Make a donation

Author Topic: Is there anyone has gone Stg2/2+ and wished they had not?  (Read 19166 times)

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
Is there anyone has gone Stg2/2+ and wished they had not?
« on: March 09, 2011, 11:01:31 pm »
Chaps, am at Revo Stg 1 now on my ED30 and am getting the suspension off PDT next month. Have done WALK, Eibach arb's, forge quickshifter, Dave B NQSBBK so that will be everthing done apart from uprated clutch/lsd if it starts to slip.

My dilemma is do I spend another £5k (over the next couple of years) to go to Stg 2+ and get clutch/lsd and hit around the 370 bhp mark or do people with ED30's who have gone this far feel that they have not got value for money ie 300bhp stg 1 is relatively cheap to get to but to go all the way is quite a lot more and would that money be better spent saving towards a RWD BMW or a 4WD Audi for example?

I really am torn between making the most out of such a tunable car or saving the $ towards an RS3 or M3 for example in 3 to 5 years. I am fast road user only so am not interested in achieving 1/4 mile times but on other hand the modding bug has bitten alright!

Any thoughts/opinions...
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Saint Steve

Re: Is there anyone has gone Stg2/2+ and wished they had not?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 11:17:23 pm »
get stage 2, Full turbo back exhaust, maybe a bigger intercooler, Cotton air filter without going cold intake, and thats good for 290-300bhp.

Plenty for front wheel drive, gives more torque then stage one further up the rev range, and also doesnt strain the car and its components to its limits without risk of a failure of some sort which could be a very costly one.

Up to you mate, it gets you another 30bhp from 2 to 3 on average, just ask yourself is it really worth it forking out shed loads for little time to use it on the public roads.

Im biased of course being happy on stage 2. But used to stand by std was good enough years ago :signLOL:  :ashamed:

Offline Carrera2RS

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 12:13:36 am »
Why not go Stage 2 with a downpipe, should be 315hp and better midrange torque ?

The whole will cost less than £1k. Then putting the power down is the next useful spend

Offline heavyd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 12:26:36 am »
I thought the same thing when I had stage 2+, then took the HPFP off and sold it, then convinced myself I would stick at stage 2.
two months later, I've fitted an APR fuel pump and looking at getting a stage 3 remap in the next couple of weeks......
Does that answer your question :popcornsoda:

Offline laurent.d

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 10:02:22 am »
I don't understand your point of view Berg...

If you dream to by a RWD BMW or a AWD Audi, then, yes save your money to by them instead of spending it in modding your car.

But not every body is modding his car wishing he would make it look like or performe like an other on he is wishing to own.

I have spent so much money modding my car, I could have afford a brandnew TT S or RS or a RS3, a Porsche Cayman S  or a second hand M3... But it's not what I'm looking for.

I like discreet looking cars like hot hatch that you mod' to make it as fast as you can. Some time faster than the fast looking cars. And I have fun to do it.

But if you don't then, you took the wrong way. So save your money and by the car you realy dream of.
A3 2.0 tfsi DSG S-Line/VWR K04 Turbo kit/Engine Revo Stg 3/Milltek Exhaust/DSG Revo Stg 2/Quaife LSD/Bilstein PSS10/H&R sway bars/Power Grip Morego/VWR Suspension Bushes/VF Engineering Engine Mounts/VWR Lower Mount/OZ Ultraleggera 8x18 ET45/Brembo 328x28 2pcs 4 pot ''A'' caliper/Braille Battery

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 10:02:56 am »
Yes it's a biggish outlay (especially when doing the clutch and wanting to get the LSD), but still, for the money, there's not much that will stick with a Stage 2+ ED30..  :wink:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 10:15:11 am »
I've recently changed back to Stage 2 from Stage 2+. A few reasons really, one was financial and obviously that was a driving factor in my decision. The other was mechanical sympathy for a car I plan to keep for a long time. I just felt the car was at or very near it's peak performance, and like most things if you want them to last you don't run things at full chat for long periods.

Thirdly I got to drive a standard GTI for a few weeks and to be honest I'd forgotten what a fantastic all rounder the GTI is out of the box, and although my car was very focused it had lost some of it's every day drivability and I felt Stage 2 was the best compromise all round.

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 11:47:49 am »
Thanks guys, I think then after listening to Greeners and Carrera; stage 2 would be a good option as I note people like RR have stopped at this level too and like Greeners I would like to keep the car and not risk mechanical failure of key components.

Re Laurent - what i meant to say is I think you get great value from Stg 1 but was not convinced that the considerable outlay to cary on to Stg 2+ (if you factor in clutch and lsd too) is good value if the ED30 struggles for traction (with 370 bhp) and cant get that power down, the money would be better spent on an S3 of Golf R BUT modding your car is more fun than saving  :pomppomp:

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 11:55:23 am »
Just remember that if you do got stage 2 + you can get most of the parts used here saving a load, I bought a used twintercooler and ITG from here and seeing as they are relatively straight forward to fit can be removed easily and most if not all of the value of the parts returned.

PS I'm at stage 2 despite my mods allowing 2+ as the people who tune my car see more faults with stage 2+ cars than any other level of tuning or standard.

GTI Edition 30 No. 907, 3 door, Black. (Now Sold)

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 01:15:11 pm »
Just remember that if you do got stage 2 + you can get most of the parts used here saving a load, I bought a used twintercooler and ITG from here and seeing as they are relatively straight forward to fit can be removed easily and most if not all of the value of the parts returned.

PS I'm at stage 2 despite my mods allowing 2+ as the people who tune my car see more faults with stage 2+ cars than any other level of tuning or standard.

interesting, who tunes your motor rob if you dont mind me asking? Hearing good things about Stattlers and Yorkshire not too far from me but will take it to Pipewerx if/when go Stg 2.

Offline Rob GTI

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 02:04:10 pm »
PM'd
GTI Edition 30 No. 907, 3 door, Black. (Now Sold)

Offline berg

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 04:00:05 pm »
I thought the same thing when I had stage 2+, then took the HPFP off and sold it, then convinced myself I would stick at stage 2.
two months later, I've fitted an APR fuel pump and looking at getting a stage 3 remap in the next couple of weeks......
Does that answer your question :popcornsoda:

is stage 3 only for KO3 cars? If you have KO4 can you go 2+ and then hybrid a la Hurdy?

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 04:17:43 pm »
Hurdy never went hybrid, just NOS.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 05:48:54 pm »

Thanks guys, I think then after listening to Greeners and Carrera; stage 2 would be a good option as I note people like RR have stopped at this level too and like Greeners I would like to keep the car and not risk mechanical failure of key components.

....It's a hard fact that the more you push the performance envelope the more you risk reliability. That's fine as long as someone understands that and accepts it. Personally, I think that handling and 'lsd' mods are more important than a Stage2+ but ETTO of course.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 06:04:56 pm »
i think stage 2+ might actually be to much for a car now in hindsight.

however i really value the midrange of the HPFP.

So i think a stage 1 remap, HPFP, and intake would be the best choice of modifications for me.  id bet that would be similar to stage 2 peak figures, but with better mid range whihc is more usable in everyday life.  plus it save you spending 1100 on a TBE