Make a donation

Author Topic: Factory window tints  (Read 5474 times)

Offline GOLDENBOY

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 3
Factory window tints
« on: August 16, 2010, 09:54:15 pm »
Im considering having the windows tinted on my  3 door steel grey gti, i like to know what percentage is best. I am after something like on 30edition,  just smoked no boy racer stuff!!!!anybody know what the percentage is? I only want back 3 windows tinting how much would i be looking at?
Candy white edition 30 / Revo stage 1 / Itg maxogen / xenons/ R32 brakes front/rear/ H&r springs / cruise/ open fogs/ Rns-510

Offline Syrag64

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Factory window tints
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 09:06:32 am »
I got a quote on my 5 door just back and sides £220 30% tint
Black 2007 GTI Manual, Stage 3 K04, R32 Bumper/Exhaust, WALK, adj rear ARB, KW1's, Twintercooler, Twintake, 18's (winters), 19's (summer) modified dectane LED rear lights, NQSBBK, Forge dump valve, Xenon look headlights with 5000k HID, 3" downpipe with sports cat, TT wishbones, uprated HPFP, Sach Uprated Clutch, Quaife LSD, VT & THS Engine Mounts.
To be fitted: Reverse Camera & uprated headunit.

Future plans: De-dent & Detail

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 09:35:58 am »
Legally in the UK you're only allowed to add tint to windows behind the B-pillars (only your back three in your case). Obviously the OEM glass with very pale tint is already legal.

IIRC, there are also legal limits to the %? [not sure]

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 09:50:02 am »
The legalities are:

Windscreen - Must let 75% of light through

Driver & Front passenger windows MUST let in at least 70% of light. Police carry a Machine that test light and if it doesn't come above that they will make you take it off there and then or impound the car. That is for the whole window as well. They test the top, middle & bottom of the glass so graduated tints are a no no.

From the B Pillar back - You can have as dark as you like.

This was information i was given when i looked into doing mine. But that was a couple of years ago so check to make sure it's still current. :happy2:

EDIT - Just found the legalities for you

Quote from:
Car Window Tinting Legal Requirements in the UK
Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA) Statement

The UK Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 Act details the legality of window tinting in the UK - and as amended specifies the minimum levels of light that must pass through the windscreen and front side windows.

For a legal window tint in the UK the specifications are:
a) Motor Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1985
b) The light transmitted through the windscreen must be at least 75%.
c) The front side windows (to either side of the drivers’ head) must allow at least 70% of light to be transmitted through them.

If the glass is tinted to a point whereby it lets through less light, the vehicle is breaking UK Window tinting law.

The consequences of illegally tinted windows!

If you are driving with less than legally required light transmitting through the windscreen and front side windows, the following could happen ;

a) You could be stopped and fined - you are effectively handing the police a 'reason' to stop your vehicle - the car could be impounded if it is considered dangerous to drive and/or could be given a prohobition order until removed!

b) You will be required to remove the film (which will cost) and present your car to the Police confirming it has been returned to a legal status.

c) If you have an accident and it can be proven that the reduced vision caused by the illegal film was a contributing factor, you are likely to get part or full blame - even if it was not under normal circumstances your fault!

d) Even worse - your insurer - if they stand to be in a position where they are looking at full acceptance of liability (as you were at fault) - may determine that your insurance is invalidated! and you will be looking at footing the costs on your own for your own vehicle and any other damage to third party vehicles or property.

In summary, it might look great - and you may get away with it - in the same way that there are plenty of motorists with illegal exhausts or number plates - but is it worth the risk? It would be difficult for an insurer to maintain that a 'dodgy' number plate contributed to an accident - but how easy would it be to claim that the reason you did not see the motorbike is because you had illegally tinted the window ?

Still not convinced ? Think we are making this up to scaremonger you ? Take a look at the examples of customers whose windows fell short of the law.... http://www.carkeys.co.uk/features/everything_else/2277.asp
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 09:56:45 am by vRS Carl »

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 01:53:07 pm »
Hi Goldenboy,

If you're anywhere near Southampton, I can recommend South Coast Tints.

I used them last week (for a mk4 golf), I was able to get 40% off in total so a very reasonable price. Job was well done too.  :happy2:

Just done a online quote for a 3dr mk5 golf (rear only), online price was £199.75, this includes a 10% online discount.
Testing my maths skills here... price without the 10% off must be around £220, 40% off that, makes it potentially around £132!

They had 3 levels of tint, light, medium, dark. He didn't say what % they were. He looked at the factory tinted windows on my ed30 and reckons it's between light and medium.

Apparently law has changed recently for front window tints, they cannot make them any darker, all they can do is put a UV film on the front windows which protects from UV obviously and gives them a bit of a shiny look... if you like that kind of thing...  :confused:
Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 03:20:28 pm »
The legalities are:

Windscreen - Must let 75% of light through

Driver & Front passenger windows MUST let in at least 70% of light. Police carry a Machine that test light and if it doesn't come above that they will make you take it off there and then or impound the car. That is for the whole window as well. They test the top, middle & bottom of the glass so graduated tints are a no no.

From the B Pillar back - You can have as dark as you like.

This was information i was given when i looked into doing mine. But that was a couple of years ago so check to make sure it's still current. :happy2:

EDIT - Just found the legalities for you

Quote from:
Car Window Tinting Legal Requirements in the UK
Vehicle & Operator Services Agency (VOSA) Statement

The UK Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 Act details the legality of window tinting in the UK - and as amended specifies the minimum levels of light that must pass through the windscreen and front side windows.

