Make a donation

Author Topic: Is there anyone has gone Stg2/2+ and wished they had not?  (Read 19120 times)

Offline martziniuk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Re: Is there anyone has gone Stg2/2+ and wished they had not?
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 07:42:41 pm »
Tbh I am addicted to the mid range pull of stage 3 (stage 2+), it is so addictive and I could not imagine going back to stage 1, However I do worry about the fuel pump and had I had the money would have gone for the APR pump.
My clutch went on stage 1 so the replacement Sachs clutch is up to the job of stage 3. I am currently on 100k with no problems so far lol.
Mk2 Octavia vRS with K04 conversion, 3"TBE & Decat, APR HPFP, BDM Intake, S3 I/C, Sachs clutch & Unicorn custom map, S3 brakes, AP coilovers, THS mounts.

B8.5 Audi S4 with uprated pulley and unicorn Stage 2

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 08:02:22 pm »
Car new April 08 -
- Week later was Revo Stage 1 + Milly TBE
- Few months later went Stage 2
- 50k done then HPFP, Intake and Stage 2+ added
- Now sat on 78k and not a mechanical fault to be reported

This is with easily 100+ 1/4 mile runs whilst modded and all on long life service intervals (20k)..
I appreciate that most on here have been worried about the odd engine and fuel pump seal failure and aren't willing to take what they think is a gamble with thier pride and joy (don't blame them tbh). BUT that doesn't necessarily mean that Stage 2+ is on the brink of going boom!!! IMO, it's far from it..
That being said, it's not for everyone and can be a bit  :driver:. Plus Stage 2 is by no means slouchy  :surprised: But whatever tune you do decide on, I would definitely add the HPFP, as the midrange is epic..  :happy2:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 08:04:35 pm by Sunglasses Ron »

Offline theo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 08:13:56 pm »
I bought my car in April 10 and at that point had already decided exactly the way I was going with the mods. Within 2 months the car went off to VWR for a stock to stage 2+ conversion. Best £X,000 i spent. Nothing like gaining over 100hp in one session!

At the start of this year, I was contemplating going back to stage 2, then took the car for a spirited drive again and completely changed my mind.  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 09:25:54 pm »
i think stage 2+ might actually be to much for a car now in hindsight.

however i really value the midrange of the HPFP.

So i think a stage 1 remap, HPFP, and intake would be the best choice of modifications for me.  id bet that would be similar to stage 2 peak figures, but with better mid range whihc is more usable in everyday life.  plus it save you spending 1100 on a TBE

....A Milltek TBE was my very first mod and I only did it originally for the noiz (as VC very aptly spells it).

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 09:29:40 pm »

I am currently on 100k with no problems so far lol.

....That's music to my ears!  :pomppomp: :pomppomp: :pomppomp: :star:

I'm only a K03 GTI on Revo2 and 92k miles but it's good to hear.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline martziniuk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 10:07:24 pm »

I am currently on 100k with no problems so far lol.

....That's music to my ears!  :pomppomp: :pomppomp: :pomppomp: :star:

I'm only a K03 GTI on Revo2 and 92k miles but it's good to hear.
I maybe should have pointed out I've only had stage 3 for about 600 miles lol but I think it's the original turbo.
Mk2 Octavia vRS with K04 conversion, 3"TBE & Decat, APR HPFP, BDM Intake, S3 I/C, Sachs clutch & Unicorn custom map, S3 brakes, AP coilovers, THS mounts.

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 10:11:53 pm »
Could you elaborate on what hardware and software comprise DNA stage 3?
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline martziniuk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 10:26:50 pm »
Could you elaborate on what hardware and software comprise DNA stage 3?

The usual hardware as for stage 2+.

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 11:48:47 pm »
So can anyone elaborate why stage 2+ is potentially far riskier than stg 2? Does the software push the engine components closer to dangerous levels that the ECU may not appreciate?

I thought Revo was tested to such an extent that you were still operating well within the safety parameters so if you service everything at shorter intervals why is 2+ seen as a gamble?  :confused:
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2011, 12:44:39 am »
first of all, youre running 130bar of fuel pressure instead of 110bar.
secondly revo runs 1500mb of boost, stage 2 is about 1100-1300mb.
my PDT stage 2 is about 310bhp and 290lbsft of torque, my stage 2+ revo was 350bhp and 370lbs of torque. all this is obviously going to stress the components more, but havent heard of that many engines going bang, and like myself, youre not going to have your foot planted to the floor all the time you drive your car, so I'm not that worried about it to be honest. Bens car is an example of the reliability.
Its your choice at the end of the day. But its a slippery slope, so no doubt you'll eventually end up at stage 2+ anyway...... :popcornsoda:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2011, 01:04:14 am »

Thanks guys, I think then after listening to Greeners and Carrera; stage 2 would be a good option as I note people like RR have stopped at this level too and like Greeners I would like to keep the car and not risk mechanical failure of key components.

....It's a hard fact that the more you push the performance envelope the more you risk reliability. That's fine as long as someone understands that and accepts it. Personally, I think that handling and 'lsd' mods are more important than a Stage2+ but ETTO of course.

I would agree robin. I cant really see any situation where you will need 350bhp on a road car, and lets face it, unless you've also got a LSD youll struggle to use that power anyway.  If you made a 280bhp GTI handle 'epically'  you'll almost certainly have more fun in it, than chasing bhp figures.

Saint Steve

« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2011, 07:47:30 am »
Not so much engines going bang heavyd, more so turbo's blowing , breaking of blades in the turbo, and being blasted into the engine causing failure.

The engine overtime WILL at some stage give some form of stress failure, as it wasnt built to withstand these extra strains.

You are simply kidding yourself if you think that it will cope with all the additional power and torque, at some stage it will result in some sort of failure, whether it's tomorrow, or its much later in the cars life, hopefully when your not the owner of the car still.

My thoughts might not been agreed by all, but i feel, if you plan to keep your car, like Greeners has already said, the last thing I'd ever do is max the car out for little more benefit.
I sometimes worry about running stage 2, but I try to warm up and warm down the car when I use it.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2011, 08:35:25 am »
Balance is key if you ask me hence why I won't go 2+ the power on 2 is great but the car needs to be able to put the power down and go around corners well  :driver:   If am honest stage 1 is fine with some good coilovers and brakes and a diff it just transforms the car

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2011, 09:30:21 am »
certainly glad i started this hread, some great info and opinions voiced. 

i think i have decided what to do although the curve ball for me is what Janner Sy said about foing HPFP and induction kit and not bothering about tbe... this seems like a good compromise to improve stage 1 without going balls out butfor now am content to save for diff/clutch after PDT fir arb's/b12 next month

Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline martziniuk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2011, 10:03:39 am »
Not so much engines going bang heavyd, more so turbo's blowing , breaking of blades in the turbo, and being blasted into the engine causing failure.

Have you heard of many Tfsi turbo blades breaking off with standard turbos?
I know there is a good chance of turbo seals blowing.  
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 10:05:58 am by martziniuk »