Make a donation

Author Topic: Recaro (1K0 010 615 K ?) and other info needed....  (Read 16718 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Recaro (1K0 010 615 K ?) and other info needed....
« on: May 27, 2010, 12:03:45 am »
This label suggests that the factory option Recaro has part # 1K0 010 615 K:

Can anyone please confirm this, and does anyone have a link or access to an exploded view on ETKA?

It's this seat version:

I'm wanting to investigate disabling the tilt-release mechanisms to avoid a potential issue when using a trackday harness.

Thanks as always  :drinking:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 08:48:34 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
Re: Recaro (1K0 010 615 K ?) and other info needed....
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 04:26:41 pm »
^^^^
Guess what!? That part # is for the label, not the seat!

Nothing informative on ETKA my friendly neighbourhood VW dealer Parts Manager tells me.

TTshop to the rescue and bossman Dave tells me all is do-able - They've had the Recaro's apart from their TT-RS build. He also says I have a very important point about the potential danger if the tilt-release isn't disabled [Thanks to *animal* for bringing this to our attention].

« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 10:53:48 pm by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 10:38:21 pm »
Good work Robin, get yours done as a test bed then i can get mine done.  :evilgrin:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 10:43:19 pm »
^^^^
It's gotta be done, TC  :happy2: - I'll keep this thread up to date on it.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 10:47:20 pm »
 :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 08:16:40 am »
^^^^
Just thinking, TC..

Yours has a Schroth Quikfit harness like mine but is a 3-door and so you need to access the back seats by tilting your Recaro's. Disconnecting the steel cable which operates the tilt release will leave the seat back locked AFAIK and so severely restrict your rear seat access.

I'm hoping to see someone today, so more later..

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 11:10:24 am »
^^^^
Just thinking, TC..

Yours has a Schroth Quikfit harness like mine but is a 3-door and so you need to access the back seats by tilting your Recaro's. Disconnecting the steel cable which operates the tilt release will leave the seat back locked AFAIK and so severely restrict your rear seat access.

I'm hoping to see someone today, so more later..

The tilt function is pants anyway, and i can still use the passenger side. The baby sits up front with me so i can get round the problem.
Also i think wearing the seat belt as well should allow the harness to work properly.  :smiley:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 11:21:03 am »

Also i think wearing the seat belt as well should allow the harness to work properly.  :smiley:

....I don't quite understand.. My Schroth harness uses some of the same attachment points as the oem seat belt, so I don't see how you'd wear both together. Or am I missing something?

Off out now to find my coachbuilder friend and ask him about taking my Recaro apart.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 11:25:22 am »
It was only what i worked out inside my peanut, but cant you just plug the harness into the passenger side seatbelt anchor point, allowing the seatbelt to have normal usage.  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 01:13:07 pm »
It was only what i worked out inside my peanut, but cant you just plug the harness into the passenger side seatbelt anchor point, allowing the seatbelt to have normal usage.  :happy2:

....Aha, I hadn't thought of that. Of course it might only work if you didn't have a passenger on board. I think you'd feel somewhat subjected to bondage if wearing both oem inertia belt and Schroth harness.

My coachbuilder friend appears to be on holiday so I won't have any more Recaro tilt mech disabling info until he gets back.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 10:57:14 pm »

^ Looking at this, I reckon that the removal of #10/11/12 might help. We don't want to create a rattle.

Offline ashley

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 11:07:14 pm »
So is the weakness 100% addressed by removing the tilt mech. Presumed the original issue is that the seats are liable to folding due to the seat having a joint and not deigned to be pulled in a different direction caused by a harness. Surely this isnt addressed by removing the adjustment? Unless the only issue is the mech releasing itself if the worse should happen.   

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 11:11:36 pm »
So is the weakness 100% addressed by removing the tilt mech. Presumed the original issue is that the seats are liable to folding due to the seat having a joint and not deigned to be pulled in a different direction caused by a harness. Surely this isnt addressed by removing the adjustment? Unless the only issue is the mech releasing itself if the worse should happen.   

I agree. That will do nothing to address the problem.  :smiley:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 11:18:06 pm »

....I'm inclined to think that any one-piece seat structure is likely to be safer than a folding one in the event of a crash. However, both these Recaro's and the GTI's oem folding seats (tilt back) are TUV approved and tested when used with a standard inertia safety belt which doesn't pass through any seat slots.

The potential problem occurs in the event of the belt straps (as on track harnesses) being fitted through the seat slots and then lifting under duress such that the tilt release is actioned then allowing the seat back to tilt/fold. This isn't guaranteed to happen but it would be a wise safety precaution to disable the tilt mechanism and leave the Recaro locked in an unfolded state.

We'll see what we can do and if successful I'll post a How-To.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 11:19:00 pm »

I agree. That will do nothing to address the problem.  :smiley:

....Am I missing something here? (see my Reply #13)