For a legal window tint in the UK the specifications are:
a) Motor Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1985
b) The light transmitted through the windscreen must be at least 75%.
c) The front side windows (to either side of the drivers’ head) must allow at least 70% of light to be transmitted through them.

If the glass is tinted to a point whereby it lets through less light, the vehicle is breaking UK Window tinting law.

The consequences of illegally tinted windows!

If you are driving with less than legally required light transmitting through the windscreen and front side windows, the following could happen ;

a) You could be stopped and fined - you are effectively handing the police a 'reason' to stop your vehicle - the car could be impounded if it is considered dangerous to drive and/or could be given a prohobition order until removed!

b) You will be required to remove the film (which will cost) and present your car to the Police confirming it has been returned to a legal status.

c) If you have an accident and it can be proven that the reduced vision caused by the illegal film was a contributing factor, you are likely to get part or full blame - even if it was not under normal circumstances your fault!

d) Even worse - your insurer - if they stand to be in a position where they are looking at full acceptance of liability (as you were at fault) - may determine that your insurance is invalidated! and you will be looking at footing the costs on your own for your own vehicle and any other damage to third party vehicles or property.

In summary, it might look great - and you may get away with it - in the same way that there are plenty of motorists with illegal exhausts or number plates - but is it worth the risk? It would be difficult for an insurer to maintain that a 'dodgy' number plate contributed to an accident - but how easy would it be to claim that the reason you did not see the motorbike is because you had illegally tinted the window ?

Still not convinced ? Think we are making this up to scaremonger you ? Take a look at the examples of customers whose windows fell short of the law.... http://www.carkeys.co.uk/features/everything_else/2277.asp

I believe the device is called a Lantern Carl  :happy2:

It's been seen on the many commercial television police programs about now and again.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Saint Steve

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 07:21:14 pm »
Hi Goldenboy,

If you're anywhere near Southampton, I can recommend South Coast Tints.

I used them last week (for a mk4 golf), I was able to get 40% off in total so a very reasonable price. Job was well done too.  :happy2:

Just done a online quote for a 3dr mk5 golf (rear only), online price was £199.75, this includes a 10% online discount.
Testing my maths skills here... price without the 10% off must be around £220, 40% off that, makes it potentially around £132!

They had 3 levels of tint, light, medium, dark. He didn't say what % they were. He looked at the factory tinted windows on my ed30 and reckons it's between light and medium.

Apparently law has changed recently for front window tints, they cannot make them any darker, all they can do is put a UV film on the front windows which protects from UV obviously and gives them a bit of a shiny look... if you like that kind of thing...  :confused:

Here is my old Bus Tinted by South coast tints with the front UV Tint Princess Mandy was referring too  :innocent:

Rears are Medium tint for Reference.

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 09:02:20 pm »
The one we use is called the 'tintman' device....sounds awful doesn't it.

If you want a local place to quote you for your tints there is one just after Trust VW on the Bilston Street, fo left onto the trading estate just by the bridge and the unit is right at the end in front of you, not sure of prices though,

Offline GOLDENBOY

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 09:21:14 pm »
Thanks guys for advise, im going to go get some quotes weekend,  for 30% tint which very light tint, (smoked) allows 70% light,   just back 3 windows.  Any darker asking the police to stop you and looks crap dark IMO!!! Somebody was saying to tint the car thay need to remove back window to do proper job takes agood 3hrs? sounds but much to me???  :stupid:
Candy white edition 30 / Revo stage 1 / Itg maxogen / xenons/ R32 brakes front/rear/ H&r springs / cruise/ open fogs/ Rns-510

Offline pat15312

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 10:34:05 am »
my cupra came with 30% on front and 70% on rear from the factory.
legally can't go any more on the front and won't bother with rear.
RESULT!
Audi S3 s-tronic (Week 46)
Phantom Black | Black styling pack | Titanium 18" alloys | LED headlights
Super sports seats | Bang & Olufsen | Advance key | Interior lighting pack
Technology pack | Audi Connect | Parking System Plus | Reverse Camera
AAC | Hold assist | Pre-sense | Headligh assist | Privacy glass | TPMS

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 01:01:15 pm »
^
I was going to comment Pat that if 70% is the legal minimum at the front, then that means surely you can tint the fronts up to 30% and be within the law?

Any pictures of yours? I'd like an even tint all round if I was going to have this done at all  :happy2:
Ta.
Pete

Offline GOLDENBOY

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 05:31:34 pm »
Any photos with somebody already  tinted there motors be great guys  :party:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 02:50:50 am »
if 70% is the legal minimum at the front, then that means surely you can tint the fronts up to 30% and be within the law.
But the windscreen is already tinted. Not sure to what level though.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline GOLDENBOY

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 08:59:40 pm »
I got the car tinted the weekend, after professional advise i went for 40% (medium) tinted back 3 windows looks quailty really happy with it, very lightly smoked just like 30 edition privacy tint!!! And at £150 well impressed, Many thanks to the lads at automotive tints in wolverhampton  :happy2: great service couldnt meet nicer lads even cleaned car before i picked it up!! If only vw dealers gave as good a service!!! :sad1:
I will get some pictures up on the weekend.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 05:25:41 pm »
if 70% is the legal minimum at the front, then that means surely you can tint the fronts up to 30% and be within the law.
But the windscreen is already tinted. Not sure to what level though.

Yeah - I wouldn't touch the WS, just the front windows  :smiley:
I've seen R32's with some kind of front OEM tint that looks darker than mine. That said it might just be the light in the photo  :laugh:
Pete