Make a donation

Author Topic: new ed 30 owner  (Read 1467 times)

Offline ttdan

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
new ed 30 owner
« on: December 21, 2010, 10:38:04 pm »
Hi All,

Had my ed30 about 2 weeks now. Retired my '91 mk2 to the garage and was looking for a daily driver that had some character and I think I've found a really competent car in the mk5 gti.

Just wanted to say hello and that the forum provided me with some good info whilst lurking. VW have no idea how influential the peer network can  be!
My car is a '57 plate 5 door manual in black, looking forward to a few mods as soon as the weather picks up a little.

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: new ed 30 owner
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 10:45:05 pm »
Hi and welcome.

Must put up pics! I have the same - 57-plate ED30 5dr in black. Looks awesome. Was yours poverty spec or does it have any extras?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline ttdan

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 11:22:36 pm »
It has the rns510 but I'm pretty sure that was added later, nice bit of kit all the same.

err, not sure what the factory extras where but I think folding mirrors and xenons are the only extras.

Bit miffed re fuel consumption, can't get over 30 yet but that could be me exploring the available torque! But I am not sure what to expect on that front anyway.

Here's a phone pic with my snow socks on!

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2010, 12:04:41 am »
Do those socks work ok?.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2010, 08:50:00 am »
I have a set of the autosocks too and then work brilliantly, they are only really meant for snow and ice driving so getting you to the main gritted road as they will wear out quickly on tarmac, but I quite happily drove up a hill on fresh snow saturday morning without a single traction light flash.

Nice looking car BTW and welcome, I cant see your reg for snow but if yours is one of the later ED30's then the RNS could well be factory fitment as they replaced the MFD2 on the option list late in the MK5's life!  :happy2:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline ttdan

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2010, 09:19:32 pm »
yes the socks work really well!

They are designed to get you out of trouble, not a substitute for winter tyres but as previous poster said they are to get you to the gritted road. On snow they are amazingly good for grip. Keep some in the boot and at least you'll probably get home  :happy2:

Car is a '57 plate MY08 but I have the dealer original invoice and no mention of the RNS as an option ?? so am assuming retrofit at some point. Sounds ok too so maybe the speakers were done too? not sure how to tell.

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 11:48:05 am »
Welcome along mate,
What mods have you got in mind? Performance or cosmetic, or a bit of both?

Offline ttdan

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 07:47:45 pm »
POWER!

actually I like the way it looks, but I quite fancy some more poke, seems a bit laggy but I am used to n/a cars. The only other thing would be a possible suspension change as it seems to crash bang wallop a bit over anything rough. Something adjustable? I need a bit more time with it on decent dry roads to know what I'd don't like about the ride tho' I think.

Offline searly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 10:39:34 pm »
Hi Mate > welcome , but you do know , spending too long on this site , will cost you lots of monies in the end .  Good choice of car and colour and hope you get as much enjoyment in driving the car as I still get.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 11:02:25 am »
Welcome fella!  :drinking:

The roof aerial will tell you if the RNS was retro fitted or not, if it's a shark fin type it was factory!  :happy2: