Make a donation

Author Topic: How To: Position and Fix a Front Numberplate....  (Read 15386 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
How To: Position and Fix a Front Numberplate....
« on: February 12, 2009, 08:55:55 pm »

I lost both my number plate and its mount while driving through the wilds of Wolverhampton. Hence providing me with the perfect excuse for ditching the mount and just sticking on the number plate. Like everyone else I much prefer the look of the GTI without a front plate but the good old UK has different laws about this than in the States. I reported my loss to the Police and was given a 'Get-Out-Of-Jail' piece of paper in case I was stopped. No time limit on it either but I prefer to maintain my good relationships with the Police and not to take the p!ss, so I wasn't going to continue like this for too long.

^ Looks great without a plate ^

My VW dealer supplied me with a new plate and even suggested the 'carbon-style' option. I kept it in the boot for a few weeks and then felt that although no Police anywhere had questioned my missing front plate it was time to be a good boy and stick it on.

The front of the GTI is curved and the sticky pads which the TTshop helped me out with were warned to be strictly immovable once any contact was made - But this same adhesive strength was going to be what keeps them on! (Unless perhaps if I ever visit Wolverhampton again). So I decided to make myself a template so I could position my new plate accurately.

I bought a length of plastic angle and sawed cuts in one side so it could bend : -

^ Basically I was making a 'shelf' to position the number plate in line with the bottom of the nose mask.

To be able to position the plate centrally I marked both the plate, front and back, and the plastic 'shelf' : -

To fit the angled lower grill I also marked and cut the uncut side of the plastic 'shelf' : -

It was now time to stick the double-sided sticky pads to the back of the number plate : -

The shelf was attached with masking tape and it was time to finish the job : -

JKM very kindly allowed me to use their rolling-road as a ramp so I wasn't crawling all over the floor : -

I never liked the fact that the oem mounted plate dropped below the mask and slightly in front of the lower honeycombe grill.

Personally I don't want to take any risks on the legality of my plates both in the UK and Europe.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 09:02:25 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
Re: How To: Position and Fix a Front Numberplate....
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 09:16:22 pm »
nice writeup Red  :happy2:
my tip in cold weather  is to get your loved ones hair drier out to warm the plate area , and let the plate sit on a radiator in the house for abit before applying to car  :happy2:
as you say you only get one chance at alignment :scared:
[plates too big as well lol]
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline vwrascal

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 28
  • If it aint rubbin you aint dubbin
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 09:23:19 pm »
Nice job   :happy2:, a true perfectionist (maybe a likkle OCD)   :laugh:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 09:36:07 pm »
^^^^
Yep, I'm defo a bit of a perfectionist in what I attempt. It's the result of being a pro graphic designer and art director for a few decades.

It's just something which would be so easy to get wrong or wonky and with enormous problems trying to then fix.

:happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 09:44:39 pm »
Nice one!

Maybe you could do one on car stickers? I've got a sticker for the rear view mirror (for the old site until I get one for this place) and need to position it properly (more so the dealers know where I visit).

Wanna do another walkthrough?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 10:00:27 pm »
^^^^
Yes, can do but I'm about to watch movie "The Sweetest Thing" on Ch5 now....

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 10:19:58 pm »
^^^^ I'd forgotten what a damn funny film that was  :signLOL:

Oh and nice write up as ever Mr Red  :happy2: Was also going to suggest the hairdryer method but Mr Smartypants beat me to it!  :P :grin:

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 05:20:33 am »
nice guide, for the temperature prolem couldn't people just remove the grill ?

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 10:21:05 am »
Reassuring to know that I'm in good company with my OCD attention to detail... Perhaps something to do with the fact that I'm a designer too?

Good work Robin, is did something similar when I stuck on my current plates.

Out of interest, does your level of attention to detail extend to buying your plates from the same dealership that the car came from?  :ashamed:
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 10:56:42 am »
nice guide, for the temperature problem couldn't people just remove the grill ?

....I don't understand "the temperature problem" - The plate was quite bendy and the sticky pads have super-strength instant contact adhesion.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 11:09:32 am »
Reassuring to know that I'm in good company with my OCD attention to detail... Perhaps something to do with the fact that I'm a designer too?

Good work Robin, is did something similar when I stuck on my current plates.

Out of interest, does your level of attention to detail extend to buying your plates from the same dealership that the car came from?  :ashamed:

....Yes, I'm sure that as designers we are hardwired into chasing perfection. Funny thing is though that I'm not fussed if my car's body panel gaps are uneven or my splitter gets chipped - Stuff like that.

Yes I got my plate from my dealership because I'd rather give them my business rather than some stranger. They look after me very well indeed (the plate was FOC). I think this was because I started off asking them if they could supply me an anti-theft self-destruct Wolverhampton-proof plate but they said it wouldn't have their name on it but they told me where I could get one. I said I'd have theirs instead and then when I went to pay they said don't worry about it. They know my car goes on show occasionally etc.

Either that or they feel sorry for the old git who is going through his second childhood driving fast cars!

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 10:40:00 pm »
nice guide, for the temperature problem couldn't people just remove the grill ?

....I don't understand "the temperature problem" - The plate was quite bendy and the sticky pads have super-strength instant contact adhesion.

I think they were going along the lines of 'we don't all have JKM's workshop to work in' and some of us mere mortals have to do these kind of jobs on the drive in the cold/wet!  :P :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 11:47:46 pm »
^^^^
Ah! Now I understand - Sorry!

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 08:35:24 pm »
Well it shows you that the search function really does its job! Great how-to Red :smiley: I was wondering about doin this too! I really dont like the plate mount thats on my car. Its not even black! Mine has a slight brown tint :sick:
Anyway i will deffo do this when i get new plates! I really itchin to get a private plate.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 08:45:21 pm »

Gosh! A bit of a surprise to see this thread revisited - Great if it helps someone - That's why we do it.

No problems with mine so many miles and months later.