Make a donation

Author Topic: Another oil leak  (Read 18344 times)

Offline Lyons

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
Another oil leak
« on: June 19, 2010, 06:54:52 pm »
Today while the car was parked on the street, i noticed an oil stain 20cm or so in diameter on the driveway.

While changing my wheels, i had a good look round the front and on the drivers side noticed a small build of oil sitting on top of the plastic cover which runs along under the car at the front, just at the back edge nearest the drivers front wheel.

I had a good feel around up at pipes and the belt etc but couldnt feel where the oil was deposited from.

I topped up a month or so ago as the oil level was low, but this was the first time theres been a leak.

My heart sank and i immediately thought "big bill".

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 450
Re: Another oil leak
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 08:00:56 pm »
Oil filter housing screwed in tight enough?
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Lyons

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 10:29:16 pm »
Dont know where it is, but wont do any harm to get the Haynes out and have a look.

The oil was changed 4000 miles ago, so would it not be a bit strange to start leaking at the filter now?

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 10:45:01 pm »
You might very well be suffering from the same issue as me. I also had oil gathering where you say and mine appears to be coming from a pipe on the intercooler. Worth a check?

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,15848.msg231625.html#msg231625

Offline Lyons

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 09:04:29 am »
I saw your thread boothy, but unless i missed it, i didnt see any oil actually on the intercooler pipe.

Also yours didnt have an actual deposit on the ground, which is what worried me most.

Though it would appear to be in the same region anyway.

Need to get it up on a ramp to check thoroughly.

Offline Lyons

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 01:46:02 pm »
No trace of any oil at all this morning?

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 07:50:28 pm »
The photo is the top of the intercooler pipe where it meets the throttle body. If you follow It down it ends up where you were your getting oil. The oil on mine was running down to the part you described which is why I thought it might me relevant mate. Although mine isn't enough to cause a patch on the floor. Hope you sort it anyway.

Offline Lyons

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 08:17:08 pm »
That could well be it then. Mine could even have been running for longer than yours, and hence the deposit. I know nothing about engines however, though when i was looking down from under the bonnet i couldnt see any trace of oil.

Although it hasnt leaked last night, id still rather get it checked out.

Someone on another forum i use said if its oil in the intercooler pipe the turbo seals have gone. Is this incorrect?

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 09:03:04 pm »
Now that I'm not sure about? I heard people on here mention that a certain amount of oil in the intercooler pipe is normal for a gti but I'm no mechanic. If you look under the hood and follow the intercooler pipe in the bottom right its bends round and joins plastic tube that's bolted to the engine. Behind this tube is a grove which nicely channeled oil from the pipe above it, down check back of the tube to hrs lowest point where it began to drip. I hope it ain't the turbo seals or I'm fooked! I ain't git the coin for that!
 Can anyone else shed any light on this?

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2010, 10:59:15 pm »
Don't turbo seals go if you put too much oil in...as the oil pressure can get too high?

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 08:59:38 pm »
i reckon it was aircon condensate.  Big leak, 20cm diameter, not to be able to find it as well!

Posted in June.

Offline Lyons

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 11:21:54 pm »
Hasn't done it since!

May have been air con, but the strange thing was the ground was stained, so it was more than water. However it washed off with ease!?

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2010, 01:09:17 am »
If it washed off easy then its not oil? If it was air con water then defo nothing to worry about, this usually comes out behind the drivers front wheel, and is common if you don't use the a/c frequently enough, condensation builds up in the system and then gets despersed from a pipe under the driver wheel arch.

Ther is 3 places oil comes out of 1) if the sump nut is not torqued up to the right spec, 2)leak from intercooler pipes 3)leak from egr valve.

Darren

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 05:43:35 pm »
Does a GTi have an EGR valve...?

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 10:41:55 pm »
Today while the car was parked on the street, i noticed an oil stain 20cm or so in diameter on the driveway.

While changing my wheels, i had a good look round the front and on the drivers side noticed a small build of oil sitting on top of the plastic cover which runs along under the car at the front, just at the back edge nearest the drivers front wheel.

I had a good feel around up at pipes and the belt etc but couldnt feel where the oil was deposited from.

I topped up a month or so ago as the oil level was low, but this was the first time theres been a leak.

My heart sank and i immediately thought "big bill".

If you are certain with your locations of where it leaked from - then drivers side wheel area usually means things like front crankshaft oil seal, or front camshaft oil seal.

Oil build up in the intercooler & associated pipwork is also a possibility, but this is doubtful, as (a) the pipework should all be sealed (if it isn't - then you'd be suffering from loss of engine performance due to boost loss), and (b) any oil which is collected in I/C & pipework is relatively insignificant - probably 1 or 2 tablespoons (15-30ml).

It could be the oil filter - especially if the car was parked slightly leaning to the right.  The drain valves on the bottom of the filter housing often weep, especially if the correct filter drain tool has not been used.  If you are able to remove the engine undertray (8 Tx25 screws), you can check the base of the oil filter housing - unscrew (by finger and thumb) the blanking cap (about 36mm diameter).  If there is any oil pooled inside, then that is your issue.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~