Make a donation

Author Topic: S3/R32 Brake Upgrade  (Read 45747 times)

Offline flyboy1976

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 15
Re: S3/R32 Brake Upgrade
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2011, 02:20:40 pm »
no worries dude! ive just done my fronts, did you get the full S3 set off ebay and pay £453.00 for them? if so you were bidding against me, ask stokeballoon about the rears as he has done the conversion so did stevie P iirc. see pics of before and after (fronts)

Standard Gti/Edition 30 Fronts 312mm

R32/S3/Cupra R Fronts 345mm
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 08:15:22 pm by flyboy1976 »

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2011, 04:56:14 pm »
No mate, got some R20 ones. Didn't see the S3 ones on the bay. Are you just changing the fronts on yours? Did u do it yourself?

Offline scooba

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2011, 05:06:50 pm »
no worries dude! ive just done my fronts, did you get the full S3 set off ebay and pay £453.00 for them? if so you were bidding against me, ask stokeballoon about the rears as he has done the conversion so did stevie P iirc. see pics of before and after (fronts)
Standard Gti/Edition 30 Fronts 312mm

R32/S3/Cupra R Fronts 345mm

NICE !   

Offline flyboy1976

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2011, 05:48:24 pm »
Cheers fellas, yeah done mine today, sorry i meant R20 they were advertised as having 3884 miles on them, i was bidding on a full front and rear set on ebay but got outbid (it was you wasnt it lol) btw all my mods i do myself (S3 intercooler/Twintercooler/RS4 valve/ Twintake/HPFP/Miiltek TBE/Forge Breather/ Foge dump valve/Modified oem engine cover/S3 Brakes etc) I have limited tools and space and NO training  :driver:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 05:55:26 pm by flyboy1976 »

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2011, 06:23:13 pm »
^^^^
It probably was me then  :signLOL: Great job you've done there matey, I'm too scared to work on my car  :scared:
Plus, I'm nowhere near competent enough  :laugh:

Offline flyboy1976

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2011, 06:36:24 pm »
ahhh its not so bad, i refuse to pay anyone other than my old bud mark shead of madevelopments but he dont do VW's.....well known tuner though, ive know him for 15 years! ive done my own rns/mdi/bluetooth install with voice activation and coded it as well (and some of the guys on here will always help especially vrs stu and vrscarl and not to forget mortygttdi and sadly cameluk who has gone AWOL

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2011, 10:09:51 am »
Spoke to Midland VW and they've said new handbrake cables are needed (these were not included) as the current ones will have too much play if reused and standard rear dust shields look a mess if 'tweaked'.
They said the same thing to me. Had a chat with Jody and picked his brains about different things. With respect to brakes, he was of the opinion only the fronts needed to be upgraded and that if I did the rear, the dust shields would need to come off, and the handbrake cable would need to be replaced, necessitating more work.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2011, 11:19:50 am »
Spoke to Midland VW and they've said new handbrake cables are needed (these were not included) as the current ones will have too much play if reused and standard rear dust shields look a mess if 'tweaked'.
They said the same thing to me. Had a chat with Jody and picked his brains about different things. With respect to brakes, he was of the opinion only the fronts needed to be upgraded and that if I did the rear, the dust shields would need to come off, and the handbrake cable would need to be replaced, necessitating more work.

That's exactly what he said to me. But Stokebaloon on here has done the upgrade himself a few times and doesn't agree with this. I'm confused  :confused:

Do you know anyone else in nearby who I can go to? Did you get yours done? I know the front should be enough but I thought it better to do the whole lot for more even and better braking.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2011, 11:53:59 am »
No I haven't done anything with the brakes. I was just inquiring at the time. Can't afford the £1500+ for brakes and installation yet!   :sad1:

I don't know anyone else local. VWR/TTShop/BDM are all in Milton Keynes. I'm surprised there aren't any similar garages around Birmingham.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2011, 12:13:50 pm »
^^^^^
Yes, so am I. I might try calling R-Tech when I get a chance and see what they say  :happy2:

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2011, 12:24:38 pm »
I've also had the rears done, absolutely no need for new dustshields and handbrakecables. Just another urban legend from people that only know theory  :fighting:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline swf7y

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2011, 02:04:48 pm »
Well I called R-Tech and they don't do the upgrade  :popcornsoda:

I've also had the rears done, absolutely no need for new dustshields and handbrakecables. Just another urban legend from people that only know theory  :fighting:

Danish, how did you modify the current dust shields?

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2011, 02:18:21 pm »
just a quickie, re the r32 brakes versus the porsche (brembo) brakes, the porsche brakes = lighter, use std disks, therefore cheaper consumables, much better feel, better clamping force (4 pistons versus 1) and IMHO look better (this is subjective though), the r32 brakes better heat dissapation as bigger disc.

I went with the porcshe set up, but I don't do lots of heavy duty track work, necessitating the greater heat resistance, if I did I would prob have gone for the R32, otherwise for street and moderate track the porsche are much better IMHO (for the reasons stated above)

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2011, 02:46:13 pm »
Sounds like a good Mod, are the S3 and R32 brakes alot better than the standard GTI brakes?

Ash

Oh yes. A bit like comparing Milla Jovovich to Hilda Ogden.  :laugh:

Milla is alright i suppose but Hilda Ogden is  :drool: :drool: :drool:

Can't beat a bit of GILF  :evilgrin:

I think you mean CILF..............as in Corpse, she is dead afer all! :laugh:

Wrong! Hilda Ogden moved away from Corrie Street, she didn't die. Jean Alexander is still alive, too.  :smiley:

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2011, 03:30:03 pm »
Well I called R-Tech and they don't do the upgrade  :popcornsoda:

Danish, how did you modify the current dust shields?

just pressed them slightly inwards under the car, works a treat   :smiley:

Over the top mod list ;o)