Make a donation

Author Topic: Wheel hop crazy - front left  (Read 31859 times)

Offline SteveS

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 10
Re: Wheel hop crazy - front left
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2011, 07:26:43 pm »
OK, so an independent garage where i work did me a favor and took a look.
Its the exhaust... Miltec 3", where the cat is, its hitting down just behind where that bracked with those two red bits are. Can see the marks on the cat!!

I have contacted VWR, told them, im calling back next wednesday... and then booking it in... im guessing the shape of the bend isnt right...  :fighting:

Although thats the noise, why its moving around makes me think its down to hop, causing it to travel up and down...

SOLD!! :(
VW GTI Edition 30 No. 0551
Revo Stage2+ (LT) | Evoms Intake, K&N Filter | VWR LSD | Milltek R32 TBE | VWR Engine Mounts | VWR Big Front & S3 Rear Brakes | VWR Springs |  VWR Shortshift | SuperPro Bushes |  Recaro Seats

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #91 on: January 13, 2011, 07:31:04 pm »

OK, so an independent garage where i work did me a favor and took a look.
Its the exhaust... Miltec 3", where the cat is, its hitting down just behind where that bracked with those two red bits are. Can see the marks on the cat!!

I have contacted VWR, told them, im calling back next wednesday... and then booking it in... im guessing the shape of the bend isnt right...  :fighting:

....Ah yes! I know this problem (or similar). It's why Milltek included a free torque arm insert in their new systems. They have probably revised the fixings too. However, a lower engine mount should have helped but it may have been on the way out before installation.

It's not so much the exhaust itself but the jolting from the extra power it's being subjected to on a remapped car.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 07:32:54 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline SteveS

• Thank You
« Reply #92 on: January 13, 2011, 07:37:27 pm »
Even worse! its a known issue and VWR still didnt even check it obviously.
Had a good look under it, why its designed so close to the left\bottom side wall is very odd. there is masses of space to the right and up!

Revo Stage2+ (LT) | Evoms Intake, K&N Filter | VWR LSD | Milltek R32 TBE | VWR Engine Mounts | VWR Big Front & S3 Rear Brakes | VWR Springs |  VWR Shortshift | SuperPro Bushes |  Recaro Seats

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: January 13, 2011, 07:45:36 pm »
Should have gone blueflame  :booty:  :signLOL: let's hope it gets sorted mate

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Saint Steve

« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2011, 07:53:13 pm »
I'd ask the previous keeper of the vehicle where he got the exhaust from.Doubt it's the shape of the bend.

Was the exhaust a 2nd hander, supplied by vwr? Or do you have a receipt where it came from originally?

« Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 07:57:56 pm by Saint Steve »

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2011, 07:54:20 pm »
Send bmx a pm as he was owner number 1

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2011, 08:02:18 pm »
The plot thickens  :popcornsoda:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline SteveS

• Thank You
« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2011, 08:09:11 pm »
As far as im aware and Matt at VWR didnt argue, they supplied and fitted it. He seems silling to help which is great, as long as its efficient.

Has blueflame on my last, did love it, maybe alittle louder than i wanted and wasnt R32 style :)

Offline keano

• Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: January 14, 2011, 10:26:53 am »
Glad the issue is sorted.  :happy2:

Although this was one of the most intruiging reads on the forum! It was like Midsummer Murder!  :grin:

Offline SteveS

• Thank You
« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2011, 10:37:58 am »
haha, indeed.
Although not sorted as yet! hoping soon! however the excessive movement is probably an issue somewhere else too

johnnyp

« Reply #100 on: January 14, 2011, 11:31:02 pm »
To be fair with that much power and havin used standard engine mounts besides the lower one,something had to give. i had the same probelm on my car and the engine movement was excessive and caused exhaust knock.maybe it needs readjusting? replacing the engine mounts was a good shout first i think and it would have had to been done sooner or later.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2011, 03:42:21 pm »

To be fair with that much power and havin used standard engine mounts besides the lower one,something had to give. i had the same probelm on my car and the engine movement was excessive and caused exhaust knock.maybe it needs readjusting? replacing the engine mounts was a good shout first i think and it would have had to been done sooner or later.

....I agree  :happy2:

And a Warm Welcome to the forum, Johnny  :drinking:

Offline SteveS

• Thank You
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2011, 11:04:53 pm »
....Ah yes! I know this problem (or similar). It's why Milltek included a free torque arm insert in their new systems. They have probably revised the fixings too. However, a lower engine mount should have helped but it may have been on the way out before installation.

It's not so much the exhaust itself but the jolting from the extra power it's being subjected to on a remapped car.

Any links i can read about this?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2011, 11:13:27 pm »

Any links i can read about this?

....No links that I'm aware of. I've had detailed discussions with Milltek's boss man about it and also their factory manager. You might find something on Milltek's web site though.

Offline SteveS

• Thank You
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2011, 11:15:59 pm »
Boss man being Phil? or am i wrong there