Make a donation

Author Topic: Drinking Oil  (Read 7188 times)

Offline Blake-R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Drinking Oil
« on: October 30, 2010, 12:55:29 am »
Just after some advice, my car seems to be drinking oil pretty quickly. I've topped it up quite a few times since owning the car and my top up light has just come on again after having the car serviced only 2 months ago, which including a full oil change! This just seems way to soon? I don't drive the car hard at all, every now and again I will give it a good blast but that's like once a week at most. My old type R didn't even drink oil like this.

Does this sound right?

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
Re: Drinking Oil
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 01:57:02 am »
when i 1st got mine it was using 1litre every 800miles!

vw say anything more than a litre in 600miles is an issue!

My car has started behaving recently though!

+ i wouldn't wait for that light to come on! its not good for the car, check it every week.

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 06:07:43 am »
Not helpfull i know but i neer had to top the Edition 30 up

Offline LouCyffer

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 63
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 07:08:09 am »
Mine uses a litre ever 2500miles. As Edd says, as long as it's less consumption than one litre per 600 miles that's normal.  :rolleye:
Black 2008 5 door GTI. Leather, DSG, ipod prep, 18" Monzas. Retrofitted: Cruise, PDC, RNS510, 729 Skoda Bluetooth (thanks SteveP), MFSW buttons (thanks MortyGTTDi), Armrest & vents, covered cupholder, Highline (thanks Kalu), Polar FIS+ (thanks Richn), Reversing camera (thanks MortyGTTDi)

Offline xxx_mojo_xxx

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 19
  • MUBster DUBster
    • Project MUBster DUBster Evolution
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 08:29:16 am »
I have to top mine with a litre every so often.  I don't mind as it's fresh oil with the cleaning agents...

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 08:43:10 am »
Don't top it right up, as long as it is between the max and min it's fine.  Keep an eye on it.

I've owned several TFSi engines now and I find that if you top them right up they will burn it off until they find a level and then it stays there.  Keep topping up and it'll keep burning it.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 04:21:31 pm »
@Blake-R - we need to know a few specifics about your car.  How old, how many miles, what oil is used in it, and what service regime is it on?

Don't top it right up, as long as it is between the max and min it's fine.
I can't really agree with that.  OK, your method may be fine for trundling up and down straightish roads, but if you are inclined in giving it the beans in the twisties, then endeavoring to keep it topped up to the max is strongly advised.

Keep an eye on it.
Now that - I DO agree with. :happy2:

I've owned several TFSi engines now and I find that if you top them right up they will burn it off until they find a level and then it stays there.  Keep topping up and it'll keep burning it.
The reason the TSFI engines burn oil (along with other engines) is simply that they are not yet (or have not) been correctly run in.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline martziniuk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 04:56:33 pm »
@Blake-R - we need to know a few specifics about your car.  How old, how many miles, what oil is used in it, and what service regime is it on?

I can't really agree with that.  OK, your method may be fine for trundling up and down straightish roads, but if you are inclined in giving it the beans in the twisties, then endeavoring to keep it topped up to the max is strongly advised.

Keep an eye on it.

The reason the TSFI engines burn oil (along with other engines) is simply that they are not yet (or have not) been correctly run in.
It just seems strange that this engine in particular burns a lot of oil when for example I have hardly ever heard of oil being burnt on the old 1.8T 20v engines.
Mk2 Octavia vRS with K04 conversion, 3"TBE & Decat, APR HPFP, BDM Intake, S3 I/C, Sachs clutch & Unicorn custom map, S3 brakes, AP coilovers, THS mounts.

B8.5 Audi S4 with uprated pulley and unicorn Stage 2

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 05:01:41 pm »
doesn't help the OP, but I've had 3 TFSI engine'd cars and none of them has ever used any oil, maybe its my driving style :smiley:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 05:37:44 pm »

Keep an eye on it.

It just seems strange that this engine in particular burns a lot of oil when for example I have hardly ever heard of oil being burnt on the old 1.8T 20v engines.
Many 'latest specification' designed engines use a lot of oil until run in.  The reason for this is simply down to the way the cylinder bores are honed.  Whilst the FSI engines share the same fundamental block as the 1.8 20vT engines - the honeing processes are quite different.  Its even worse on alloy blocks, especially with 'cold-blasted etched honing' - my last S4 took 13k miles before the oil consumption dropped to next to nothing.
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 05:38:29 pm »
doesn't help the OP, but I've had 3 TFSI engine'd cars and none of them has ever used any oil, maybe its my driving style :smiley:
Drive it like you stole it, eh? :grin:
------

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 05:54:41 pm »
Mine used a litre in the first 15,000 miles, nothing from 15-30k, and then half a litre from 30-40k and for the past 5k it hasn't used a drop. The oil on the 30-40k service was obviously not liked? Was certainly supposed to be castrol edge long life oil, maybe they used the none longlife oil and charged me for the good stuff?

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 06:05:47 pm »
Drive it like you stole it, eh? :grin:

not all the time, but always warmed up and run-down :happy2:

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 06:27:40 pm »
I presume its also worth checking the PCV function.
Mine doesnt use any oil either, although I didnt hang about running it in, like gaz,  caution when cold but use it as intended when warm  :happy2:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline Blake-R

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 06:30:57 pm »
Thanks for all the replies guys. Ok few things that may help, the car has done around 32k miles so easily run in, it's a 57 plate, oil used is castrol edge long life, and it's last service was at 30k, think that's the third service? Like gazbuts3 I always warm the car up for a good 10-15 minutes before I give it a boot, that's if I do that is and also run the car down too. I topped it up with a litre today so gonna keep a good eye on it.

Cheers for the help  :happy2: