Make a donation

Author Topic: Nankang Snow SV-2 - First Impressions  (Read 73522 times)

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
Nankang Snow SV-2 - First Impressions
« on: November 30, 2010, 08:00:03 pm »
Although I've only had these tyres fitted for half a day, I thought it might be useful for people who are trying to justify investing in a set of cold weather tyres for their car.

Why?
The winter weather in the UK seems to be getting worse year on year. I personally love snow, however I don't want it to rule my life. Previous snowy spells have meant I was reluctant to use my car, which in turn has impacted on my work and social life. I see my car as a tool, and it's attractiveness comes from it's ability to handle anything I throw at it, be it chauffeuring myself and three friends from one end of the country to the other, or providing the thrills on a back road thrash. The profile of winter, or cold weather tyres has been raised significantly in the past year or two, both in the media, and on forums like this, and as I now have a spare set of wheels I decided to have them fitted with a pair of tyres more suitable to colder temperatures.

My plan is to run them from late November to the end of March, weather permitting. With the mileage I do I hope to get 4 or 5 winters out of them, so a sound investment I think.

Which tyre?
Having used, and been impressed by Vredestein tyres in the past my aim was to buy the Wintrac tyre, however at nearly £170 per corner the cost was prohibitive. Although I hadn't heard of the brand, the Nankang Snow SV-2 tyre seemed to review very well on several sites. As the cost was reasonable I decided to purchase them.

Cost
I ordered from Mytyres at a cost of £78 per tyre (225/45 R17 94V XL), including fitting which was carried out in their usual professional manner by IDS Mobile Tyre Fitters. I should note that 2 days following my order these tyres had rocketed to £136 per tyre. That's supply and demand!

Any good?
It's been said before, but the difference between summer tyres and winter tyres in cold, wet conditions is night and day. Having spent the past few days tiptoeing around on 18" Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas I was in a good position to judge exactly how different they are, over a variety of different conditions, including fresh powdery snow, hard packed snow, and wet slush. On several occasions I attempted to break traction and trigger the ESP, which proved very difficult indeed. In fact grip and breaking in all conditions was incredible, and the noise levels are not noticeably different to the Ultrac Sessantas. In an effort to see exactly how good they are I attempted a steep hill near my house that is very rarely used by other cars in the snow, and is not gritted. The car sailed up as if there was no snow at all.

So at this point I have nothing negative to say about them. If you're apprehensive about using your car in the snow I'd urge you to try them. I hope to update this review when I'd have the chance to drive them in drier conditions also.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 01:45:19 pm by andrewparker »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Nankang Snow SV-2 - First Impressions
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 08:26:30 pm »
Great idea to write a review on these winter tyres.  :drinking:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline icenutter

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 09:00:20 pm »
Thanks for the review, winter tyres really are amazing; I've got a set of Vredestein Snowtracs on my winter wheels that make life so much easier when it gets colder - no need to pussyfoot around.
Get all your sports nutrition products here; http://www.myprotein.co.uk and use the code MP73153 to get 5% off your first order.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 09:46:52 pm »
Sound pointers and review Andrew  :happy2:

Looking at costs, is it fair to say these are well priced Winter tyres too?
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 10:06:47 pm »
Sound pointers and review Andrew  :happy2:

Looking at costs, is it fair to say these are well priced Winter tyres too?

Thanks Pete. I think at the price I paid you can't really argue, however right at this moment prices have gone through the roof. If you wanted a tyre from one of the premium brands you wouldn't get much change from £200 per tyre.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 10:42:54 pm »
ive had these fitted today as well.  very good tyre IMO, and thats considering for the last 9 years ive been using either vredestein snowtrac and wintrac winter tyres which are widely considered the best winter tyres.

the biggest gain i have noticed is before, on the snow if i tapped the brakes they locked up instantly, obvioulsy not a good trait to have, now you can really brake hard and they wont skid unless you really mash the brake pedal hard.

the only frustrating thing about winter tyres is others who dont have them blocking your way and really slowing you down

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 10:48:36 pm »
nice one andrew :happy2:
we need tread pics, noise and treadwear estimates as well as what pressures youre running them at  :happy2:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline conneem

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2010, 12:25:49 am »
Thanks for the review  :happy2:

I'm considering getting a winter wheel/tyre setup but I have left it a bit late and tyre selection/stocks are getting smaller by the day.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 12:17:04 pm »
It's almost becoming a game finding the steepest, most snow covered hill, and driving up it with no problem whatsoever. I'm managing far better than some 4x4 vehicles I've seen.

I'll get some tread photos up as soon as the weather is more amicable. As far as noise is concerned, it's not noticeably different to any other tyre I've driven.

Offline RobH

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 9
  • Revo stg 2+
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 10:30:00 pm »
I was gonna get these this weekend but since mytyres doubled the price they can :angry015:

maybe next year ill see what the fuss is about :grin:

Good review though :happy2:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 10:37:38 pm »
I might be wrong here, but I'm guessing Mytyres are heavily effected by the main distributers and manufacturers. I doubt the inflation in the cost is solely down to them.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2010, 10:45:34 pm »
...I'm managing far better than some 4x4 vehicles I've seen...

That in itself is a good result AP  :congrats:
I might have to invest in some of these once I've price hunted.

Are you going to keep them in any particular conditions till next winter once you've put your everyday tyres back on?
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 12:24:32 pm »

My plan is to run them from late November to the end of March, weather permitting. With the mileage I do I hope to get 4 or 5 winters out of them, so a sound investment I think.

....Good thinking and great pic that! I'd bung it in your first post.  :happy2:

Do you know if they supply these tyres in 18's? I'm thinking that it might be an excuse to use my powdercoated Monza 18's from November til March, although I never venture out in the snow anyway.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2010, 12:55:33 pm »
Nice one on the review.

I am getting my Vredestein Wintrac Extremes delivered tomorrow for the 330i, so this really will be the big test. At the moment on it's summer tyres, the car is completely useless in the snow and slush (still great in the wet though) and can't move on any kind of incline. I'll be posting a review in a few days after I've had the chance to test them  :happy2:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2010, 12:57:24 pm »
Cheers Robin. They do the SV-1 Winter Plus in 225/40 R18 92V XL. I'm not sure of the differences over the SV-2 that I have.

I drove straight up a hill last night, and past a Freelander that had got itself into a little bother. It was a laugh out loud moment...... then I realised I should have probably helped them out :ashamed: