Make a donation

Author Topic: A1 wheels top notch  (Read 11122 times)

Offline mattyw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 3
A1 wheels top notch
« on: May 29, 2010, 11:15:15 pm »
i had my edition 30 wheels refurbed by a company in birmingham and when i got them back i was less than impressed,the finish was aweful, after they had blamed it on my wheels they refunded me i was that annoyed i felt like ordering a new set,but my mate who's a wheel salesman said he would have a word with A1,i went to see them and nigel was really sound and they leant me a spare set of wheels and i went and fetched them today and they are perfect nigel put them on the counter so i could examine the wheels as they had a lot of work to do on the wheels to sort out the mess the other place made by shotblasting the wheels,

Anyone who needs a set of wheels refurbing this is the place to go there not the cheapest but if you want a perfect job then this is where to go,i'm just really annoyed that the other place thought i would accept the job they did on them considering they claim to do porsche & ferrari wheels etc

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: A1 wheels top notch
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 12:47:22 am »
^^^^
You mention A1 and Nigel - Are you referring to A1 in Wolverhampton?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline mattyw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 01:37:10 am »
yes mate,i only live about 10 mile away from there

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 08:36:13 am »
Here's a link to my good experience of A1 Wolverhampton:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,726.0.html

A1 Wheel Renovation:

After hearing of their excellent reputation, I had planned on using Pristine in the Milton Keynes area. But, when I visited them, I found their customer service somewhat indifferent. In spite of many on this forum telling me I should get on and refurb my Monza's, it wasn't a priority over my cracked wastegate housing or failed KoniFSD's!

So it was when Nathan (Greenouse) posted his latest rims from A1 Wheel Renovation that I felt inspired and especially as their location in Wolverhampton was close to our first forum meet near Stafford - I could combine my journey and show off my new rims to everyone.

I phoned A1 (01902 871422) and asked for Nigel as Nathan had recommended. I was greeted by a friendly voice with a very heavy Black Country accent but he was the actual painter and clearly knew his trade and all about Monza's. So I booked myself in for the Wednesday lunchtime, folded my rear seats down and loaded my spare set of Monza 17's.

My SatNav ensured I had no problems finding A1's premises. On arrival I was somewhat surprised because it looked like the premises of a back street minicab firm of the sort where most of the drivers have just stepped off an aeroplane! The image in my brain was not dispelled when I saw nothing but Asians including a very friendly smiling Nigel. I couldn't help noticing that Nigel was wearing glasses with large GABBANA lettering on the sides - A bit bling for my own personal taste but each to their own. Access into their small backyard was extremely tight and so any thoughts of excuses and a quick escape were pointless. Anyway, Nathan had used these guys more than once.

While Steve swopped my 18's for the 17's I had brought, Nigel offered me a hot drink (nothing like that from Pristine!) and we started to discuss what shade etc I desired. Nigel and I quickly found that we were on exactly the same wavelength (except in choice of style of spectacles!)

We looked at some of his sample alloys and took a couple out to compare with my Monza's. It's all about lighting and how light falls on the shape of a wheel. Nigel explained why he couldn't paint a different colour on the 'inserts' (grey on the stock VW Monza 18) but that he would try and grade the Smoked Chrome silver over the black in those areas.

I am extremely pleased with the results and I have yet to see them in bright sunny weather when the car is clean - The roads are wet and very mucky at the moment. The Smoked Chrome is possibly better described as Gunmetal but the inserts can catch the light very brightly. They certainly don't show the dirt very easily.

Nigel phoned me on the Friday to tell me had finished my wheels in time for swopping back over on the Saturday morning on my way to the meet.

I have absolutely no hesitation in wholeheartedly recommending Nigel's family business A1 Minicabs A1 Wheel Renovation in Wolverhampton. They don't have a web site or email as yet.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline robern2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 09:54:19 am »
I've got my wife's CZT wheels booked in with them in 2 weeks time on the strength of the good work they did on Steve Ps pescaras.

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 03:20:34 pm »
I can also endorse them as they did a superb job on Mrs Choppers Polo GTI alloys. :happy2:

Mr Greenouthouse has also has some super stuff done by them too... :happy2:
Cheers,

Wayne

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 05:23:30 pm »
^^^^
Crikey, Wayne! Is that oem wheel arch clearance on that Polo!? And it's a GTI?

Greenouse was the one who recommended A1 to me  :happy2:

Offline ILoveTuna

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 05:29:02 pm »
They are only about 4 miles from me and my monzas desperatley need sorting.
Did someone mention they lend out spare wheels while they are refubing or do i need to source my own replacments?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 05:47:20 pm »

Did someone mention they lend out spare wheels while they are refubing or do i need to source my own replacments?

....If they have any spare which will fit. I was offered IIRC, but took my spare Monza 17's [still for sale!]

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 06:32:38 pm »
Yes Nigel and the boys are top notch and if you mention me and the forum they will look after you!  :wink:

Offline Moschops

• Thank You
  • -Given: 118
  • -Receive: 23
  • Edition 30 No 2275
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 09:13:55 pm »
^^^^
Crikey, Wayne! Is that oem wheel arch clearance on that Polo!? And it's a GTI?

Greenouse was the one who recommended A1 to me  :happy2:

Urm yes it is Robin....ace for getting your hands in for cleaning... :signLOL:
Cheers,

Wayne