Make a donation

Author Topic: E30Dom's Edition 30  (Read 65617 times)

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: E30Dom's Edition 30 - GAZ Coilovers on the Horizon...
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2012, 03:22:40 pm »
Cheers Mikey, don't suppose you know the spring rates for KW V3's? :signLOL:

Sorry, no idea.

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2012, 05:46:45 pm »

Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2012, 06:41:01 pm »

Ok after a bit of research I learnt a few more things about springs rates...

Taking the VWR kit and KW Clibsport kits which are 90-170 front and 70-170 rear, this relates to 90n/mm spring rate over free length of 170mm and rear being 70n/mm.

This equates to something 500lbs front and 400lbs rear, which after talking to David at GAZ was a stiff track setup, which the two kits quoted are...

So after some delving, and some help from Hassan at Awesome Gti, he came back with info from KW that the V3's have a spring rate of 50.56n/mm front and 44.17n/mm rear which equates to 285lbs Front/250lbs rear...

As I wanted a slightly stiffere set up between the two, I have gone with 365N/mm front and 310N/mm rear, which is some 20% up on the V3's but no where near as stiff as Clubsports...

David will set up a good window of damping adjustment around these spring rates.

Let the 3week build time commence! ;-)
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2012, 06:49:55 pm »

Dom what would be the cost of me sending a set of V3 springs and having a set made to the same size but at a poundage between the V3 and clubsport?

Used coil springs in Rotherham near me years ago to make custom springs for Gaz dampers but can't remember how much they were.

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2012, 07:15:57 pm »
Dunno, but can certainly enquire for you... ;-)
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2012, 02:26:47 pm »
Car is being serviced @JKM on Saturday morning, new spark plugs, filters, oil etc... Hopefully they are going to check the car over for any faults and check the Revo settings as I seem to still be getting a lot of soot deposits on the boot...

Along with this, I have ordered red coil packs which should brightne the bay a bit, and about to order the revision N PCV vlave and gasket...

Then I know she's totally up together for another 6-8k miles... :signLOL:
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2012, 09:05:07 am »

Car is being serviced @JKM on Saturday morning, new spark plugs, filters, oil etc... Hopefully they are going to check the car over for any faults and check the Revo settings as I seem to still be getting a lot of soot deposits on the boot...

....I was @ JKM Thursday and Friday. I also noticed a bit more sootiness on my rear after Jim had been road testing her! He didn't think it was a problem and said that they are a bit inclined to do that. I've noticed it in the past occasionally. Tell us what JKM say about yours  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2012, 10:21:05 am »

....I was @ JKM Thursday and Friday. I also noticed a bit more sootiness on my rear after Jim had been road testing her! He didn't think it was a problem and said that they are a bit inclined to do that. I've noticed it in the past occasionally. Tell us what JKM say about yours  :happy2:

I'm not expecting them to say/do much about it, just think its the result of a high powered turbo car... Especially one with an apr pump on stage 2... Really want the Intercooler on and stage 2+, but saving for a house, 2nd baby due in 18 weeks and nursery fees just paid, gotta be careful...

Wanna get coilovers on first too...
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2012, 02:01:28 pm »
^^^^
Tell the mother of your children that coilovers help lull young ones to sleep on long journeys. Actually on short journeys too.  :wink:

Or is she already wise to your ways?

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2012, 02:58:18 pm »
Haha she knows what I'm like  :signLOL:

My 1st child was brought home in a very stiff V3'd R32, so only far I treat the 2nd child the same...

Back from JKM, dunno why but I always leave there with a sense of satisfaction and reassurance... All fully serviced... Jim logged the car and found no faults, has dropped the Fuel from F7 to F8, not that he thinks it's made much difference, all boost/and fuel was hitting requested throughout the rev range, no timing pull through the revs, he says it's running "Spot on!" and "feels like it has plenty of grunt" so I'm happy with that... :happy2:

Felt perfect on the steady drive home...  :love:

Oh and the red coil packs are fitted, seemed rude not to as they were changing the plugs... lol

Dom
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2012, 03:07:31 pm »
Pity we weren't at JKM at the same time but I didn't know they were working this Saturday when I booked, nor that you would be there.

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2012, 03:25:34 pm »
All you need now are some Okada stickers to go on the black top of those coil packs for a bit of pseudo-bling.   :smiley:
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2012, 11:07:33 am »
Well the car is absolutely flying! I think with the fresh plugs/oil/fuel filter etc. and possibly the F7 to F8 tweak, it feels fantastically quick... Well happy!

Have just completed my mini project task on the car which was remove the wheels and remove each arch liner, and clean out the mud/leaves/stones/twigs that build up behind them... many years of AX ownership has taught me, mud holding damp against the paint constantly induces rust... so was keen to carry out this maintenance, which I will do yearly from now on...

Method was remove wheel, remove arch liner, dig out the compacted mud/leaves etc., thoroughly wash the underside of the arch with muc-off cleaner, and rinse off to ensure all mud was removed... dry. Wash/scrub the archliner inside and out and dry. Reft arch liner making sure it fits perfect(they fit quite poorly anyway!). Wash the wheel inside/out and refit... repeat at each corner...

This is majority of what I dug out from one arch...

*PHOTO TO BE ADDED ONCE PHOTOBUCKET STARTS WORKING AGAIN* :signLOL:
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2012, 12:18:13 pm »

Have just completed my mini project task on the car which was remove the wheels and remove each arch liner, and clean out the mud/leaves/stones/twigs that build up behind them... many years of AX ownership has taught me, mud holding damp against the paint constantly induces rust... so was keen to carry out this maintenance, which I will do yearly from now on...

Method was remove wheel, remove arch liner, dig out the compacted mud/leaves etc., thoroughly wash the underside of the arch with muc-off cleaner, and rinse off to ensure all mud was removed... dry. Wash/scrub the archliner inside and out and dry. Reft arch liner making sure it fits perfect(they fit quite poorly anyway!). Wash the wheel inside/out and refit... repeat at each corner...

This is majority of what I dug out from one arch...

*PHOTO TO BE ADDED ONCE PHOTOBUCKET STARTS WORKING AGAIN* :signLOL:

....Photobucket is obviously full of all the mud you emptied into it.

About how long did the mud removal etc take you, Dom?

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2012, 12:27:38 pm »
Probably about an hour a corner to carry out the process... Was shocked how much mud had compacted behind the liners... Probably saved about 4kg... Free weight saving lol
Diesel Daily Hack.