Make a donation

Author Topic: Vacuum Line > Boost Gauge....  (Read 3052 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Vacuum Line > Boost Gauge....
« on: January 16, 2011, 02:46:10 pm »
I was asked by Damien where my vac line was routed through the bulkhead into the cabin and thought I'd share the info and so others might add anything useful.

Being very much a 'girl' when it comes to any DIY on my car, mine was all handed over to do by JKM and they have routed it, sensibly I feel, with an existing cable rather than drill a new hole. Don't ask me how they actually did it because I don't have a clue.

Sorry that the pics aren't great but small compact cameras have their limitations and it started to rain when I eventually got out there this morning!

^ Vac line is the thin upper left and dives in by my finger.

^ A slightly sharper pic except that the camera flash has created a shadow across the entry point!

Hope this helps anyone as well as Damo and obviously any additional info posted will be appreciated by all.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline damoegan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
Re: Vacuum Line > Boost Gauge....
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 02:52:57 pm »
Thanks Robin, just need to find where it goes into the cabin now  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 02:56:03 pm »
^
I don't fancy taking apart my dashboard or steering column for you! Sorry  :smiley: - Only because I'm not capable of putting it back together again!!

'Sausage Fingers' SteveP has that kind of expertise   :grin:
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 03:15:55 pm by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline paulgrant

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 10:47:42 am »
very handy to know thanks

Offline damoegan

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 06:02:57 pm »
After finding it hard to find a place to get my vac line into the cabin from the same point as Robin'd (I'm using 4mm ID silicone hose so its a lit bigger) I found a better place to feed it into the cabin.

If you remove the battery there is a very large grommet behind it that a viring loom goes through, I cut off a little nipple on the gromet and fed a welding rod through. Then I removed the under tray under the glove box (just 2 thumb screws to take off) and there was the welding rod. Taped the vac line to the other side and pulled it through into the cabin.

Fitted the vac take off nipple to the forge DV pipe and conected vac line to it, cable tied the vac line out of the way of any moving parts.

Back in side, in the pasenger footwell there is a torx screw holding the plastic trim onto the side of the  centre console down by your right foot, remove that and the panel will just pull out of your way. This now gives you access to feed the vac line through to the drivers side footwell. You can then feed it up to the back of the gauge (or pressure sensor if you have a electrical gauge like me).

Job done  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 06:23:46 pm »
Glad you sorted it, Damo  :happy2:

So that's my old gauge vent in the pics  :smiley: - Glad it found a good home.

Offline damoegan

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2011, 06:34:51 pm »
Yep, all sorted Robin, thanks for taking the time to take a look and take some pics  :happy2:

Yea, thats your old gauge pod mate  :jumping: