pub talk peak dyno figures..

As we all know there is massive disparity between dyno's, Stage 2+ cars making 350hp to 400hp with no differences to spec.. So there is always going to be that argument too.. Something that no one can defend against unfortunately.. However..

I think Lee would agree that a much better test would be to look at 1/4 mile terminals, and as Lee recently ran at Santa Pod this will be a true measure of the cars performance.. 111mph with K04 and standard cooler then ???mph with hybrid and S3 cooler.. Thats what ill be looking at anyways :smiley:

With 390-400hp 116+mph terminals would be easily attainable..

Wish you the best of luck! :happy2:

cheers jonny, wish everybody had your mind set  :smiley:

Jonny is absolutely right, The Hybrid K04 wont make massive figures, but what hybrid of a standard turbo ever has?

With this turbo were trying to develop something that will give you quite a bit more power and better every day drivability, but without the cost (and hassle) of going for a "big turbo kit"

So far what we have done is something that other software developers would take months to work out even with many people all looking for the same bits!
The bit were struggling with at the moment is something we know has been left by other developers, were trying to get round this, but it means Kev has to sit day in day out looking through the ecu trying to find it (whilst still doing booked in work like mapping Clio Rallycross cars, and brand new Grinnal road cars! :smiley:)

We are making progress, but we dont really have anything to go against as there isnt any figures out there for this turbo  :scared:

My bum Dyno has felt a massive difference in how it drives and the outright power and torque (which would go with our before and after Dyno comparison) and it now feels quicker than my 440bhp A3 that i had before!

When its all done and were happy with it i suppose the best thing we can do is to take it to a rolling road where others have been? that way it would be more of a direct comparison?
Where abouts was Hurdys 383bhp run done by chance?

I know its difficult to proove performance figures over the internet without posting Dyno plots..... but on the second hand you dont drive to the shops on a Dyno  :happy2:

If anyone wants to come and have a go in my car your more than welcome, its at jabba all day (and night most days :laugh:) I suppose that would be the best way for people to make up there own minds  :smiley:

It will also be at the upcoming York Raceway event at the end of the month running the car (along with Stoner show, Edition 38, GTI international were we have a stand! and as many other shows i can possibly get to)  :smiley:
I will let jonny loose in it at York if he fancies a go  :grin:

Luke  :smiley:
12.7 santapod... soon to be quicker :-)

Candy White Edition 30; Custom KW clubsports, Eibach hollow arbs, Jabba remap, BTB Exhaust, Twintake, Autotech HPFP, Team Dynamics wheels, VWR Big Brakes.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #151 on: May 18, 2010, 09:49:10 pm »

Hurdys run was @ Nobles motorsport in chesterfield i think mate  :happy2:

Offline owen lcr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
  • owen
    • Email
« Reply #152 on: May 18, 2010, 10:08:44 pm »
does it actually work out much cheaper than buying a big turbo though?  Turbo dynamics are charging £900 to carry out the work aswell as the cost of the turbo.  Everyone i have spoken to says that turbo dynamics have refused there supplies turbos due to excessive play. so basically you need to supply a brand spanking turbo £1400 i think +£900 for work, isnt the price of going big turbo not much more than this.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #153 on: May 18, 2010, 10:10:55 pm »
does it actually work out much cheaper than buying a big turbo though?  Turbo dynamics are charging £900 to carry out the work aswell as the cost of the turbo.  Everyone i have spoken to says that turbo dynamics have refused there supplies turbos due to excessive play. so basically you need to supply a brand spanking turbo £1400 i think +£900 for work, isnt the price of going big turbo not much more than this.

Yup :( Steve said they refused 1 of 2 turbos for what they class as "too much journal wear to be able to mod"
If I shell out for my turbo taking off to be sent off to be told its no good its a week without my car and wasted euros :'(

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #154 on: May 18, 2010, 10:17:51 pm »
You are forgetting that a hybrid K04 will bolt straight on and you will just need a map compliment it.  If you go BT you there are a whole host of extras you will require - new manifold, dump valve, exhaust, intake ...

Offline owen lcr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • owen
    • Email
« Reply #155 on: May 18, 2010, 10:19:29 pm »
he had sent 2 away and both were refused, so he got one with 5k on it and waiting to hear back regarding that one, if i was going to spend £2500ish on a turbo i think i would be going for gt3071

Offline owen lcr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • owen
    • Email
« Reply #156 on: May 18, 2010, 10:22:33 pm »
You are forgetting that a hybrid K04 will bolt straight on and you will just need a map compliment it.  If you go BT you there are a whole host of extras you will require - new manifold, dump valve, exhaust, intake ...

your right mate, i dont know how much a fullBT upgrade would cost excluding internals, just wasnt sure if it would be much more than the hybrid option???

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #157 on: May 18, 2010, 10:26:11 pm »
but this is exactly the point of the hybrid.  its alright having allof this power high up in the rev range but if boost comes in really late its not going to be drivable in everyday conditions.

for instance take into consideration hurdys k04  car compared with DanGBs gt28

look how much more torque and power hurdy is making early on. 

Offline owen lcr

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • owen
    • Email
« Reply #158 on: May 18, 2010, 10:32:44 pm »
great graphs si, I have no doubt that the K04 hybrid will be alot more drivable and is a great idea.  Is there any way to give the turbo a check for movement as a routine check or does it need to be inspected professionally, i remember my old LCR had the turbo go and when i checked for movement the impeller moved about 10-15mm side to side when it shouldnt really move atall

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #159 on: May 18, 2010, 11:14:39 pm »

Hurdys run was @ Nobles motorsport in chesterfield i think mate  :happy2:

:happy2:

I'd love to get to York on the 31st, but I'm working :sad1:
Golf R gone.

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #160 on: May 18, 2010, 11:31:34 pm »
Right, take this the right way guys, but I think everyone is waiting for these magic figures may be missing the point.. Also, try and give the guys at Jabba a little bit of a breathing space..

A hybrid K04 isn't going to make silly figures, but what it could well do is really improve on the OEM turbo's power and torque curve, translating into 'actual' real world performance, and not just pub talk peak dyno figures..

As we all know there is massive disparity between dyno's, Stage 2+ cars making 350hp to 400hp with no differences to spec.. So there is always going to be that argument too.. Something that no one can defend against unfortunately.. However..

I think Lee would agree that a much better test would be to look at 1/4 mile terminals, and as Lee recently ran at Santa Pod this will be a true measure of the cars performance.. 111mph with K04 and standard cooler then ???mph with hybrid and S3 cooler.. Thats what ill be looking at anyways :smiley:

With 390-400hp 116+mph terminals would be easily attainable..

Wish you the best of luck! :happy2:

cheers jonny, wish everybody had your mind set  :smiley:

Jonny is absolutely right, The Hybrid K04 wont make massive figures, but what hybrid of a standard turbo ever has?

With this turbo were trying to develop something that will give you quite a bit more power and better every day drivability, but without the cost (and hassle) of going for a "big turbo kit"

So far what we have done is something that other software developers would take months to work out even with many people all looking for the same bits!
The bit were struggling with at the moment is something we know has been left by other developers, were trying to get round this, but it means Kev has to sit day in day out looking through the ecu trying to find it (whilst still doing booked in work like mapping Clio Rallycross cars, and brand new Grinnal road cars! :smiley:)

We are making progress, but we dont really have anything to go against as there isnt any figures out there for this turbo  :scared:

My bum Dyno has felt a massive difference in how it drives and the outright power and torque (which would go with our before and after Dyno comparison) and it now feels quicker than my 440bhp A3 that i had before!

When its all done and were happy with it i suppose the best thing we can do is to take it to a rolling road where others have been? that way it would be more of a direct comparison?
Where abouts was Hurdys 383bhp run done by chance?

I know its difficult to proove performance figures over the internet without posting Dyno plots..... but on the second hand you dont drive to the shops on a Dyno  :happy2:

If anyone wants to come and have a go in my car your more than welcome, its at jabba all day (and night most days :laugh:) I suppose that would be the best way for people to make up there own minds  :smiley:

It will also be at the upcoming York Raceway event at the end of the month running the car (along with Stoner show, Edition 38, GTI international were we have a stand! and as many other shows i can possibly get to)  :smiley:
I will let jonny loose in it at York if he fancies a go  :grin:

Luke  :smiley:
For what its worth Luke I think there are a fair few of us who share Jonny's mind set. What you are doing is a really interesting development for the 2.0 K04 GTI. I for one am paying careful attention to this thread, so thanks for the updates when you have time for them. I certainly am not holding you guys to any time schedules  :happy2:

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #161 on: May 19, 2010, 12:12:41 am »
Luke.. First of all.. Sorry for calling you Lee lol..

I'd like to have a go of yours, would be very interesting having had experience of the Stage 2+ and big turbo on the 2.0T FSI.. Anyways, look forward to meeting you and having a nose round the car on the 31st..

:)
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #162 on: May 19, 2010, 09:42:07 pm »
Update?
Golf R gone.

Offline jabbalad

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Jabbasport
    • Email
« Reply #163 on: May 19, 2010, 10:53:56 pm »
Update?

not a great deal to report back to if im honest, Kev has made some changes, and they feel better on the road, but untill we have a free sport on the rollers we cant update with any power figures...  :sad1:

I dont think we have any time free on there before i go away, but we will try our best  :happy2:

12.7 santapod... soon to be quicker :-)

Candy White Edition 30; Custom KW clubsports, Eibach hollow arbs, Jabba remap, BTB Exhaust, Twintake, Autotech HPFP, Team Dynamics wheels, VWR Big Brakes.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #164 on: May 19, 2010, 11:03:19 pm »
Gonna try my damndest to get to York on the 31st as I haven't been on a 1/4 mile since the latest raft of mods (Quaife,R1R's,engine mounts, Bilsteins,weight reduction,decat etc), and would like to have a head to head if I can too :happy2:
Golf R gone.